First year starting onions from seed

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

First year starting onions from seed

Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:45 am

My neighbor gave me some walla walla sets last year. Got them in the ground late, but they still did really well. So have researched the topic of starting from seed, here and elsewhere.Started these in late Dec. Have under lights with a timer set for 8 hours a day, room pretty dark even when light out. Read somewhere to NOT have lights on more than 12 hours cause that is what triggers bulbing. Ia 8 hours long enuff??? Three varieties, from Baker Creek. Red of Florence, Alisa Craig and Globo. Wanted Walla Walla but they did not carry it. Others have them, but not these others, so only wanted to pay for 1 shipping, cheap that I am. 2 will be similar to WW, 1 of those longer storing, and the red longer too. Bought the containers at the Dollar-Twenty-Five store for---- you guessed it $1.25. Bought 6 and had tops on until they started popping. I did mix in some root starter before planting seeds but not an regular organic, forgot that. So they will have to survive on the blue liquid, no way to mix granular into the seed trays. Mass planted and will pop them out as I move them outside in a few months. Regret not getting the Walla's now. Any input welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Re: First year starting onions from seed

Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:56 am

Those containers look like a good depth for onion seedlings. The regular cell packs that I have are not quite as deep as recommended for maximum sizing up.
Your seedlings look great. :) I guess you'll be giving them their first haircut soon. That's the other thing touted as most important for sizing up.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:57 am

You might consider keeping them trimmed to about 3" tall. It keeps them from flopping everywhere (especially with the seed heads on there) and they'll direct energy into roots and thickness rather than getting tall.

I've not heard about the 8 hours of light a day thing. Mine get about 12 hours and I've never had a problem with them. After two months mine are about 1/8" thick but they get planted out at that size, both scallions and bulbing types. Here in Georgia that means planting in October for bulbing onions but I plant out scallions year round, trying to never be out. Last year I tested planting some in late April and with good mulch they made it through summer heat just fine. I just started more seed two days ago for march plant out.

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:28 am

Bower, I kinda knew that about depth, and after they were up wished I had put mixture closer to the top of the container. Containers are 4" from top to bottom, with only about 2.5" of soil, which maybe settled 1/4 inch. Should have filled to near top. I had seen some starter cells for individual plants that were deep, so was looking for trays deeper than what I had. Mental slip on my inexperience. Would have been easier to trim the tops too. Go Dawgs, maybe its just don't let them go over 12 hours a day. These are all bulbing Long day, 1 kinda intermidaite/long. Gonna go trim em now.

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:24 am

Let me ask you guys this. These are all bulbing onions, zone 5, fairly long time to maturity. I have read much on when to start seeds, Baker C. says start seed 8-12 weeks before plant out, which is 3-4 weeks before last frost. Which here is around mid May, tho I have several times been in the garden spraying down tomato plants at 5 in the morning cause of heavy frost. Any way this would mean mid april for plant out of onions. 12 weeks prior would be as early as mid Dec. for starting seeds. I have read mid Dec. thru mid Feb. for seed starting. For my area. Big discrepancy. I wen with late Dec., saw crops on a FB group from a lady said she started in Dec. always. Probably not that critical I'm guessing. What do you all think. As it stands I plan on getting them in ground the 1st week of April. But not sure when they will reach full maturity. Hopefully late sept.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:54 pm

The trick with long day onions is to get the plants as large as possible before the longest day (June 21st), since that is when they start bulbing.
Giving them a trim and feeding them ferts encourages them to thicken up and take advantage of the early start from seed.
So the tradeoff for plant out date, depending on your climate, is whether it's warm enough for them to grow better outdoors than inside. At least, that's the issue here because we have crazy cold springs often right into June. Most people will plant sets as soon as the ground can be worked, but seedlings which aren't yet established can be damaged by temperatures below freezing, or daytime highs that are too low can cause them to bolt or to bulb early at the expense of your crop. Much depends on the variety afaik.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:02 pm

I'm starting shallots, leeks, ramps, and chives tomorrow. Also parsley, rosemary, lavender, and a few other herbs that grow slowly.

I think I'm just going to get onion sets though. They're easier and I've only got limited space in the plant incubators.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:19 am

@TheMad_Poet, I just noticed your location so I will defer to those in your area for all questions about onion timing! Down here we plant in the fall. That's why I have a really hard time storing onions as it gets hot here after harvest and I have no basement or cool area for that.

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:07 am

Been keeping trimmed. Just letting the tops fall into the container. Too difficult to do otherwise. Pulled up a few trying to grasp before trimming. Thanx for the info Bower. Hoping I don't have to pot up, that would be a lot of work. If they get too big and crowded I may try thinning the weak. Hoping to just break them apart at planting time, and straight into the ground. They will spend some time in my little greenhouse when I get it set up this spring, to get acclimated to weather and sun.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:27 pm

So I have seed here, walla walla burpee from the store and ailsa craig and a spanish yellow from last year. Last year I started in soil blocks under lights and they did so-so. I didn't start until near the end of Feb.

I really don't want to run the lights yet.

I was going to just start them outside in pots and maybe put some plastic over them to get them warmer during the day. Is that a bad plan? At this point I have little initiative to get anything at all started. I do plan to do more onions this year than I did last year.

