Re: pepperhead212's 2023 garden

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Re: pepperhead212's 2023 garden

Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:25 pm

@pepperhead212 You sure have a way with those two plants. You have had them growing for a long time now and they sill look great.
~ Patti ~

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:35 pm

Today I trimmed those lime trees back, to get ready to bring indoors, and cleaned all the trays out, to get everything set. And I did what I did with the bay and curry trees - sprayed the lime trees with H2O2 solution, and soaked the soil and pots with the remaining solution. Earlier, I sprayed the bay and curry trees with the orange and neem oil mix. I brought those indoors tonight, because rain is supposed to start tomorrow. I have to wait until it's dry, to do the oil spray on the lime trees (the latest thing I had to dry, overnight, was the "pruning paint", or sealer, or whatever you want to call it, which I brushed on all those cut stems.

Here's all those trimmed stems from the lime leaves (and I actually jammed them down in the can, so they wouldn't be near my hands, when I carry it!). Anyone cooking any Thai food?

ImageTrimmed away kaffir lime tree branches. 10-19 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Those lime trees, in the slightly larger 14 gal pots (compared to 10 gal, for the other two), are considerably heavier, but I decided to drag them onto the back porch, to prevent them from getting heavier, with that rain! I'll wait a couple of days to bring them in, probably on wheels, and help of a friend!
ImageThe two makrut/kaffir lime trees, trimmed WAY back, to bring inside. 10-19 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Something else I saw, when spraying those trees, was the Thai basil with a bunch of new growth on it, after cutting a bunch of flowers off, about a week ago. Surprised me, because of the cool weather I've had here. So I cut most of it, and from about 2 c of the cuttings, I took 3 of the best, and will try to root them. I went through the other basils, but only found one cutting I might be able to root, but that's all I need - one plant of each in the hydroponics (which I started getting things ready for, too!). I put those cuttings in another pot that I stuck 2 sticks from that curry tree in, to try to root, though that has not worked for me, when tried before. Maybe I'll be lucky this time.
Image3 Thai basil, 1 Serrata basil, and 2 curry tree cuttings, trying to root. 10-19 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bower
Reactions:

Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:38 pm

I'm so impressed you can bring those trees indoors for the winter. I had such a sad time with spider mites on citrus trees I bought (maybe came with them). Kudos for a pest control method that works.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:41 pm

@bower Another pest control method I came up with for the first time this season is spraying around the base of the plants with this STEM insecticide - something I got in spring, that finally got rid of some ants, I was having trouble with, coming back no matter what I did! I got it from Dollar General, at almost half price! Had a coupon for $7, for buying two @$7.50 each, so I got a spray bottle, labeled Kills Ants, Roaches, and Flies, and an aerosol labeled Kills Ants, Roaches, and Spiders. They have the same active ingredients in them, same amount (.5%) of Lemongrass Oil, and the spray bottle 6.5% Geraniol, the Aerosol 6.0%, so little different about them! I used the aerosol in the basement, in areas where I was having problems with spiders, and haven't walked into a web since then - don't you hate that! I thought I would spray around the base of the plants, to try to avoid ants - a problem I have had, since they are farmers of scale insects, which are the problem I have had a couple of times. No problem with spider mites, KOW, but maybe this stuff will help with those.

Is that Geraniol in any garden sprays? It seems the lemongrass oil wasn't that effective on its own, in something I tried on those ants, before the STEM - they would be gone, but back in a few days.

I have rarely had a problem with spider mites on my indoor plants (or outside, KOW), except for a few herbs I tried just once each inside - sage, tarragon, and Vietnamese coriander. They would get spider mites, and they would spread to some neighboring plants, but as soon as I'd pull the herbs, I wouldn't see another SM all winter! Really strange...
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bower
Reactions:

Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:29 am

@pepperhead212 I've seen geraniol in mosquito repellents. Those have to be frequently re-applied, so my guess that the repellency wears off as it evaporates. Good to know that it works on ants, even temporarily!
Most everything I've seen for ants involves borax or boric acid as the active ingredient, and that definitely works although it takes some time.
Indoor conditions here get very dry by midwinter due to the home heating effect, except in the basement. It is tough on plants except for those desert adapted creatures like aloes. I had some potted up sage last winter, and they really suffered in my office, rosemary too. They were glad to get out into the much colder greenhouse! I think the extreme dryness favors spider mites.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:16 pm

I picked another dozen or so Datil today, but the thing I noticed the most was all of the flowers on the Thai Vesuvius plant, and looking closer, countless little buds, not open yet, and even more, already set from recent flowers. I last picked all of the full sized green and red peppers on about 10-9, and that triggered this 4th huge flush of flowers. I usually get 3 flushes with these, which is a lot of peppers! I had sort of been ignoring them, given all the garlic planting, trimming the trees to bring indoors, and now my hydroponics (plus maybe because I already have more peppers than I know what to do with! :lol:), but I noticed these when walking by them today. None of the others perform like this - I don't know why I keep trying new ones! These are like a determinate tomato, but producing about the same, or more, in future flushes.
ImageThe 4th flush of flowers/peppers on the Thai Vesuvius! 10-22 Usually get 3 flushes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I don't know how these peppers are still producing so much, as we've been having lows in the 40s lately, and below average temps overall. But later in the week it is supposed to get into the high 70s, which is well above average! Crazy weather.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:27 pm

