Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions:
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A

Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#1

Post: # 82109Unread post PlainJane
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:40 am

Check these out … I want them all.

'ROSA MANTOVANO' is just insanely beautiful - too bad it’s out of stock at the moment.

https://uprisingorganics.com/collections/chicory
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
karstopography
Reactions:
Posts: 4038
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 am
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#2

Post: # 82113Unread post karstopography
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:07 am

Yes, I’m sort of a sucker for these pretty chicory and radicchio.

I ordered Escarole “Matilde” and “Divina” lettuce, plus the “Astro” arugula from Uprising. The plan is to plant them in the next week or so.

I planted Palla Rossa Mavrik Radicchio Seeds from botanical interest Sunday I think. I’m also growing castelfranco radicchio and another endive, the name escapes me. Those are up and growing.

I think these pretty salad greens and chicories and such are wonderful things things to grow. They are hard to impossible to find in grocery stores and brighten up salads or make great additions to soups. And, they look so pretty in the garden.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

User avatar
Bower
Reactions:
Posts: 4061
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:44 pm
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#3

Post: # 82118Unread post Bower
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:32 am

Wow what a great selection they have. Gorgeous.
I love the Astro arugula @karstopography because it's large leafed, the right intensity of flavorful, and really fast growing. It does bolt fairly soon but it's so fast to grow, doesn't matter.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

User avatar
karstopography
Reactions:
Posts: 4038
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 am
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#4

Post: # 82120Unread post karstopography
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:41 am

Some arugula is too spicy for me. I grew Astro before and liked it much better and it is a quick to bolt one. I’m also growing “runway” arugula this season. It’s supposed to be a mild one.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions:
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#5

Post: # 82124Unread post PlainJane
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:31 am

I’ve grown Rhodos (endive), Grumolo Biondo Golden (chicory) and Castelfranco. My seed is getting old but I started some about 10 days ago and am getting germination so now I have a dilemma; find somewhere else to plant these and give in to seed lust … or … resist and plan for new varieties next year.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Shule
Reactions:
Posts: 2493
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Location: SW Idaho, USA

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#6

Post: # 82184Unread post Shule
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:31 pm

karstopography wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:41 am Some arugula is too spicy for me. I grew Astro before and liked it much better and it is a quick to bolt one. I’m also growing “runway” arugula this season. It’s supposed to be a mild one.
Huh. I don't know if I've ever had spicy arugula. Bitter, but not spicy. Is it like hot radishes? I've always grown it in the shade, though, and I haven't grown it very many times.

There is a Wasabi arugula.

I don't doubt you that arugula can be spicy. I'm curious to hear more about it, though.
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

User avatar
Shule
Reactions:
Posts: 2493
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Location: SW Idaho, USA

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#7

Post: # 82186Unread post Shule
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:33 pm

For anyone who grows these chicories/radicchio/witloof/etc., I'm curious to know if they're as easy to grow as regular chicory, and how bitter they are compared to regular chicory.
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

User avatar
karstopography
Reactions:
Posts: 4038
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 am
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#8

Post: # 82199Unread post karstopography
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:16 pm

Shule wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:31 pm
karstopography wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:41 am Some arugula is too spicy for me. I grew Astro before and liked it much better and it is a quick to bolt one. I’m also growing “runway” arugula this season. It’s supposed to be a mild one.
Huh. I don't know if I've ever had spicy arugula. Bitter, but not spicy. Is it like hot radishes? I've always grown it in the shade, though, and I haven't grown it very many times.

There is a Wasabi arugula.

I don't doubt you that arugula can be spicy. I'm curious to hear more about it, though.
Maybe spicy isn’t the right word because the heat is different than chili pepper heat. I’m thinking more like wasabi at a sushi place kind of heat. Horseradish, something more like that.

The heat overtakes the essential arugula flavor and makes it unpleasant. I wouldn’t call it bitterness either, though. I drink and enjoy wormwood tea (absinthe type) and while very bitter, there’s zero heat in wormwood.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

User avatar
Bower
Reactions:
Posts: 4061
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:44 pm
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#9

Post: # 82200Unread post Bower
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:16 pm

I had another arugula called Voyager, supposedly closer to the perennial type, and also grew some Dragon's Tongue one year. Both of these had much smaller leaves with very intense flavor. Yes you could call them spicy. For sure, a much smaller amount to add to any dish for the same amount of flavor - you pretty much had to use them as a 'spice' not as a vegetable. The Voyager almost made it to the second year but got nailed by spring frosts. But it did seed itself and now and then I get a volunteer. Not sure if they crossed with the Astro but one plant was larger with somewhat larger leaves and, it seemed to me, a more moderate flavor. Not that close to Astro, but a notch down from the original. Really very nice indeed, but still pretty much a spice.
I had a chicory that came to me in a swap as 'Italian Dandelion'. Bitter for sure but very nice, and really pretty flowers. Similar to the one labeled "Catalogna" in the catalogue above. Looking a lot like dandelion, but the animals clearly could tell the difference, and chowed on the chicory every chance while the dandelions next to them were left be.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

User avatar
Shule
Reactions:
Posts: 2493
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Location: SW Idaho, USA

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#10

Post: # 82212Unread post Shule
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:10 pm

karstopography wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:16 pm
Shule wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:31 pm
karstopography wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:41 am Some arugula is too spicy for me. I grew Astro before and liked it much better and it is a quick to bolt one. I’m also growing “runway” arugula this season. It’s supposed to be a mild one.
Huh. I don't know if I've ever had spicy arugula. Bitter, but not spicy. Is it like hot radishes? I've always grown it in the shade, though, and I haven't grown it very many times.

