Nova F1 and Glitter F1 orange grape tomatoes?

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Nova F1 and Glitter F1 orange grape tomatoes?

Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Has anyone grown either or both Nova F1 and Glitter F1 grape tomatoes?
Johnny's offers Nova F1 and I've heard from one local person that it was their best in-garden-snacking variety last year, in a garden that had all nematode-resistant varieties.
I've just read about Glitter F1 -- it's from the breeder of Juliet F1, Known-You. I've seen seeds offered at Osborne and TGS. It's supposed to be very sweet. I wonder how it compares to Juliet in bulletproofness.
And, just for fun, are there any OPs that are comparable? The only one that comes to mind is Blush, which is yellow rather than orange.

seanm
Reactions:

Re: Nova F1 and Glitter F1 orange grape tomatoes?

Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:06 pm

I'm also looking for a good orange grape, because my kiddo tends to devour any I buy from the store. (Perhaps I don't need to be so picky...)
I'd love to hear more about Nova or Glitter, but also, anybody know the deal with 'Santaorange' from Johnny's? They want $23.50 for a packet, must be the most expensive tomato they sell! Huh?
Also would love to find seed for "Sungrazer", the orange grape from the "Galaxy Suite" sold by High Mowing seeds (but they've been out since last year). I've planted the yellow/white counterpart "Moonbeam". Its little, but has a nice tropical flavor, and produced like crazy right till frost. I still have some handfuls ripening on my counter (Nov 21st in Boston!)

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Re: Nova F1 and Glitter F1 orange grape tomatoes?

Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:09 am

It looks like the "Galaxy Suite" varieties are open pollinated, so if you can find seeds from someone you'll be able to save your own. I didn't see hybrid vs. OP stated in any of the descriptions, but this article from Cornell (the breeder) has a photo of the Starlight variety, including a card that says it's open pollinated: https://cals.cornell.edu/news/skys-limi ... -varieties Seems likely that if one of them is OP, they all are.

You could try contacting Phillip Griffiths (the breeder) at Cornell; maybe he could point you to a seed source or provide seeds: https://cals.cornell.edu/phillip-david-griffiths

Return to “Hybrid Tomatoes”