Today I got the water in my hydroponics, and tested the pumps, lighting, and got the last of the MaxiGro in the small system - had to order another 2.2 lbs, which lasts me a little over 2 years, and that's what I use in the seedlings, too, in very small amounts. I got a couple of seeds started in coir pellets, to set in the clay pellets by next week. By then, I'll have the nutrients stabilized. I also put in a little of that Mosquito Dunk stuff, crumbled up - takes care of the fungus gnats, like the Bt israelensis solution does for the potted plants.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:49 pm

Yesterday I got the new pack of MaxiGro, and added a small amount of it to what was already in the water - like adding salt, or other seasonings when cooking, you can always add more, but you can't take it out! It was up to 15-16 EC, and I'm looking to get around 18-20 EC . So it's close, and will be there, by the time I get the seedlings ready.

After that, I got more seeds planted in those coir pellets. Besides the 2 parsley I started before, which I soaked in GA3 overnight, I started the following, mostly just one of each (all I usually need!). That GA3 I soaked the parsley with, I used to wet the tops of the rest of the pellets, after planting the seeds.

2 pechay bok choy
Russian red kale
Wasabina mustard greens
Mizuna, green
Leaf lettuce, saved seeds
Leaf lettuce, green salad bowl
Dill, dukat
Basil, serrata (cuttings also, but I'll see which is better)
Basil, dolce fresca
Basil, Thai Siam queen (cuttings with this, too)
2 cilantro, leisure (a new variety to me, I got from an Asian seed market)

I also have some cuttings from that red epazote, which usually roots well, and some peppermint, and some chives I'll dig up, and sterilize in some H202 solution.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

AKgardener
Reactions:

Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:58 pm

IMG_4944.jpeg
@pepperhead212I purchased a lemon and time tree earlier this summer it came with a crap ton of gnats but it bloomed inside great but I had to toss them both so I dumped em out and through then in the woods yes I did my bad. That being said they lived haha and both produce 1 lemon 1 lime so I decided to save en clean the roots re pot and walla back indoors under lights they just bloomed again and I have 7 new baby lemons and 3 new limes i got to use my lime the other day with a cold one it was amazing. Lemon didn’t work out but it really can be done inside my husband won’t stop talking about it haha that I actually produce citrus in Alaska inside outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:19 pm

@AKgardener Don't you have to deal with those fungus gnats with just about everything else inside? I never see one, as long as I take prophylactic measures with everything.

That is crazy that those citrus actually lived outside up there!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

AKgardener
Reactions:

Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:46 pm

@Pepperman 8 out of 10 I never get gnats it’s seems when I get them from outside source I get them or put some kind of granular fertilizer in therm then they just pop up . I generally just use cocoa coir and perlite and I don’t get any that way .but I got new dirt Alaska soil so far I got a few running around now

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:54 pm

Yesterday evening, I got the mesh pots set up in almost all of the hydroponics systems, and about 1/3 the clay pellets in them, to set the coir pellets on, when the seedlings start growing in them. Then the rest of the clay pellets get piled in around the coir pellets.

ImageAlmost all of the hydroponics pots, set up with some of the clay pellets. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:15 pm

I harvested some of the last tomatoes of the season - all plants that these came from were pulled, except for the two Brandyboy. These, plus 2 Juliets, and 2 sunsugars are the last 6 tomato plants out there. I left those because they still have a bunch of fruits left, and those sunsugar and juliet ripen quickly.
ImageSome of the last tomatoes of the season. All these plants except the Brandyboy, the 4 largest, got pulled. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also pulled all of my eggplants, bitter melons, and some late season cucumbers, that produced very little. Peppers, however, are still producing! They are usually the earliest to succumb to the cold, other than basil.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:22 pm

Today, before it got warmer (84° today!), and before the sun started covering the plants, I harvested most of my remaining peppers - the only ones remaining are the smaller ones, which I have way more of than I need! Most of these will get frozen, since this way, they are frozen for the shortest time. I harvested all of the ripe and ripening peppers, as well as larger green ones. With the C. chinense peppers, I harvested ripe, and ripening peppers, but left the full sized ones that might still ripen - Tuesday or Wednesday night will probably be the last night for them, but weather changes!
Imageprobably the last harvest of the largest chiles, due to upcoming cold. 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe last of the Jalapeños, a few ripening, 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe last ripe and full sized green Aruna peppers, 10-28. Still a large number of much smaller ones. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe last ripe and ripening orange Datil and red Aji Dulce peppers, 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe last of the Red Savina habanero peppers, and only 2 green ones. 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:29 pm

