Pole Beans 2023

karstopography
Reactions:

Pole Beans 2023

Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:04 pm

1F78102F-05D9-450D-9906-154ADC5380B7.jpeg
891A68B3-63A2-413E-BD02-650C757B9333.jpeg
Pole beans are up and growing. Trionfo Violetto, Algarve, Emerite, and Marvel of Venice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Re: Pole Beans 2023

Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:33 pm

I'm planning to do Marvel of Venice this year, as well. Also Aunt Jean's. We're putting a bunch of Borlottos out at the farm. And my mom has somewhat changeable plan for numerous varieties at her place. She's been happily reconfiguring her bean rows ever since the swap package got here.

It's going to be a couple months before I can put any out, so it's awesome to see yours started.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:18 pm

I might do a few more in a few days. Maybe Northeaster and French Gold.

Cranraspberry
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:43 pm

Have you grown Algarve before? I purchased some seeds this winter, very excited to give them a try!
Small community garden plot in zone 7 (DC area)

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:30 pm

Cranraspberry wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:43 pm Have you grown Algarve before? I purchased some seeds this winter, very excited to give them a try!
Yes, I can’t say I noticed much difference between those and Northeastern

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:06 pm

I used to grow pole beans but then switched to bush beans. The bushies produce more for me in a bed than the poles. The last two years I've been experimenting with pole beans again using samples that came in with MMMM seeds.

This year I'm doing Jimenez. The 7 seeds planted last year produced 19 seeds for this year. They just didn't produce much. We'll see about this year. Also doing Super Marconi from MMMM to see hgow they do.

The one pole bean that produces best for me is Cherokee Trail of Tears. That one I can eat as a snap bean, as a shellie or let them dry.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:07 pm

Acer Rubrum wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:33 pm I'm planning to do Marvel of Venice this year, as well. Also Aunt Jean's. We're putting a bunch of Borlottos out at the farm. And my mom has somewhat changeable plan for numerous varieties at her place. She's been happily reconfiguring her bean rows ever since the swap package got here.

It's going to be a couple months before I can put any out, so it's awesome to see yours started.
White seeded or black seeded Marvel of Venice?

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:37 pm

Tormato wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:07 pm
Acer Rubrum wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:33 pm I'm planning to do Marvel of Venice this year, as well. Also Aunt Jean's. We're putting a bunch of Borlottos out at the farm. And my mom has somewhat changeable plan for numerous varieties at her place. She's been happily reconfiguring her bean rows ever since the swap package got here.

White seeded.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:58 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:06 pm I used to grow pole beans but then switched to bush beans. The bushies produce more for me in a bed than the poles. The last two years I've been experimenting with pole beans again using samples that came in with MMMM seeds.

This year I'm doing Jimenez. The 7 seeds planted last year produced 19 seeds for this year. They just didn't produce much. We'll see about this year. Also doing Super Marconi from MMMM to see hgow they do.

The one pole bean that produces best for me is Cherokee Trail of Tears. That one I can eat as a snap bean, as a shellie or let them dry.
I grew only bush beans during the autumn. Those actually did amazing. I might still do some bush beans this spring, but my mom and dad who eat a lot of the filet type will be out of state for weeks during the prime harvest time. Mom always blanched quite a bit, but without her being around I don’t anticipate needing all the supply.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:27 am

I have a lot of seed beans Greek Giant. I wonder if these seeds can be sent to the US.
Vladimír

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:33 am

Acer Rubrum wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:37 pm

White seeded.
I like the white seeded better, IF the pods start to swell up a bit.

With the black seeded variety, if one starts to see a bit of the darkening (going from a very pale green to a light blue color) seeds show through the pod, the taste of those seeds in the pod, to me, is horrible, somewhat like chalk. I don't get that taste with the white seeded variety.

When both varieties are picked young, with no pod swelling, I like the black seeded variety a bit more, having a slightly richer flavor. I think it's been about 7 years since I last grew Meraviglia de Venezia (if I remember the Italian name correctly).

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:26 pm

Tormato wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:33 am

White seeded.

With the black seeded variety, if one starts to see a bit of the darkening (going from a very pale green to a light blue color) seeds show through the pod, the taste of those seeds in the pod, to me, is horrible, somewhat like chalk. I don't get that taste with the white seeded variety.

When both varieties are picked young, with no pod swelling, I like the black seeded variety a bit more, having a slightly richer flavor. I think it's been about 7 years since I last grew Meraviglia de Venezia (if I remember the Italian name correctly).
Thank you. I was wondering what the difference between the two was.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:24 pm

Acer Rubrum wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:26 pm
Tormato wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:33 am

White seeded.

Thank you. I was wondering what the difference between the two was.
There's not a huge difference in flavor, as basically all wax beans are fairly mild. I do like the flat podded ones over the round ones (which I compare to crunchy water).

