TA meeting

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
svalli
Reactions:

TA meeting

Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 am

Hello, my name is Sari and I am a tomatoholic.

I have been affected by this obsession for years now. Last year I promised myself that seeds for 218 tomato varieties is enough and I do not buy any more seeds and will grow and save seeds of varieties, which I have already. I was able to stay away from seed vendor sites until today I relapsed and started looking for dwarf and bush tomatoes online and on a whim ordered seeds for five varieties. Varieties which I could not resist this time were *Bleep* Yellow, Tschibis (Kiebitz), Loaghtan woolies, Fuzzy-wuzzy and Tigerette. I have no explanation why I did it, but it is difficult to stay strong while looking the pictures of beautiful sun ripened tomatoes on the computer screen, while it is still freezing and a lot of snow outdoors. There is still at least a month before I will start tomato seeds and it is extremely hard to resist on getting online to look for new varieties, but I will try to get through the next month without any additional relapses

Thank you for reading.

Sari
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: TA meeting

Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:30 am

Oh Sari! That itch is mighty hard to scratch enough let alone ignore! I think you have plenty of TA friends here. :D

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:38 am

@svalli; that mean The Gotch is an enabler?

BTW, keep an eye on yer mail...

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

AZGardener
Reactions:

Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:14 am

I can relate. In my case it's August when mine have died out from the extreme heat and I see all the pretty tomatoes others are harvesting. :-) You're in good company here.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

JayneR13
Reactions:

Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:21 am

I'm the same way, only it's seeds of all kinds. I barely manage to avoid buying seeds that won't grow in my area, but it's a difficult struggle! As my friend @GoDawgs says: it's an addiction! Only a few days ago I gave away a good sized box of seed varieties to a local seed library, and there were packets I hadn't opened since I bought them 3-5 years ago! I cannot seem to pass a store stand with seeds on sale. All of those lovely pictures, knowing that the plants will be equally lovely and I may find a treasure that does well in my garden! So many seeds, so little time :(

svalli
Reactions:

Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:48 am

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:38 am @svalli; that mean The Gotch is an enabler?

BTW, keep an eye on yer mail...

The Gotch
It is hard to recover when generous people take care that I stay addicted :D
Tonight I will start seeds of the sweet peppers, which you sent me. I just got sprouted hot peppers and purple bell vines off from the heat mat and there is now room for sweet peppers.

I am also guilty of spreading the addiction. Later this week I will be meeting at a shopping centre parking hall a lady who I friended online and I will give her some tomato seeds to grow. Last fall we met at the same spot and I delivered her a questionable looking brown paper bag containing garlic. I think that she is now hooked. ;)

Sari
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:53 pm

JayneR13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:21 am I'm the same way, only it's seeds of all kinds. I barely manage to avoid buying seeds that won't grow in my area, but it's a difficult struggle! As my friend @GoDawgs says: it's an addiction! Only a few days ago I gave away a good sized box of seed varieties to a local seed library, and there were packets I hadn't opened since I bought them 3-5 years ago! I cannot seem to pass a store stand with seeds on sale. All of those lovely pictures, knowing that the plants will be equally lovely and I may find a treasure that does well in my garden! So many seeds, so little time :(
When I have way too may seeds, I sometimes send the extras to seed libraries. Some only accept commercial packs. Do you know your local seed library's policy?

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:56 pm

Anyone ever look at a fairly small 4-sided rack of Burpee seeds, and say to yourself, I've tried every variety on that display?

rxkeith
Reactions:

Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:22 am

i am actually doing pretty good this year.
i have not ordered any tomato seeds and probably won't. just too many varieties i still
need to try that i already have to justify getting more seeds. i may be getting some in the
swap. asking for one or two of something, gary sees twelve, so you never know how thats
going to go. but, so far, showing restraint here.

keith

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:19 am

rxkeith wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:22 am i am actually doing pretty good this year.
i have not ordered any tomato seeds and probably won't. just too many varieties i still
need to try that i already have to justify getting more seeds. i may be getting some in the
swap. asking for one or two of something, gary sees twelve, so you never know how thats
going to go. but, so far, showing restraint here.

keith
You were doing good, until you posted to "So what are you planting this year?" over at the 'ville.

Now...I...know.

I don't know much about seeing twelve, it's more like seeing a hundred.

Danny
Reactions:

Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:59 pm

Hi Svalli, I am a seed-a-holic too. I have too much to grow out in my lifetime, yet I order MORE seeds, join a swap, or trade with others. It is an addiction I seem to not really want to break. I sometimes argue with myself, not that that does much good, LOL.

Self " No, don't go and look at that site you read about, you'll buy more seeds."

SAS* " No, I'm not going to buy any seeds **, I just wanna see what that tomato looks like."

Self " You'll look then you'll buy more seeds, stop typing in that url right now !"

