yardlong bean varieties?

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

yardlong bean varieties?

Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:41 pm

If you've grown several types of yardlong beans, what differences have you found between them?
Red Noodle beans grow very well here, especially toward the end of the hot, dry summer.
The color makes it easier to find them, and I like them, but I'd like to try other varieties. Recommendations?

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: yardlong bean varieties?

Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:59 pm

I have grown many types of long beans through the years. Many of the usual green long beans would become hollow by the time they got to a little over a foot, so I did not continue to grow the varieties. Red Noodle beans were the first ones I grew that would get very long - often over 30 inches - before becoming hollow, and producing beans. The only time this didn't happen, and they would get hollow and filled with beans early, was when it would get very hot - close to 100°. It didn't seem to happen even in the lower 90s, and they produced when most beans stop producing. They are late starting, however - 80 to 85 days.

A second red long bean that I got from Baker Creek years ago (though for some reason they stopped carrying it, so I save it now) was Thai Purple Podded Yard Long Bean, that is similar to red noodle, but earlier - around 65 days. Also heat resistant, and stays solid, unless very hot.

Another green Thai long bean that I tried long ago (that they also stopped carrying), was the longest (42" longest) and thickest of any I ever grew. However, it was way too late, well into September, which I think was a length of day thing, so I never grew it again.

I got another green asparagus bean this year, in a trade, that is supposed to be good, but haven't tried it yet.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Re: yardlong bean varieties?

Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:17 pm

I ended up getting Akasanjaku from Kitizawa and Thai Soldier long bean from Baker Creek. So I will have a green one and a purple-streaked one in addition to the purple Red Noodle.

Return to “Other Vegetables/Plant Identification”