Online Garden Planner

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Online Garden Planner

Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:17 pm

Has anyone seen this and used this? I think it is fantastic and I don't think I have seen a planner so thorough in helping one to successfully grow a small garden, or even a huge farmers market garden. I have seen many different planners but nothing so thorough as this one. Are you using this, and what do you think about it?

https://seedtime.us/jkmel4ukl4tonac09ia ... 6195831481
In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.
~Margaret Atwood~

Still my favorite quote! :lol: :P :D :)

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Re: Online Garden Planner

Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:02 pm

So far I have found that this planner (Free Version) doesn't have a category for Fennel, Tomatillo, or Yard Long Beans. If I want to add those items I have to upgrade to the next level. It also doesn't seem to be keeping the actual seeding dates for various things I have planted, it seems to be reverting to it's own (this is when) you should be planting these items. That would work great starting for Summer/Fall/Winter from here on out but that is not how things went for me.
~Margaret Atwood~

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:25 am

I’ve used google sheets (MS excel type look) to list and organize which tomatoes or peppers I might want to start and maybe which bed I might put them in.

Otherwise, I like to think about what I have in the garden vegetable wise at any moment and what garden space is available or when it might be available. Since I have a vegetable garden year around, there’s almost always something out in the garden growing or there’s a bed I recently seeded or something that’s about to be harvested.

At this stage, I think I still want to manage most of it all in my brain just for the mental exercise, but it’s nice to have some potential tools online to help out. I don’t think I’d like the program on its own to tamper with planting dates, though. Our local county (Brazoria) has a pretty good planting calendar online. I look at it and the one to the north (Harris, the two adjacent counties, Brazoria and Harris, do not necessarily agree on planting times) for guidance on when to seed or transplant.

Organizing a garden or series of beds with multiple plantings, seeding or transplanting dates, spacing requirements is a challenge for sure. Nice to know there are programs to potentially help.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

AKgardener
Reactions:

Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:58 pm

I agree I was excited for it but didn’t have the Brussels I was growing or tomatillos,, not gonna upgrade haha good ole note pad and pen will work

Rockporter
Reactions:

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:20 am

Okay, here is another online planner, it is Farmer's Almanac, and it is a subscription but it is gardening by the moon. I know someone who uses the farmers almanac over in Rockport to grow her garden and she does very well. Is there really something to that or is it someone with a green thumb and nohow after 60 years of gardening?

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening
~Margaret Atwood~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 am

Rockporter wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:20 am Okay, here is another online planner, it is Farmer's Almanac, and it is a subscription but it is gardening by the moon. I know someone who uses the farmers almanac over in Rockport to grow her garden and she does very well. Is there really something to that or is it someone with a green thumb and nohow after 60 years of gardening?

[/url]
I've been gardening for about 30 years and started gardening by the moon about five years ago just to see if there was any difference. It *seems* to make a positive difference although that's hard to quantify seeing how every gardening year is different anyway. But now I'm hesitant to stop just in case it really has made a difference!

I use Excel spreadsheets to manage the garden with each year on a separate tab. This is a section of this year's. Orange items will be done this fall. Green color indicates that task is done, blue indicates a task coming up. 1st Pick now has bed numbers in it but will revert to pick dates after things are planted.

This is a section of the garden map, an example of Excel being tortured into submission. LOL! It is to scale, each square 12". Colors represent plant families and help with rotation as do notes under each bed that indicate what has been grown in that bed the last several years.

Yep, definitely overkill but it keeps me on track. Especially handy is the Notes section at the bottom which record when certain pests show up, damage from storms, things that can be done better, ideas to try next year, etc.

Rockporter
Reactions:

Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:47 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 am
Rockporter wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:20 am Okay, here is another online planner, it is Farmer's Almanac, and it is a subscription but it is gardening by the moon. I know someone who uses the farmers almanac over in Rockport to grow her garden and she does very well. Is there really something to that or is it someone with a green thumb and nohow after 60 years of gardening?

[/url]
I've been gardening for about 30 years and started gardening by the moon about five years ago just to see if there was any difference. It *seems* to make a positive difference although that's hard to quantify seeing how every gardening year is different anyway. But now I'm hesitant to stop just in case it really has made a difference!

I use Excel spreadsheets to manage the garden with each year on a separate tab. This is a section of this year's. Orange items will be done this fall. Green color indicates that task is done, blue indicates a task coming up. 1st Pick now has bed numbers in it but will revert to pick dates after things are planted.

This is a section of the garden map, an example of Excel being tortured into submission. LOL! It is to scale, each square 12". Colors represent plant families and help with rotation as do notes under each bed that indicate what has been grown in that bed the last several years.

Yep, definitely overkill but it keeps me on track. Especially handy is the Notes section at the bottom which record when certain pests show up, damage from storms, things that can be done better, ideas to try next year, etc.
Wow, I really like this!
~Margaret Atwood~

Return to “Seed Starting”