Wyatt beans

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Wyatt beans

Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:06 pm

I put 3 seeds in a pot first part of December. Didn't expect them to do much, but glad they did. Just have them under a shop light.
DSCN0517.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:)

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Re: Wyatt beans

Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:37 pm

Wow! I requested and received Wyatt in the MMMM this year. (Possibly from you? If so, thank you!) I'm looking forward to growing them this summer. I'll be sure to set a side a few plants for seed saving & sharing while eating the others.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:11 am

I got some Wyatt in the swap last year but had no place to do them where they wouldn't cross with other beans. I'll be doing them in several pots up here at the house this year to make enough seed for a whole row next year. It's so much fun watching something new grow! This year I''ll be growing Jumbo Snap and Blue Ribbon after bulking up seed quantities last year.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:47 am

GoDawgs wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:11 am I got some Wyatt in the swap last year but had no place to do them where they wouldn't cross with other beans. I'll be doing them in several pots up here at the house this year to make enough seed for a whole row next year. It's so much fun watching something new grow! This year I''ll be growing Jumbo Snap and Blue Ribbon after bulking up seed quantities last year.
Don't worry about crossing with common beans. My experience is about a 1 in 200 chance of a random cross. Limas should be isolated, as they cross much more frequently. I haven't researched the rate of crossing on any of the other types of beans,

Wyatt is the most requested bean this year. My supply is almost out, and I don't know if there are still requests on wish lists. So, hopefully a good supply will come in for the next swap. The other highly requested bean is Woods Mountain Crazy, so ditto on a good supply coming in.

And, Betty, that bean list is coming, I just don' know when.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:41 am

Not a rush on bean seeds. But I was going to add Brazilian Starfish pepper to my wishlist, so if available would you put a couple seeds in an envelope so I can start them early. Tomatos need to be started by early April.
I grew the Woods Mountain Crazy in 2016, description says they are tender when picked young. I must have waited too long because they were stringy and I didn't like them.
Last year I grew Fortex for the first time, the seeds were getting old and I wanted to renew them. I like them and they are on the list for this year along with LaVigneronne. Also going to grow Aunt Jeans to eat, I grew them for new seed last year but never ate any. Suppose to be good as a full bean.
Might start another pot of Wyatt, probably can put in 4 seeds. These were kind of spindly, but they were bushier in the garden.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:37 pm

BettyC-5 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:41 am Not a rush on bean seeds. But I was going to add Brazilian Starfish pepper to my wishlist, so if available would you put a couple seeds in an envelope so I can start them early. Tomatos need to be started by early April.
I grew the Woods Mountain Crazy in 2016, description says they are tender when picked young. I must have waited too long because they were stringy and I didn't like them.
Last year I grew Fortex for the first time, the seeds were getting old and I wanted to renew them. I like them and they are on the list for this year along with LaVigneronne. Also going to grow Aunt Jeans to eat, I grew them for new seed last year but never ate any. Suppose to be good as a full bean.
Might start another pot of Wyatt, probably can put in 4 seeds. These were kind of spindly, but they were bushier in the garden.
Well, you lucked out there. With one pack of Brazilian Starfish in the swap, it has passed through my fingers about 40 times. Since I didn't see it on a wish list, I kept holding it back. I'll mail It Monday morning.

I like Fortex, as it grows to about 13" without getting strings. My only problem is production. It seems to only grow as a pair of flowers on a truss, so often there is zero or one bean on a truss. I like varieties that have 5 to 7 flowers on a truss with almost all of the flowers setting pods.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:32 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:37 pm
BettyC-5 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:41 am Not a rush on bean seeds. But I was going to add Brazilian Starfish pepper to my wishlist, so if available would you put a couple seeds in an envelope so I can start them early. Tomatos need to be started by early April.
Well, you lucked out there. With one pack of Brazilian Starfish in the swap, it has passed through my fingers about 40 times. Since I didn't see it on a wish list, I kept holding it back. I'll mail It Monday morning.

I like Fortex, as it grows to about 13" without getting strings. My only problem is production. It seems to only grow as a pair of flowers on a truss, so often there is zero or one bean on a truss. I like varieties that have 5 to 7 flowers on a truss with almost all of the flowers setting pods.
I don't need a whole pack of the pepper seeds if you want to save some. I will only plant a couple.
My Fortex wasn't real productive, but I only had one or two seeds come up. And they seemed to handle the heat OK.

Return to “Bush Beans”