My spider plant

Shule
Reactions:

My spider plant

Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:09 am

Here's my largest spider plant. It's in a 13-inch pot. My sister got it for me on 15 Nov 2021. It's grown a lot! :) It was originally in probably a 3-inch pot (but a tall plant for the pot size).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

worth1
Reactions:

Re: My spider plant

Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:44 pm

Also known as airplane plants.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:57 am

The first cutting I took from my spider plant is pretty big, now. The original plant is big enough that I'm encouraged a single spider plant could fill any sized pot given enough sun and time.

I decided to plant 16 spiderettes (4 per container, in 4 containers; I planted 8 of them today, and the other 8 maybe a few weeks ago). My oldest plant had a lot of spiderettes, so I figured I might as well do multiples per pot. The pots are maybe 4" in diameter, and are fairly deep; they're black.

I've decided that although these are easy to root in water, they seem even easier to root in soil. Just take the cutting and plant it. It actually works.

Of course, for any rootless plant, you'll probably want to keep it out of bright sun for better results. And, you'll want to gently water it every day or two for a while (so the new soil can get used to absorbing water and not dry out too much on top).

Pros for rooting in soil:
- Success rates seem high
- You don't have to wait for it to root; you plant it and you're done
- You don't have to worry about algae forming around the roots, due to sunlight exposure
- You don't have to worry about nutrient-depletion during rooting
- The plant can start growing faster
- It requires less equipment

Cons for rooting in soil:
- You don't actually see the roots grow
- It's probably less safe to put it in bright sun (although I don't particularly recommend rooting them in water in bright sun, either, since that can encourage algae and bleach the leaves)
- It takes a certain amount of faith to plant a cutting without roots (don't worry; it works)

All in all, whether you root in water or soil, they're one of the easier houseplants to root.

Lest I deceive you, I've rooted plenty of other things in soil and water in the past. So, I'm not new to this sort of thing (even if I haven't rooted spider plants in soil until recently), but don't be afraid to try it if you never have. The same principles work for many species of plants, but some species are easier than others (and more sensitive about light, damping off, etc.)

I only really recommend rooting in water if you don't have a pot and soil, yet.

I normally used seed-starting mix for rooting vegetable cuttings when I did that, but you don't need to do that for spider plants. The final potting soil seems great.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:13 am

Shule wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:57 am The first cutting I took from my spider plant is pretty big, now. . . .
That cutting is growing it's first flower stalk, now. It's too early to tell how many spiderettes are on it.

Return to “House Plants”