Buying Some Seeds

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Buying Some Seeds

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:13 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I found some seeds to buy locally at the Dollar Tree - 4 packs for a dollar. Chives, Cilantro, Early Summer Crookneck Squash, and Swiss Chard - mixed colors.

Chives are not cheap at the grocery store, and I kind of think of them as an edible Chia pet. :lol:
Cilantro is just to grow them in 5 gallon bucket of pro mix for the first time - sounds like fun.
Summer Crookneck Squash - That is as Heirloom as it gets (From my way of thinking.)
Swiss Chard - mixed colors. Well personally, my grandchildren think of most green vegetables as tasting like grass. That isn't something new to that generation. People have though that well beyond my generation - before and after. I'm thinking the mixed colors will sell the product so-to-speak.
Texas Zone 8A

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Re: Buying Some Seeds

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:21 am

I found that as well as letting the kids 'help' in the garden when they were little and that getting them to help prepare the veggies for the table also gave them some interest in eating what they had helped with. Supervised knife wielding began with those veggies too and provided further incentive. Surprisingly, no lives or appendages were lost. :lol:
Last edited by Growing Coastal on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:43 am

Size & color: cute little tomatoes, red lettuce, purple bok choy, rainbow chard, etc., all help to sell the kids on at least trying the product. I have a grandniece who prefers her tomatoes as small as possible- 1/4" currants if they're available.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am

I don't remember being trusted with a knife but I do remember sampling everything raw that my mother was chopping to cook: turnip, carrot, even raw potato! We were never picky eaters. I think you're right that kids enjoy the prep, and I bet they enjoy the harvesting too! :) One of my friends has a seven year old son, he is definitely into the taste testing and pinching a bit of anything growing. My own son ate everything put in front of him... don't remember any effort to get him to eat. He also learned to cook as a youngster due to being frustrated with how slow I am. :roll: :lol:
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

roper2008
Reactions:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:23 am

I buy the variegated nasturtiums at Walmart, I think they might be .50 cents now. Love them. Chives are nice to have, a perennial here. There’s some right now in the garden I can use.

Return to “Seed Starting”