2023 seed offer

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

2023 seed offer

Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:22 pm

Howdy! Here’s this year’s seed offer, most varieties from Carolyn, a bit late due to minor health considerations.
For most of the 292 varieties there are lots of seeds, and you’ll get them all, or most of them. Seeds are limited for only a few varieties, but I will try to share if multiple folks request the same seeds. I make no guarantees on the viability of the seeds, though most are fairly recently saved, and all are well stored. I also don’t vouch for the spellings, though I did try hard.
On the spreadsheet, the first column is the variety name, the next column is the year saved (add the 20..), and the next is just to help me find them. I have four folders they are kept in. Those three columns are protected, but the next (the wide one) you should be able, if you choose, to add any info you wish, if you know something about the variety. After that, I hope you will put your handle in for the varieties you are requesting, so I can tell whether I need to divide the seeds up. So if you see a variety you want, but someone already has their name on it, don’t despair. In most cases everyone should be able to get just what they want.
You can enter as often as you wish (i.e. request as many as you think you can plant), but please send a separate SASE for each five (5) varieties, to minimize postage issues when I send them out. Some packets are fat with seeds, which might create difficulties mailing.
This will be a quick offer, since it’s coming in so late. It will only be open until February 15. Then I need to be busy getting ready to start my own seeds!
The procedure for this offer:
1. Study the list(s) of available tomatoes and select what you’d like to try, putting your handle after the comment column.
2. Email me at **conantshawn @ gmail.com** (without the asterisks and spaces, of course), including your name, your group handle, and your list of desired varieties for each five varieties requested.
3. Mail me an SASE with your Tville/TJ moniker, and a list of your up-to-five varieties. (The emailed list is mainly for backup and redundancy purposes.) Shawn Conant, 1*5*8*4 State Route 1*0*2, Maid**stone, VT 0*5*9*0*5 (Again, leave out the asterisks.) I will contact you if I have any questions about your request.
4. I won’t start fulfilling orders until after February 15, but then I’ll try to fulfill orders quickly, and will try to post your screen name when they go out. Again, the offer closes on February 15.
Oh! The link to the list again:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=sharing

Let me know if the link doesn’t work. Happy perusing!

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Re: 2023 seed offer

Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:14 pm

I don't think it's possible to edit the list as it is.

Perhaps to prevent sheet 1 from being accidentally edited you could make a copy as sheet 2 and add the column for names to it?

jamiethemime
Reactions:

Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:32 pm

In order for people to edit the page, you'll have to either approve everyone's requests to access the document or change the link to one where anyone who has the link can edit. Click the "share" button in the top right, then when the menu pops up, set to "anyone with the link" and next to that select "editor"

Edit: looks like it's been fixed!

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:44 pm

Just a couple of notes about some of the varieties in this offer:
The DW (Dwarfs) on the list are mostly ones I worked on for the Dwarf Project. I sent the seeds in to Craig, mostly I think around F4-F6, but I kept growing and selecting what I had. So what I am offering here may or may not be the same as what is officially released under the same name. But they’re all pretty good! There are a couple of the dwarf ones here with weird names that I think are accidental crosses in my garden - experimental ones that I was growing out but they weren’t supposed to be dwarfs. And suddenly they were!
Colgar Papuo is a variety that I think should be more widely grown. It is ping pong ball sized, a pink salad tomato, though the skin color is more yellowish-orange. Frankly, not very appetizing looking. But the fruit is very tasty. And the shelf life is amazing! I pick all green ones just before frost in mid-October and store them in a single layer in greenhouse trays at room temperature, mostly dark, or at least shaded, not in the sun. About 15 percent don’t make it, opting to rot rather than keep. But I ate the rest off and on until I finally finished the last ones in a salsa on the first of February! And they were still very tasty!
If you have any questions about any of the other varieties on the list, feel free to ask. I might or might not know anything about it. I have grown out most of them, but with so many, my old memory ain’t what it used to be…

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:33 pm

Just a reminder that this year's offer (made in the first post here) closes on February 15, coming up real soon. I'll be mailing out seeds right after that, so those of you who've joined can look for your seeds very soon!
I do hope they grow well for you, that you save fresh seeds, that you share those seeds freely, and that you report back here with your results, satisfactions, and disappointments.
Shawn

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:03 pm

I would love to participate, but I have no experience sending a SASE with a US stamp from Canada. Not even sure I can buy US International stamps here. Need to look into that.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:31 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:03 pm I would love to participate, but I have no experience sending a SASE with a US stamp from Canada. Not even sure I can buy US International stamps here. Need to look into that.
@Toomanymatoes I'd be happy to send a SASE to @FarmerShawn for you so you can participate. If you want me to do that, PM me your address and the variety list you want me to include with the envelope. It looks like one "global forever" stamp covers up to 2 ounces (instead of just 1 ounce for domestic mail), so you should be able to request up to 10 varieties.

Harry Cabluck
Reactions:

Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:50 pm

Shawn, FYI, You are spot on with assessment of variety "Colgar Papuo." It is a long-keeper. Not as tasty as black heirlooms, but nice to try. Thanks, again, for those and other seeds supplied in previous years.
Refrain from calculating the total number of poultry...before the process of incubation has fully materialized.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:44 pm

Toomanymatoes,

If you ever see any other seed offers that you may not be able to participate in, please PM me about it, and I'll try to work it out for you.

