My first garden plot!!!

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Moth1992
Reactions:

My first garden plot!!!

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:11 pm

OMG!!!!

Somebody pulled out of the community garden because of gophers and im next in the list. Its a bit late to start more tomatoes so ill probably buy some starters.

This should be fun! Hopefully!

I have no idea what im doing. Ive only gardened in my balcony.

First thing ill do is go measure it and figure how to install gopher mesh.

And guess ill amend the dirt at the same time since its going to be quite a digging job...

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Re: My first garden plot!!!

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:24 pm

Moth1992 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:11 pm OMG!!!!

Somebody pulled out of the community garden because of gophers and im next in the list. Its a bit late to start more tomatoes so ill probably buy some starters.

And guess ill amend the dirt at the same time since its going to be quite a digging job...
Congrats on the new garden bed, I am sure you will learn alot, and hopefully there will be plenty of people there to help you along the way. If it is too late, and too hot to be digging everything up right now you could find a dollar tree and see if they have those mesh trash cans to plant into. Dig the hole, stick the can in and plant. I have read many do this to keep the gophers out of their plants. This could be a quick fix for now, or just dig it all up and put it all back in. I see you are in zone 9 so thinking how warm it might be getting for you.
Last edited by Rockporter on Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.
~Margaret Atwood~

Still my favorite quote! :lol: :P :D :)

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:28 pm

Congratulations on your new garden plot !! Enjoy it it always fun looking at what you can do

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:57 pm

We get gophers at the community garden whenever the university across the road plows its big fields. So a few years ago I started planting almost every tomato, pepper, and eggplant in gopher cages. I found a DIY site and had enough old hardware cloth (1/2" mesh) to make about 100 of them. Last year I ran out of cages in my last pepper bed and a gopher took out 3 pepper plants, so that was a good reminder to keep using them. Sometimes I use cages with every other plant, or skip one if I have duplicates.

In a couple years at my current garden plot, I've learned where the tunnels are, and have relocated compost bins to those spots. I also water deeply when I plant, and if the hole seems bottomless, I know it's going into a tunnel, so I either make sure to add cages to that spot or don't plant there.

My asparagus bed has a 4x4 cage, even though the local garden-shop expert said gophers don't go for asparagus.

I tried cages with my onions last year after losing most of my garlic and onions before they were fully bulbed up a couple years before that, and it was more trouble than it was worth. I stopped growing their favorite, Walla Walla, and so far this year the onions are ok.

A neighbor at the community garden grows sweet potatoes every year, which are a gopher attractant! Potatoes less so. Another neighbor has been losing artichoke plants to gophers!

Moth1992
Reactions:

Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:38 pm

I escaped from work at lunch to have a look. Sunny spot. Only one tree that might shade it in the morning, i need to check.

12 x 7 feet!!

Weirdly, there is already gopher wire. So im confused at what the issue was. None of the other gardeners were there, hoping to bump into them to gather intel.

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:18 pm

Congratulations! That’s a good size to start with “in the wild” after being a balcony-only gardener 🍅
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Moth1992
Reactions:

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 pm

Im overwhealmed by the size.

I think I will plant a row of 6 or 7 tomatoeson one side and then on the other side I will do onions, garlics, strawberries, leafy greens and maybe even an eggplant.

I have no idea how to stake full size tomatoes and protect them from critters. I saw some of the plots had arches so they could be covered. But a full size tomato is taller than what I have ever dealt with. I dont even know how you harvest a full size tomato in a community garden.

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:53 pm

Moth1992 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 pm Im overwhealmed by the size.

I think I will plant a row of 6 or 7 tomatoeson one side and then on the other side I will do onions, garlics, strawberries, leafy greens and maybe even an eggplant.

I have no idea how to stake full size tomatoes and protect them from critters. I saw some of the plots had arches so they could be covered. But a full size tomato is taller than what I have ever dealt with. I dont even know how you harvest a full size tomato in a community garden.
What is the actual measurement of that garden bed? 6 or 7 full size tomato plants could be too much for that space. You can grow determinate tomatoes that don't need as much support except maybe a cage around it with a stake to hold the stem. Tomatoes need airflow around them. Using arches are a great way to add shade cloth when it is needed, and it can be used with frost blankets, or even screen to help keep the bugs off of new plantings.
~Margaret Atwood~

Moth1992
Reactions:

Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:32 pm

Rockporter wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:53 pm
Moth1992 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 pm
What is the actual measurement of that garden bed? 6 or 7 full size tomato plants could be too much for that space. You can grow determinate tomatoes that don't need as much support except maybe a cage around it with a stake to hold the stem. Tomatoes need airflow around them. Using arches are a great way to add shade cloth when it is needed, and it can be used with frost blankets, or even screen to help keep the bugs off of new plantings.
Its 12 ft by 7 ft. I thought full size tomatoes needed 2ft between eachother? I might be way out of my head here Ill give them more space if thats what they need. I do want indeterminates. For dwarfs and cherries I have my balcony. First time in my life I have space I want to go big :mrgreen:

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:59 pm

Congratulations on the garden plot. You sure are going to be learning a lot! I am excited for you and your new beginning.

Yes you need to have at least 2 feet between plants for them to grow properly. Then you need to leave yourself room to be able to get around them so that you can prune and spray when you need to. Planting the 7 ft wide bed with plants all across will not leave you room to work your plants. You may find that it is better to plant a double row of tomatoes and leave the rest of the space for another crop and a walkway.
~ Patti ~

Rockporter
Reactions:

Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:24 am

Moth1992 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:32 pm
Rockporter wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:53 pm
Moth1992 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 pm
Its 12 ft by 7 ft. I thought full size tomatoes needed 2ft between eachother? I might be way out of my head here Ill give them more space if thats what they need. I do want indeterminates. For dwarfs and cherries I have my balcony. First time in my life I have space I want to go big :mrgreen:
I see you are in zone 9 and I am too but I am in the hot humid south so 2 feet between inderminates would be death to the tomato plants, it is no way enough room for airflow and a healthy plant. I guess 2 feet is good if you are keeping them trimmed and a good airflow around them.
~Margaret Atwood~

Moth1992
Reactions:

Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:32 am

Mmm its not hot but it is humid. Ill increase the distance.

Thanks!

bower
Reactions:

Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:21 pm

Looks like it would be fairly straightforward to attach a couple of posts to the frame at either end. Then you can florida weave, attach netting or fencing etc whichever option seems easily attained.
One thing about indeterminates, if they get taller than you can handle you can either top them or you can hook the tops down and weave along your trellis or support structure at the height you prefer. Lower and lean (I've never done it) is possible for some long seasons, I think you need a top rail and plan that ahead. Just saying, many possibilities especially with a nice bed framed out to start with, as long as they don't mind you attaching a couple of posts.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Moth1992
Reactions:

Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:36 pm

Bower wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:21 pm Looks like it would be fairly straightforward to attach a couple of posts to the frame at either end. Then you can florida weave, attach netting or fencing etc whichever option seems easily attained.
One thing about indeterminates, if they get taller than you can handle you can either top them or you can hook the tops down and weave along your trellis or support structure at the height you prefer. Lower and lean (I've never done it) is possible for some long seasons, I think you need a top rail and plan that ahead. Just saying, many possibilities especially with a nice bed framed out to start with, as long as they don't mind you attaching a couple of posts.
Thankyou!
I didnt understand the hook the tops down? You have an image?

bower
Reactions:

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:00 am

@Moth1992 I mean just pull them down; bend the top shoot over and tie it on, and train it horizontally instead of continuing vertical. Not sure if I have a good pic from my indeterminate growing days but this worked well with a support structure made of bamboo canes that topped out at about the height I could reach easily. Canes were connected with garden wire into a long double row, like a big open cage around my row of plants. It was pretty good for a low investment support, but the canes started to deteriorate after a few years.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

JayneR13
Reactions:

Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:28 am

@Moth1992 congratulations on your first garden plot! It's a wonderful toy to have and can produce quite a bit if planned properly. Keeping in mind that I'm in zone 5B and my plot is in-ground 10'x20', I do have raised beds in my yard and I grow tomatoes in them, among other things. If I may offer my thoughts on the matter:

The first thing you need to do is plan out on paper. Draw a grid with 1' markings and write down exactly what you plan to plant there and how much space you'll give it. Honestly, I'd call 2' between tomato plants enough. They do need good air flow and will grow as large as their space though. If your fellow zone 9 gardener says it isn't enough, consider giving the tomatoes more room. Air flow helps prevent disease and will increase production.

Staking tomatoes: I use a metal cow panel type trellis called a Vine Spine. It's probably horribly expensive these days, but I've used mine every year since purchase in or about 2012. Your tomatoes will need good support or the fruits will rot on the ground. Or worse, be eaten by critters. Those little cages aren't worth beans IMO but they're better than nothing. I usually grow indeterminants and they get all of 6' tall. They also need constant pruning or they'll shade out everything else. On the up shot, that includes shading out weeds.

Garlic: that's something that requires overwintering so I'm not sure you can grow that in your zone. Alliums need the subzero winter temperatures and are usually planted in fall for a midsummer harvest.

Regarding strawberries, asparagus, and anything else perennial: take a look at your Community Gardens rule book. In mine, we're not allowed to plant perennials or put up any kind of permanent structures. There are also rules with respect to what kind of pesticides etc we're allowed to use. Failure to follow the rules up here can lead to forfeiture of the plot. And how are you going to water? I get to haul buckets from a tote. What fun!

I've never grown egg plant but usually, anything that vines gets fairly large. You also might look into companion planting. I've learned the hard way that tomatoes don't like kohlrabi. The year I did that, I had to buy tomatoes for canning because mine simply didn't produce.

That gopher wire is there for a reason. I've never dealt with them, but I have dealt with rabbits. Fencing helps with rabbits. If the wire is there but the gopher problem is also, consider cages. While the .22LR solution would be fun and immensely satisfying, it won't save your plants once they're chewed. Your fellow gardeners might take exception to that as well.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:24 am

Moth1992 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:11 pm OMG!!!!

Before doing ANYTHING, check with management, as to what is allowed.

As for the garden plot, check the sun's orientation. You do not want to plant tall things just to the south of another's plot, shading out their section.

If it were me, I'd work on organizing a fundraiser to install a barrier around the entire community garden plots. Being in the know, local Home Depot stores, before Covid, did one day community service projects each year. All materials and labor are free donations.

Chicken wire "might" work and is fairly inexpensive.

1/2" galvanized hardware cloth is the best way to go, wire cutters and gloves needed, cut in long sections 1 foot wide. Dig a trench a foot deep around the perimeter and bury it upright. Weed blocking plastic, old wooden planks, etc...might work too.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:35 am

Plant indeterminate tomatoes on the northern most part of your plot. And, hopefully no one else's plot will get shaded from your tomato plants?

I don't prune, but the experts, here, will hopefully direct you to the best spacing (for possible single stem pruning?).

I'd buy a ticket to a front row seat, for what you're about to undertake. ;)

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:16 am

How exciting. You will have so much fun with this plot. I agree with others that 6 or 7 tomato plants might be crowded but live and learn.

I don't know what state you are in but I am in PA and thankful that I don't have gophers. I do have moles and voles but I think that gophers are a lot bigger. We also have ground hogs and they can eat garden produce but they do not tunnel so we can fence them out.

Moth1992
Reactions:

Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:28 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:35 am Plant indeterminate tomatoes on the northern most part of your plot. And, hopefully no one else's plot will get shaded from your tomato plants?

I don't prune, but the experts, here, will hopefully direct you to the best spacing (for possible single stem pruning?).

I'd buy a ticket to a front row seat, for what you're about to undertake. ;)

Edit:
You are right, im going to change the layout and put the toms in the north part. Not worth the risk of messing up my neighbours plot.

Im going today. I really hope to bump into another of the gardeners to chat with them. Im fliying blind here.

Return to “General Discussion”