Cover Crops In Containers

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Cover Crops In Containers

Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:04 pm

I have seen someone mentioned cow peas for cover crops during the summer and I see they are a bush plant. I think these would work in containers but what is the benefit in total, and is there another cover crop I could do that wouldn't require being out in the heat picking a crop from during the hottest part of summer? Can I bury these crops in my containers or will it cause issues? I don't have worms that I know of so nothing to really eat the cover crop. I have a friend with horses, what could I grow to pass on to her for the horses and does it have to be extremely fresh or should I dry it before I give it to her?
In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.
~Margaret Atwood~

Still my favorite quote! :lol: :P :D :)

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Re: Cover Crops In Containers

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:55 am

I wouldn’t cover crop in a container. I use cover cropping for nematode suppression and adding organic matter to my soil slowly over many years. There are super easy ways to do both of those things in your pot without cover crops.

As for the horse, ask your friend what her animals like/need, it does sound fun to grow horse treats.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

PNW_D
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:18 pm

I quite like Buckwheat

here's an article I thought gives good information .....

https://dirtsecrets.com/2015/06/buckwhe ... er-garden/
Zone 8b

Kingbird
Reactions:

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:09 pm

This cover crop is the best I have found, for containers or outdoors in the garden. It can be tilled straight in when the time comes.

https://buildasoil.com/products/clover- ... -40-clover

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:31 am

Thanks for those links to over crops. I think I like the buckwheat cover crop as well. So, I think I will try that this summer.
~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter
Reactions:

Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:33 am

Rockporter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:31 am Thanks for those links to over crops. I think I like the buckwheat cover crop as well. So, I think I will try that this summer.
I wanted to add that after reading about the buckwheat that using it for mulch will be a nice addition that will feed the soil and help keep the moisture so that is a win win.
~Margaret Atwood~

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:31 am

Rockporter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:31 am Thanks for those links to over crops. I think I like the buckwheat cover crop as well. So, I think I will try that this summer.
https://www.texasgardener.com/nurturing ... buckwheat/

A link with growing buckwheat in Texas.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:49 am

I read on a bee keeper’s forum (buckwheat is outstanding bee forage) from a keeper in Lavaca county (middle Texas Coast) that it’s too hot here on the coast for buckwheat from June-August, but he gets two crops in the spring and two or three crops of buckwheat in the autumn.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Rockporter
Reactions:

Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:43 am

karstopography wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:49 am I read on a bee keeper’s forum (buckwheat is outstanding bee forage) from a keeper in Lavaca county (middle Texas Coast) that it’s too hot here on the coast for buckwheat from June-August, but he gets two crops in the spring and two or three crops of buckwheat in the autumn.
Hmm, maybe I'll do most of my containers in autuum, I have zero plans to plant much in winter unless those trellises are all covered and I can close them up for the freezing cold winds we get in those storms. I am already thinking about making sure I have two of those open(to move containers in) for all the fruit trees to go into for winter. If I can keep the freezing winds off of them maybe I can keep them all alive. So I have 8 of those big containers I would need to move into them and if they are still leafed out on some then I think the 8 foot and the 4 foot trellis would work for them.
~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter
Reactions:

Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:26 am

I ordered buckwheat (common) seeds last week from Johnny's with some other seeds too. I expect to get those around the 30th.
~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter
Reactions:

Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:01 am

I received my Johnny's order with the buckwheat in it. A thought crossed my mind and wondered if anyone has ever interplanted buckwheat with their vegetables, and if so how did it work out? I am thinking if this cover crop is so good for the soil and giving back to it could I plant it with my veggies and just make sure to pull it when it flowers and use it for mulch?
~Margaret Atwood~

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”