Making Indian spice mixes - masalas

What's cooking?
worth1
Reactions:

Re: Making Indian spice mixes - masalas

Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:35 am

I watched a video on the history of this type of spices and cooking.
I'll try to find it.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Making Indian spice mixes - masalas

Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:28 pm

I made two more masalas today - one, a garam masala, since I had used almost the end of my last batch of it, when I made that butter chicken recently. The other, a biryani masala, with very similar spices, in different proportions, and some mild Kashmiri peppers added, and a small amount of turmeric. Here are the sources for the recipes, and the only change I made was on the biryani, to which I added approximately 3 stone flowers (dagad phool), which was in another good recipe I made before.
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/garam ... ner-135523 The first of the two recipes here.
https://www.tarladalal.com/biryani-masala-42034r

There's a method to my obsessive madness! Some spices roast/toast in the pans faster or slower, so I measure the similar types out into the same containers (or 2 containers, for larger amounts). Even over med-low flames, they toast fairly quickly, and at the end, I raise the heat a little, and toast the chilies, which I do with the Bayless method of pressing a couple of them down against the surface of the pan, 7 or 8 sec, then flipping them, and pressing again - my favorite way of toasting chilies.
ImageAll the spices I used in the two masalas I made today, plus a few that I didn't use. LOL by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAll the spices measured out for the Biryani Masala (l), and the Garam Masala (r), 15 spices each. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAll the masala spices pan roasted, Biryani on L, and Garam on R, the ones not roasted separate. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBiryani masala, on left, with the Garam masala, just ground. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Recipes”