Favorite green sweet pepper

Shule
Reactions:

Favorite green sweet pepper

Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:38 pm

I'm on the lookout for prolific OP sweet peppers (meaning 0 SHU) that are very tasty while still green. Chervena Chushka is pretty good, but I have hope there are others. I'm especially interested in those that ripen yellow or orange.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Favorite green sweet pepper

Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:28 pm

Corbaci is really nice, zero heat, and ripens orangy red and is sweet and tasty when colored up, but to my tastes is pretty flavorless in the green stage.

Define tasty in the green stage. Most bell peppers are pretty good, not especially sweet, but still good while green, they taste like a green bell pepper, but do any of the other zero heat non bell green sweet peppers have much in the way of being very tasty on flavor while still green?
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:38 pm

Sand Hill lists Permagreen, supposedly a true green pepper, that never turns color.

For me, a good tasting "green" pepper is one picked just before breaking color. That same pepper picked a few weeks earlier, will be bitter.

K,

Most of the orange bell peppers that I've tried have been very sweet.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:56 pm

karstopography wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:28 pm Corbaci is really nice, zero heat, and ripens orangy red and is sweet and tasty when colored up, but to my tastes is pretty flavorless in the green stage.

Define tasty in the green stage. Most bell peppers are pretty good, not especially sweet, but still good while green, they taste like a green bell pepper, but do any of the other zero heat non bell green sweet peppers have much in the way of being very tasty on flavor while still green?
By tasty, I mean savory or fruity or potent (somehow), or something like that. However, I don't mean sweet but otherwise flavorless, and I don't mean Tylenol bitter (some bitterness is fine, but there should be other flavor with it, and it should be edible; if it's a bitter that someone could perceivably like, feel free to mention it). I don't mean mild.

Hot peppers more often have the type of qualities in flavor that I'm looking for, but sometimes sweet peppers have them, too. (Like Canary Bell and Coral Bell do when they're not green. They have an orange Habanero-type taste; not as strong, but strong enough to mention it.)

A very strong standard bell-pepper taste would also be something I would consider tasty (but not a very mild bell-pepper taste). This is kind of how Chervena Chushka is (I wouldn't quite call it *very* strong, though, but far above average), although that's not an exact description of its flavor (just an approximation close to what people might understand without tasting it first).
Last edited by Shule on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:02 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:38 pm Sand Hill lists Permagreen, supposedly a true green pepper, that never turns color.

For me, a good tasting "green" pepper is one picked just before breaking color. That same pepper picked a few weeks earlier, will be bitter.

K,

Most of the orange bell peppers that I've tried have been very sweet.
I've been wondering what Permagreen tastes like. I'd love to hear about it from anyone who has tried it.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:10 pm

So, in essence, I'm looking for rare 0 SHU peppers that don't taste like most 0 SHU peppers (while green). I'm not saying 0 SHU peppers are rare; I mean it's rare that they don't taste like most other green 0 SHU peppers.

Paulf
Reactions:

Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:39 am

With my relatively short growing season for peppers, most picked here ARE green. Even at that, my favorites are Giant Aconcagua and Frank's Sweet. Both are quite large and very sweet. They will turn red late in the season but usually are harvested as the season goes along while still green.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:18 am

Mama Mia Giallo, (Yellow), Carmen, Giant Marconi, Sweet Goliath are all in our permanent rotation: 0 SHU, large, thick-walled, sweet, crunchy, and all (IMO) OUT_OF_THIS_EVERLUVIN'_WORLD from the grill!

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

peebee
Reactions:

Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:04 am

Okay okay I can't figure it out what does 0 SHU stand for??
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:10 am

@peebee
It stands for no heat (not even a little tingle). The numbers are Scoville units. So, the world's hottest pepper, the Carolina Reaper, is about two million SHU. Bell peppers are usually 0. Jalapenos are maybe 10k SHU. Cayenne is maybe 50k SHU. Habaneros are about 300k SHU. Ghost peppers are about a million. Superhots range between about a million and two million, I think.

peebee
Reactions:

Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:28 am

Oh, got it: Scoville Heat Units. I kept thinking the 0(zero) was perhaps a typo for the letter O.
I'm also looking for a great green pepper, if it turns red that's fine with me. Have grown Yolo Wonders for a few years now, but want to try something new.
I want a true bell shaped pepper though, not a chile long shape.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Yak54
Reactions:

Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Shule wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:38 pm I'm on the lookout for prolific OP sweet peppers (meaning 0 SHU) that are very tasty while still green. Chervena Chushka is pretty good, but I have hope there are others. I'm especially interested in those that ripen yellow or orange.
I've grown Chervena Chushka for the last 7 or 8 years along with Tolli's Sweet Italian. Both are good but Tolli's is earlier by about 2 wks.
Dan

Return to “Sweet Peppers”