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:11 pm

GoDawgs wrote: ↑Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:19 am @TheMad_Poet, I just noticed your location so I will defer to those in your area for all questions about onion timing! Down here we plant in the fall. That's why I have a really hard time storing onions as it gets hot here after harvest and I have no basement or cool area for that.
Do you have any room for diverse/perennial/multiplier shallots? Bower just sent to me what looks like a few thousand seeds. :shock:

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:25 am

JRinPA wrote: ↑Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:27 pm So I have seed here, walla walla burpee from the store and ailsa craig and a spanish yellow from last year. Last year I started in soil blocks under lights and they did so-so. I didn't start until near the end of Feb.

I really don't want to run the lights yet.

I was going to just start them outside in pots and maybe put some plastic over them to get them warmer during the day. Is that a bad plan? At this point I have little initiative to get anything at all started. I do plan to do more onions this year than I did last year.
JR you are spot on starting now. You can even soak the onion seeds overnight to give them a head start. Starting indoors would be closer to the optimal temp of 77-85 especially with frigid nights hanging around. If you have a deep round container (like 32 oz cottage cheese) use this to dense plant to get deep roots before separating at plant out. Not sure about growing without lights as day length is still creeping towards 12 hours.
- Lisa

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:15 am

Tormato wrote: ↑Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:11 pm Do you have any room for diverse/perennial/multiplier shallots? Bower just sent to me what looks like a few thousand seeds. :shock:
Multiplier shallots? I'm game if my envelope isn't sealed yet! :D
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.πŸ…

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:34 am

DriftlessRoots wrote: ↑Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:15 am
Tormato wrote: ↑Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:11 pm Do you have any room for diverse/perennial/multiplier shallots? Bower just sent to me what looks like a few thousand seeds. :shock:
Multiplier shallots? I'm game if my envelope isn't sealed yet! :D
How many seeds would you like? It's time to edit your wish list, with a requested number of seeds, so that I don't forget.

Cranraspberry
Reactions:

Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:11 pm

I started onions for the first time as well! Also have Creme Brulee echalion seeds on the way - backordered at Harris, should get here in February. Pretty excited about those.

Instead of getting out the grow lights I purchased a GE A19 grow light bulb for about $10 and put that in a table lamp on the window sill. It’s plenty of light for a few pots.
Small community garden plot in zone 7 (DC area)

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Tormato wrote: ↑Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:11 pm
GoDawgs wrote: ↑Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:19 am @TheMad_Poet, I just noticed your location so I will defer to those in your area for all questions about onion timing! Down here we plant in the fall. That's why I have a really hard time storing onions as it gets hot here after harvest and I have no basement or cool area for that.
Do you have any room for diverse/perennial/multiplier shallots? Bower just sent to me what looks like a few thousand seeds. :shock:
This is not supposed to be "shallot country" down here but I'm always up for trying. ;) The local feed 'n weed had some shallot sets sitting in a basket so I bought two just to play with. But trying some from seed would be fun. That reminds me I need to go see how they're doing as I haven't checked on them in a while.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:44 pm

GoDawgs wrote: ↑Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:30 pm
Tormato wrote: ↑Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:11 pm
This is not supposed to be "shallot country" down here but I'm always up for trying. ;) The local feed 'n weed had some shallot sets sitting in a basket so I bought two just to play with. But trying some from seed would be fun. That reminds me I need to go see how they're doing as I haven't checked on them in a while.
Even if they don't bulb up, they should make greens for awhile.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:22 pm

I got mine soaking the other day and got the dishes going on the heat mat today. One of the packages says 8-12 weeks indoors then transplant 3-4 weeks before last frost. Eights weeks is the end of March so I guess I'm good.

The walla walla burpee seed was from walmart, $2 for 500mg which was by my count 157 seeds. To me that is a little ridiculous, but, onion seed is one thing I've never yet bought by the ounce. Seems to me sets were about 2 cents a piece not long ago.

@TheMad_Poet is it too late to start some follow up walla walla from seed bought at the store?

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:10 am

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Been really consumed with NFL playoffs last couple weeks. Another obsession, sigh. JRin PA: Started mine in late DEC. On a FB group there was a nice pic of someone's onion harvest, she said she started in Dec. Talkin larger bulbing onions. Sets are expensive, and there are advantages when growing from seed verses sets, or fall seeding. Converted my flourescent lights yesterday to LED!!! Guy at Lowes showed me some GE type B direct wire LED bulbs. Cut out the old ballast, and direct wire. Much brighter, and much more energy efficient. Not sure the walla wallas have enuff time to reach their largest size, but you can eat any onion at any stage. The sets my neighbor gave me were from Dixondale. Sold by the bunch, 50-75 for 15.50 plus shipping. Not too bad a price I guess, and a lot less work. Retired here, I don't mind the extra work. Some of those got pretty big, and she was late giving them to me, so I got in ground a lot later than should be, around Jn 1st.

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:31 am

Cranraspberry wrote: ↑Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:11 pm I started onions for the first time as well! Also have Creme Brulee echalion seeds on the way - backordered at Harris, should get here in February. Pretty excited about those.

Instead of getting out the grow lights I purchased a GE A19 grow light bulb for about $10 and put that in a table lamp on the window sill. It’s plenty of light for a few pots.
Looked at grow lights, and may get one of those single bulbs yet myself to experiment with. But, for seedlings, any brite light will work good enuff til plant out, IMHO. May change my mind on that if I experiment, tho.
Last edited by TheMad_Poet on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to β€œOnions”