SAS " I didn't type it in, I copy and pasted it. Geee whiz, why don't you trust me?"

Self " Because you lie, that is why !"

SAS "Do not" (page is up and SAS is scrolling through pages of seeds...)SAS " See, I am just reading and looking is all."

Self watches for a bit, but then goes to tidy up another area in the brain.

SAS starts putting things in the cart and quickly does the checkout.

Self "Look what you did ! You bought more seeds !"

SAS " But we didn't have these seeds and the pictures were soooo pretty."

Self " We are out of room for seeds, no more seeds !"

Self takes SAS out to the wood shed, but discovers it full of seeds....

*SAS Seed Addicted Self

** Right up there with "Your check is in the mail" lie

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:42 pm

I only recently discovered the TV show "Hoarders" and have been watching old episodes on YouTube. Now that I've seen what truly hoarded houses look like, I'm extremely glad that tomato seeds are very, very small.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:19 pm

uh oh

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:44 am

This condition has a global spread, another infected one here

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:18 am

rxkeith wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:19 pmuh oh
I'll take it easy on you. It'll be just a few options for various things you'll be growing. There'll be no potatoes or garlic, and unknown on herbs (as I'm running out of those).

bower
Reactions:

Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:15 am

Well I know I'm having a "more work less gardening" year in 2023. Even the unsown packets from the past three years have little chance of being duly planted. Firmly decided that I will have no budget for seeds. So I thought I would just buy a FEW things that I simply can't pass up... Spending, oh, at least the equivalent of a full work day browsing catalogues and making lists. Reviewing lists and noting things I can't possibly grow myself, but.... Telling myself firmly NO. But HONESTLY, I am worried about my seed suppliers. They need my $20. And what's $20? It's nothing. It doesn't have to be $50 apiece at three different retailers. A smaller order is surely a sign I'm in control of this. Those precious seeds and devoted suppliers might just vanish! They might go out of business in the recession, or they might just get old and retire. The fact they are bigger and more offerings than last year, could it be a sign of desperation? Will they be overextended and let down if they don't sell out? OBVIOUSLY this is not about me and my current, um, gaze into the precipice of relapse. This is about the overall future of the small businesses who make it all possible! Okay I admit I am PLANNING a relapse for next year... but, but...
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:12 am

Being in the MMMMMMMMMMMMM swap for the first time has definitely slowed my tomato seed acquisitiveness until I see what arrives. I only jitter a little bit and check the arrivals and departures thread no more than five times a day. For non-tomato seeds, however, I'm trending "more active" than in the past but for me that still doesn't amount to a whole heckuva lotta seeds.
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:31 am

DriftlessRoots wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:12 am Being in the MMMMMMMMMMMMM swap for the first time has definitely slowed my tomato seed acquisitiveness until I see what arrives. I only jitter a little bit and check the arrivals and departures thread no more than five times a day. For non-tomato seeds, however, I'm trending "more active" than in the past but for me that still doesn't amount to a whole heckuva lotta seeds.
Good timing. I'm nearly finished with your package. It's almost out of room.

But as you said, non-tomato seeds still doesn't amount to a heckuva lotta seeds.

My plan is to visit the post office with all Canadian packages on one day, as their employees do a smoother job when repeating the same process over and over. Filling the Canadian requests might be done today, if not tomorrow. So, I expect your package to go out in the next two days, along with theirs.

AND, that gives you at least one day to add some more non-tomato/pepper seeds to your request, if you like. There's that thread at the top of the MMMM forum.

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:27 am

Tormato wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:31 am AND, that gives you at least one day to add some more non-tomato/pepper seeds to your request, if you like. There's that thread at the top of the MMMM forum.
Thank you and yay! I'll look over the spoiler alert thread so as not to clutter the LAST revision up with a lot of stuff that isn't possible. :D

Edited to add: For some reason I can't find my wish list and I only had a couple other items, Evergreen Long White Bunching Onion and Papalo (herb). If you don't see this, no biggie, I'm sure I will have more than enough treasures as is. :D
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:06 pm

DriftlessRoots wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:27 am
Tormato wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:31 am AND, that gives you at least one day to add some more non-tomato/pepper seeds to your request, if you like. There's that thread at the top of the MMMM forum.
Thank you and yay! I'll look over the spoiler alert thread so as not to clutter the LAST revision up with a lot of stuff that isn't possible. :D

Edited to add: For some reason I can't find my wish list and I only had a couple other items, Evergreen Long White Bunching Onion and Papalo (herb). If you don't see this, no biggie, I'm sure I will have more than enough treasures as is. :D
This computer takes forever to scroll down through threads. So, when I've filled all requests on a wish list, it is deleted. That thread has gone from 5 page down to 2.

I think I already added the Evergreen LWBO (there are many packs), thinking you might want alliums, as you've requested the diverse shallots. I'll add the last pack of Papalo.

Return to “General Discussion”