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:14 pm

i had grown grown marvel of venice the white seeded version for several years.
always grow this bean my wife said, so i faithfully grew it.
then for some reason i stopped.
i tried some other beans, some worked, some didn't.
i still have seeds for it, but they have to be pretty old by now.
i should grow it again because i have not had success growing any other yellow pole bean.
connecticut wonder did very well. that one turns yellow as the seeds start to develop.

this year it will be uncle steve. always, always grow this one.
there will be a lot of uncle steve/grandma gina cross beans. i have about five
different varieties emerging from this one that are all good tasting

virginia white seeded version will get a bigger spot. this one is a long flat green bean that did very well
the small number of plants i grew last year were early, and provided me a lot of beans for seed.
then what?

sicitalian black swamp pole bean. i really like the flavor of this one. only problem is it is a later bean, and very
difficult for to save seeds from. i am lucky to get new seed every three or five years. i keep trying though.

grandma roberts purple pod or black seed might be in the mix.
mr tung might be back. i have skipped a couple years.

there are several other varieties i need to go through the seed box, and see which ones need to be grown out
before the seeds get too old.

keith

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:19 pm

The marvel of venice I planted were white seeded. Uprising seeds were I got the seed has a comment on their website about selecting only white seeded ones and growing only that type as they report that the white seeded ones taste better.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:47 pm

rxkeith wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:14 pm i had grown grown marvel of venice the white seeded version for several years.
always grow this bean my wife said, so i faithfully grew it.
then for some reason i stopped.
i tried some other beans, some worked, some didn't.
i still have seeds for it, but they have to be pretty old by now.
i should grow it again because i have not had success growing any other yellow pole bean.
connecticut wonder did very well. that one turns yellow as the seeds start to develop.

this year it will be uncle steve. always, always grow this one.
there will be a lot of uncle steve/grandma gina cross beans. i have about five
different varieties emerging from this one that are all good tasting

virginia white seeded version will get a bigger spot. this one is a long flat green bean that did very well
the small number of plants i grew last year were early, and provided me a lot of beans for seed.
then what?

sicitalian black swamp pole bean. i really like the flavor of this one. only problem is it is a later bean, and very
difficult for to save seeds from. i am lucky to get new seed every three or five years. i keep trying though.

grandma roberts purple pod or black seed might be in the mix.
mr tung might be back. i have skipped a couple years.

there are several other varieties i need to go through the seed box, and see which ones need to be grown out
before the seeds get too old.

keith
I'm currently working on your package, which means I am finally forced to inventory the beans. I "might" be able to mail it tomorrow.

I will be sending an extremely early bush wax bean, purchased from Sandhill. I also might include a few wax pole bean varieties, but I don't yet know the amounts that I have. There probably won't be a lot of tomato varieties, compared to the other goodies.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:00 pm

thats ok by me.

i still have maybe 20 yrs of varieties still to go through from what you sent me two and three or 4 yrs ago.
i'll be 82 by then, and thats if i don't get a single nuther variety in those 20 yrs. not looking good there.

keith

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:59 pm

rxkeith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:00 pm thats ok by me.

i still have maybe 20 yrs of varieties still to go through from what you sent me two and three or 4 yrs ago.
i'll be 82 by then, and thats if i don't get a single nuther variety in those 20 yrs. not looking good there.

keith
How old will you be in brassica variety years? ;)

A delay in sending your package, couldn't make it today. For the first time all winter, I didn't look at the short term future weather report. All that previous watching, and no snow. So, while waiting in line at WalMart, I heard people talking about maybe 10 inches of snow tonight into Tuesday night. I had no idea about the storm coming, and was glad I did my shopping today.

It now looks like Wednesday to send seeds. Poor Micros are just itching to jump out of their zip baggies and dive into the starter mix. I don't know if it is now too late for you to try them.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:42 am

0ED1A128-B548-4DF2-A72B-AE1AA9FC83D7.jpeg
E21FD723-8ACB-4519-BF65-00CA14BB1D68.jpeg
I think this will be it for pole beans in the spring of 2023. Everthing came up with no significant gaps and I only had to thin a little. I plant fast so that’s a miracle. I still might do a row or two of bush beans later in the season. I cut some good dried bamboo with nice branching so the beans with have plenty of things to latch on to. The Carpenter bees will likely begin to set up their nests in a week or two. Carpenter bees are my most reliable pollinator. They only like the dried out, dead bamboo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:03 am

karstopography wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:42 am 0ED1A128-B548-4DF2-A72B-AE1AA9FC83D7.jpegE21FD723-8ACB-4519-BF65-00CA14BB1D68.jpeg
I cut some good dried bamboo with nice branching so the beans with have plenty of things to latch on to.
I was wondering why your pole beans weren't sliding down those bamboo poles you use. It's because you leave some of the side branching on for the beans to grab onto. Well, duh. Great move! How long are those side branch stubs or do you not cut them at all? I have a good source who will let me cut what I want so it's been re-added to the "to do" list. Handy things, bamboo poles and you can't beat free.

Edited to ask: When do you usually sow your fall bush beans?
Last edited by GoDawgs on Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Beans”