There is a Wasabi arugula.

I don't doubt you that arugula can be spicy. I'm curious to hear more about it, though.
Maybe spicy isn’t the right word because the heat is different than chili pepper heat. I’m thinking more like wasabi at a sushi place kind of heat. Horseradish, something more like that.

The heat overtakes the essential arugula flavor and makes it unpleasant. I wouldn’t call it bitterness either, though. I drink and enjoy wormwood tea (absinthe type) and while very bitter, there’s zero heat in wormwood.
I would call what you describe spicy/hot. Mine weren't like that, though. They just had arugula flavor and a lot of bitterness (about the same kind of bitterness that chicory can get). They were tough, too (not tender).
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions:
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#11

Post: # 82222Unread post PlainJane
Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:29 pm

I have the Wasabi arugula and I have to say - I like it. It does taste almost exactly like wasabi. I grow a few kinds and it’s the spiciest by far. A little goes a long way in a salad.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions:
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#12

Post: # 82249Unread post PlainJane
Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:24 am

Turns out I have no self control when it comes to seeds.
Ordered
Radicchio (Variegato di Lusia), 'Delta'
Curly Endive, 'Capriccio'
Radicchio (Rosa di Veneto), 'Rosato'
Plus 2 more bush snap beans and a zinnia.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions:
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#13

Post: # 82251Unread post PlainJane
Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:32 am

Shule wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:33 pm For anyone who grows these chicories/radicchio/witloof/etc., I'm curious to know if they're as easy to grow as regular chicory, and how bitter they are compared to regular chicory.
We will find out!
The chicory and radicchio I’ve grown before has been the best tasting when there were fewer winter warm spells. I never tried them when I was up in New England; wish I had.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
karstopography
Reactions:
Posts: 4038
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:15 am
Location: Southeast Texas

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#14

Post: # 82253Unread post karstopography
Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:41 am

Yes, I think colder weather and around freezing temperatures improves the flavor of these.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

Danny
Reactions:
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#15

Post: # 82417Unread post Danny
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:32 pm

PlainJane wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:24 am Turns out I have no self control when it comes to seeds.
Ordered
Radicchio (Variegato di Lusia), 'Delta'
Curly Endive, 'Capriccio'
Radicchio (Rosa di Veneto), 'Rosato'
Plus 2 more bush snap beans and a zinnia.
Amateur. LOL.

Lordy, I went there, I saw and then was conquered, and not only bought waaaaayyy too much and some of those beautiful chickories, but found a sweet pea I had been looking for, waverly. That pea is a pain in the sitdown, have to get bent over as it is short and tiny tiny peas so you are shelling like crazy...but taste so very beyond good they are worth it.

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions:
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#16

Post: # 82441Unread post PlainJane
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:21 am

@Danny best of luck with your haul. What growing conditions do you have?
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Danny
Reactions:
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#17

Post: # 82494Unread post Danny
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:33 pm

North Texas, Wichita falls area. Hot, tends to be droughty again.

Some of those chicories were so beautiful to look at.

Curly Endive, 'Bellesque' × 1
Pkt


$3.85
Escarole, 'Matilde' × 1
Pkt


$4.50
Radicchio (Variegato di Castelfranco), 'Mirabella' × 1
Pkt


$4.50
Radicchio, 'Rosa Isontina' × 1

plus 30 other things...

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions:
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#18

Post: # 83009Unread post PlainJane
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:18 pm

I started 5 seeds each of the new Radicchio varieties and am so excited to see what happens.
If I can find a few spare inches after the onions go in I’ll start some of the curly endive too.
3DEB6CC2-5CFF-4436-9769-E9CAC00D1BCC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions:
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#19

Post: # 87685Unread post PlainJane
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:51 pm

Nice article about the collaboration between Smarties.bio and Uprising Seeds.
https://www.growingformarket.com/articl ... hio-rising
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Sue_CT
Reactions:
Posts: 3365
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:03 pm
Location: Connecticut Zone 6A

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

#20

Post: # 87699Unread post Sue_CT
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:55 pm

Now you got me started, lol. I love the looks of the ROSA MANTOVANO but had to google it because it is no longer on the site you linked to. I found it on
Etsy for an outrageous price, especially when shipping was added in, so I had some more seeds. Dilute the cost of the shipping per pack, lol. But I never grow lettuce, haven't tried in 15 or 20 years. I have bunnies, lol. Will have to figure out some protection. Hope it is not difficult to grow. I wonder if it would survive in early spring if started inside? I think I should have read more about it first. Never heard of a lettuce that is 130-150 days to harvest! Not sure this is possible in New England, lol. Dang. I don't even try tomatoes that are over 90 days unless I get a moment of temporary insanity. :lol: Hope it wasn't a waste of money.

Post Reply

Return to “Salad Greens/Lettuces and Micro Greens”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests