Sweeter Chard Breeding Project

bower
Reactions:

Re: Sweeter Chard Breeding Project

Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:31 pm

The first real taste test of full grown sweeter chard here will happen in the next few days, as my son is coming to visit. Great excuse to break out the new greens! (and besides, we're out of iceberg lettuce.)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

bower
Reactions:

Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 pm

A very late update on this project!
I didn't have any luck recruiting or corralling chard tasters, so it was up to me.
Many of the selected plants eventually developed bitterness in the greenhouse heat - the worst of those were de-selected/ culled. I put a couple out in a bed with some skirrett, in hopes that they would deter predator animals, and I think it may have worked. So there may be a use for bitter chard out there... Also in the heat of the greenhouse, it became harder to tell any difference in color. What appeared two shades of orange and two shades of yellow got more and more intense and couldn't be told apart. (I read the same comment from a chard breeder, that color phenos couldn't be certain in greenhouse conditions).
Besides the stress of summer heat, these chardy F1s stayed in smallish pots after moving out to the yard, and that was enough for all of the red shaded chards to bolt. Disappointing because one of those reds had incredibly sweet stems, even after the leaves were bitter inedible. I did save some seeds possibly to use for a fast baby green, but bolters aren't keepers in this project.
Anyhow, at the end of season I had a group of unbolted yellows and one unbolted white/pink blushed stem with a fabulous sized root. I picked the biggest roots/most vigorous and healthiest looking yellows to keep overwinter as well for next year's seed. Here they are in November: I did finally pot them up in late december in the greenhouse.
Chard-SB-F2-nonbolters-162.JPG
Chard-SB-F2-Rosebud-root-145.JPG
So: revisiting my confusion about the genetics - I should still get some red shade F2 if I keep them together, and " Rosebud " flowering overlaps with the yellows. Or I could keep them separated.
The Rosebud project would be stable for color in that case (RRyy), and I could just select for other traits: sweetness being number one and of course I like the large root too, for possibly a dual purpose crop.
The yellow plants are Yyrr or YYrr. So if kept separately, I might see a difference in how the yellow color develops over a season, depending on YY vs Yy. It definitely seemed that they were pale in the first leaves and only became dark yellow as the season went on.
Either way, it's enough to have one Y, a cross between RRyy and Yyrr should produce some pink or orange F1s among the F2s.

Ideally I think I'd like to do both, which might be easy enough since the flowering time is quite long (and maybe not exactly simultaneous, just overlapping). So I can keep Rosebud F2 seeds separate from mixed crosses with the yellow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
temperate marine climate

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:48 pm

I'll be attempting a grow out of your seed, this year.

Last year, I had very little room. So, I don't believe that I would have had enough plants to do a good comparison of different traits.

I also will likely need to cover the seeds with chicken wire or hardware cloth. For some reason, squirrels take a liking to beet and chard seed, in my garden.

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:59 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:13 pm
Julianna wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:25 am
Tormato wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:04 am A great project, Bower.

And, having Julianna's children, who will give the MOST honest opinion, is clearly the way to go.

My own project can't get off the ground. I have Verde de Taglio seeds collecting dust for a year, while I try to find MacGregor's Favorite to make a cross with.

If there is ever any spare F1, F2 , seed, etc... from your project, you know how to find me.

And, where am I going to sow the 1,000+ seeds of Diverse/Perennial/Multiplier shallots? I'd better do a test germination, first, to see what I've gotten into.
I made little frittata bites yesterday and Zain loved them and Adam the older one said it was gross. Then later on that day he asked me what would.it taste like if you mixed milk and diet pepsi. I said "gross" to which he replied "oh like your frittata?" So he can be the ultimate judge.
I think that I remember what milk and regular pepsi tastes like, from 50+ years ago.

There's gross (milk and Dr Pepper), not that good (milk and Pepsi, milk and Coke, milk and grape soda), and excellent (milk and root beer, milk and orange soda). You're raising a champ.

I don't know what a frittata is. :oops:
I don't know what frittata bites are (yet), but frittatas are what I used to think were omelets. They're basically like thick omelets where you broil some tomatoes, cheese, and stuff on them after getting the eggs started on the stove. The broiling finishes cooking the eggs. If either of you two want to try my Frittata Kitchen tomato, let me know; it's my favorite frittata tomato. (It's a sport of Bloody Butcher; the fruit tastes different, but the plant, growth habit, and such are the same.) Wonderberries are excellent (paired with tomatoes) in frittatas, too. Green onions and mushrooms are also great. The best frittata tomatoes seem to be the tart early red 4-6 oz ones. I know Tormato isn't into red tomatoes, though. Other colors can work (but you probably want to use ones with a tart flavor, or tart tones).

IMO, frittatas are a lot better with plenty of salt, added during the cooking (not after).
Last edited by Shule on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:50 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:11 pm

@bower That's awesome that you're letting moose help with your swiss chard.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:13 pm

Shule wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:59 pm
Tormato wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:13 pm
Julianna wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:25 am
Tormato wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:04 am A great project, Bower.

And, having Julianna's children, who will give the MOST honest opinion, is clearly the way to go.

My own project can't get off the ground. I have Verde de Taglio seeds collecting dust for a year, while I try to find MacGregor's Favorite to make a cross with.

If there is ever any spare F1, F2 , seed, etc... from your project, you know how to find me.

And, where am I going to sow the 1,000+ seeds of Diverse/Perennial/Multiplier shallots? I'd better do a test germination, first, to see what I've gotten into.
I made little frittata bites yesterday and Zain loved them and Adam the older one said it was gross. Then later on that day he asked me what would.it taste like if you mixed milk and diet pepsi. I said "gross" to which he replied "oh like your frittata?" So he can be the ultimate judge.
I think that I remember what milk and regular pepsi tastes like, from 50+ years ago.

There's gross (milk and Dr Pepper), not that good (milk and Pepsi, milk and Coke, milk and grape soda), and excellent (milk and root beer, milk and orange soda). You're raising a champ.

I don't know what a frittata is. :oops:
I don't know what frittata bites are (yet), but frittatas are what I used to think were omelets. They're basically like thick omelets where you broil some tomatoes, cheese, and stuff on them after getting the eggs started on the stove. The broiling finishes cooking the eggs. If either of you two want to try my Frittata Kitchen tomato, let me know; it's my favorite frittata tomato. (It's a sport of Bloody Butcher; the fruit tastes different, but the plant, growth habit, and such are the same.) Wonderberries are excellent (paired with tomatoes) in frittatas, too. Green onions and mushrooms are also great. The best frittata tomatoes seem to be the tart early red 4-6 oz ones. I know Tormato isn't into red tomatoes, though. Other colors can work (but you probably want to use ones with a tart flavor, or tart tones).

IMO, frittatas are a lot better with plenty of salt, added during the cooking (not after).
Hey...of all of the reds out there, I like about half a dozen of them. Neves Azorean Red, Bulgarian Triumph, Bacon Lettuce and This, (Good) Old Fashioned Red, are examples. And, I like basically all of the red hearts that I've trialed.

Carolyn used to talk about Indian varieties for cooking. Most are said to be sour/tart. The only one that comes to mind is Pusa Ruby. But, I haven't seen any seeds for several years.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:56 pm

@Shule if they can get past the seed stage, maybe @Tormato 's squirrels will be taste testers too... 8-)
temperate marine climate

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:45 pm

bower wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:56 pm @Shule if they can get past the seed stage, maybe @Tormato 's squirrels will be taste testers too... 8-)
We've got both grey and black squirrels, locally. Both like the seeds. The only seedlings they've ever liked were MacGregor's Favorite. I've been looking for that variety for about 5 years, but it looks like it has fallen off the planet.

All of the local squirrels are fat and happy, because so many people in the city feed them, trying to attract the black ones. I attract them all, without trying. :(

Julianna
Reactions:

Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:13 am

It has been raining like crazy on and off and i need to check the chard! It was doing well. I had a white stemmed one and a red that survived the culls.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Return to “Cole Crops/Salad Greens and Root Crops”