Has anyone tried the sweet n neet pepper and the purple jalapeño pepper?? I just ordered those to try with the sweet confetti peppers and early jalapeño

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:55 pm

I tried those purple jalapeños years ago, and was not impressed with the unripe flavor - their "green" flavor. Had some bitterness, until they started to ripen. But this was many years ago, so they might be different now.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:16 pm

Ok good to know thanks

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:09 pm

I brought in my last two fall plants today - the largest lime trees. I didn't want any rain to fall in them, and it is supposed to rain later, plus the temps are supposed to be getting down to freezing soon, so I wheeled those in, plus turned off the water, and drained those pipes out there. All I harvested was the Syrian oregano and marjoram.
Soon, the leaves will start dropping fast around here!
ImageSyrian oregano (thyme scented), one of my herbs that dries well. 10-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageMarjoram - only harvested about half of what I did of the Syrian oregano, since I use a lot more of that. 10-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAll 4 plants in today. Might rain later today, and I didn't want those lime trees to get heavier! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After bringing the lime trees inside, I put some Bt israelensis in the upper layers of each pot (for fungus gnats), then watered them from the bottoms - a total of 2 gal each, and they will suck up more, those went so fast! Those had been drying out quite a while, so I could move them.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:23 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:41 pm @bower Another pest control method I came up with for the first time this season is spraying around the base of the plants with this STEM insecticide - something I got in spring, that finally got rid of some ants, I was having trouble with, coming back no matter what I did! I got it from Dollar General, at almost half price! Had a coupon for $7, for buying two @$7.50 each, so I got a spray bottle, labeled Kills Ants, Roaches, and Flies, and an aerosol labeled Kills Ants, Roaches, and Spiders. They have the same active ingredients in them, same amount (.5%) of Lemongrass Oil, and the spray bottle 6.5% Geraniol, the Aerosol 6.0%, so little different about them! I used the aerosol in the basement, in areas where I was having problems with spiders, and haven't walked into a web since then - don't you hate that! I thought I would spray around the base of the plants, to try to avoid ants - a problem I have had, since they are farmers of scale insects, which are the problem I have had a couple of times. No problem with spider mites, KOW, but maybe this stuff will help with those.

Is that Geraniol in any garden sprays? It seems the lemongrass oil wasn't that effective on its own, in something I tried on those ants, before the STEM - they would be gone, but back in a few days.

I have rarely had a problem with spider mites on my indoor plants (or outside, KOW), except for a few herbs I tried just once each inside - sage, tarragon, and Vietnamese coriander. They would get spider mites, and they would spread to some neighboring plants, but as soon as I'd pull the herbs, I wouldn't see another SM all winter! Really strange...
I have about a hundred pages of research notes on mites. Geraniol is an ingredient in Trifecta Crop Control and Smite insecticide. Here's what Cornell University says about geraniol.

Mites were attracted by low concentrations (0.001 μL) of geraniol, uninfluenced by a medium concentration (0.01 μL), and repelled by high concentrations (0.1 μL) (Bowen-Walker et al.1997). Along with farnesol, geraniol is a component of mite female sex pheromones, which can be used to prematurely attract the male and disrupt the mating cycle (Regev and Cone 1975). Geraniol was shown to be moderately toxic (LC50 = 219.69 mg/l) to the two-spotted spider mite (Tetranychus urticae) (Badawy et al. 2010). Experiments show that geraniol can have a synergistic effect to lower the toxicity of other acaricides used to control populations of the two-spotted spider mite, thereby lessening the effectiveness of the acaricides, such as bifenthrin, chlorfenapyr (Pylon), pyridaben, and tebufenpyrad (Van Pottelberge et al. 2008
https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/ ... sequence=1

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:24 pm

I harvested the last of my tomatoes today, since there is a freeze watch here tonight - only supposed to get to 34° in my area, but many areas are forecast for well below freezing. There should definitely be bad frost, so I pulled all the tomatoes, except for the very small ones. Only a few had ripened since the last harvest, but there are many more full sized ones. Maybe I will make some pickled cherry tomatoes with a few of them.
ImageLast of the tomatoes, assuming that it freezes tonight, as predicted. 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today I harvested the rest of my peppers, and I was shocked at how many more full sized peppers there were on that one Datil plant! Only a few more jalapeños, and that was on 6 or 7 plants. The Maui Purples weren't harvested last time, so they have been ripening for quite a while. Tonight it might freeze, but it will definitely frost, and I doubt the peppers will live.
ImageA few more jalapeños, all the ripe Maui Purples, and the orange Hanoi Markets, 11-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I only got one more Aji Dulce, but I didn't even count the Datil!

ImageMore Datil peppers, from just the one plant. Harvested all of them, due to the freeze forecast tonight. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”