Hybrid Pepper Seeds

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Hybrid Pepper Seeds

Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:38 am

Is there the chance that the hybrid pepper seeds (Mama Mia Giallo, Sweet Sunset, Goliath Sweet, Giant Marconi, Carmen) I saved may not produce the same type/quality fruit to which I've been accustomed?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Re: Hybrid Pepper Seeds

Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:59 am

Yes. Assuming those are all F1 hybrids.

A hybrid (F1) has genetics from both parents in equal amounts.

When you save seeds from F1 hybrids, each seed will vary how much of their genetics comes from either parent. So you can get a wide range of results.

That doesn't mean you won't get something that you will enjoy. Just that it will differ in some way from the parent.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:24 pm

Yes, definitely - I have had a number of peppers through the years that was dropped by the only sources that had them, so I bagged some blossoms, and saved some seeds, and never got a similar pepper. And even after a few years, I was never able to stabilize them. So from then on, I would just try to find similar, OP varieties, to replace things.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:33 pm

I think it depends a lot on the variety of pepper. For a grocery store bell, I think it would be the hardest. Other peppers might only need a few generations of selections before you have some very similar to the f1. It might not have all the same disease resistance, but most people don't get every pepper disease so that might not matter.

Yak54
Reactions:

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:53 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:24 pm Yes, definitely - I have had a number of peppers through the years that was dropped by the only sources that had them, so I bagged some blossoms, and saved some seeds, and never got a similar pepper. And even after a few years, I was never able to stabilize them. So from then on, I would just try to find similar, OP varieties, to replace things.
Ya I've had the same experience with peppers that I liked being dropped. One of my favorites was Sophia that I used to get from either Stokes or Harris (can't remember which anymore) and they dropped it so I did like you and found similar OP varieties.

Dan
Dan

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:38 am

The super-sized ones will most likely not produce such large peppers.

Return to “Seed Saving Methods, Tips & Discussion”