Gary

P.S. Your packages with all of the pages of listings, makes it just a bit difficult to keep track of everything. I've decided it's easier for me to just send you most of what's on the tomato and pepper master lists, where there are still plenty of seeds to also share with others. That'll create a one day delay, with the next round of packages going out on Tuesday, not Monday.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 am

Seven Bends wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:31 pm
Toomanymatoes wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:03 pm I would love to participate, but I have no experience sending a SASE with a US stamp from Canada. Not even sure I can buy US International stamps here. Need to look into that.
@Toomanymatoes I'd be happy to send a SASE to @FarmerShawn for you so you can participate. If you want me to do that, PM me your address and the variety list you want me to include with the envelope. It looks like one "global forever" stamp covers up to 2 ounces (instead of just 1 ounce for domestic mail), so you should be able to request up to 10 varieties.
That is very kind of you! I would be happy to reimburse you.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:50 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:44 pm Toomanymatoes,

If you ever see any other seed offers that you may not be able to participate in, please PM me about it, and I'll try to work it out for you.

Gary

P.S. Your packages with all of the pages of listings, makes it just a bit difficult to keep track of everything. I've decided it's easier for me to just send you most of what's on the tomato and pepper master lists, where there are still plenty of seeds to also share with others. That'll create a one day delay, with the next round of packages going out on Tuesday, not Monday.
Thanks Gary! I appreciate it!

As for my package, I had no intention to create any extra work for you! I assume you are trying to exclude duplicates?? Not sure. I have no problems with duplicates. Please don't make extra work for yourself!

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:12 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:50 am
Tormato wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:44 pm Toomanymatoes,

Gary

Thanks Gary! I appreciate it!

As for my package, I had no intention to create any extra work for you! I assume you are trying to exclude duplicates?? Not sure. I have no problems with duplicates. Please don't make extra work for yourself!
The only things I try to exclude is what participant have sent in, what types of tomatoes/peppers/other veggies they don't want (if any), and my guess at what I sent out to many participants the previous year or two.

As for duplicates, sometimes I don't fully understand the meaning of the term used by others.

In past years, I often asked for the #1 variety that participants were looking for, and could not find. I don't remember asking for that this year. That was how the swap started, many years ago. Since most participants liked the mystery varieties much more than receiving their #1 wanted variety, the swap changed. With that #1 variety, I tried to send 2 or 3 duplicates of the variety from other sources, so that there would be a greater chance of getting the correct variety.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:35 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 am
Seven Bends wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:31 pm
That is very kind of you! I would be happy to reimburse you.
No reimbursement needed. Check your private messages and reply to me with your variety list and mailing info. Don't forget to email your request list to FarmerShawn before the offer closes.

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:35 am

Whew! Over a hundred packs of seeds packed, sealed in the envelopes, and ready to go out in tomorrow’s mail The only envelope I expect but haven’t yet received is from gryffin.
Despite some stumbling blocks such as folks changing their mind (which I mostly just had to remember, tough for my age…), one who never entered their handle next to their requested varieties on the spreadsheet, and a couple who neglected to include a note with the SASE, so I didn’t easily know what they wanted, or even who they were (no handle), I think (hope) I finally got it all straightened out.
Anyway, I hope I got them correct in the end, and folks get what they hoped for. They should be arriving next week sometime.
Thanks for helping me share these seeds!
Cheers!
FarmerShawn

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:27 am

FarmerShawn wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:35 am Whew! Over a hundred packs of seeds packed, sealed in the envelopes, and ready to go out in tomorrow’s mail The only envelope I expect but haven’t yet received is from gryffin.
Despite some stumbling blocks such as folks changing their mind (which I mostly just had to remember, tough for my age…), one who never entered their handle next to their requested varieties on the spreadsheet, and a couple who neglected to include a note with the SASE, so I didn’t easily know what they wanted, or even who they were (no handle), I think (hope) I finally got it all straightened out.
Anyway, I hope I got them correct in the end, and folks get what they hoped for. They should be arriving next week sometime.
Thanks for helping me share these seeds!
Cheers!
FarmerShawn
Thank you Shawn! And thank you again @Seven Bends for sending in a SASE on my behalf.

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:41 pm

@FarmerShawn Thank you Shawn, but in case it saves you a trip I'll remind you tomorrow is Presidents Day. You can probably drop them in a mailbox, but there's no mail service tomorrow and the post office is closed.

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:50 pm

Ohh, thanks, Lemonboy! I had forgotten, and hoped to go to the bank, too, but I bet it'll be closed, too! I won't have a car on Tuesday, so I guess it'll have to be Wednesday they get mailed. Sigh...

jamiethemime
Reactions:

Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:19 pm

Received my envelope! Thank you so much!!

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:26 pm

Got mine! Thank you so much!

Paulf
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:34 pm

Holy Smokes, Shawn; Four envelopes arrived today. I am not sure that many were in the request, but I am keeping them all. Thanks.

Return to “Seed Offers”