Down Under Garlic Growing

Whwoz
Reactions:

Down Under Garlic Growing

Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:55 am

i will use this thread as a place to put photos of the garlic I grow so that they can be found more easily than in my Garden of Woz thread. Others who garden in the Southern Hemisphere are welcome to contribute as well.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Down Under Garlic Growing

Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:58 am

Starting with those that I have planted recently

First up
Spicey Korean Mountain
Spicey Korean Mountain.jpg
6 large cloves in the seed globe received, rivalling the Porcelains in size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:59 am

No some turbans
Gossimer.jpg
Gossimer 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:01 am

Georgian Stride 2.jpg
The largest of the seed globes recieved, hopefully I can match the size down the track.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:02 am

Mexican Early Purple.jpg
Mexican Early Purple 2.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:03 am

Shandong.jpg
Shandong 2.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:04 am

Spanish Early Violet.jpg
Spanish Early Violet 2.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:05 am

Xian.jpg
Xian 2.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:05 am

Monaro Purple is a widely grown and very reliable garlic that was selected out in the Monaro area of Southeast New South Wales, the high country south of Canberra and loosely centered around Cooma. I understand that it was selected from garlic brought over by Yugoslavian immigrants about 80 years ago.
Monaro Purple.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:12 am

Traf White Turban is an unnamed variety that I purchased some of at the first Meenyian Garlic Festive to remind me of it origins
Traf White Turban.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:15 am

The last of the turbans that I have planted so far is White Crookneck
White Crockneck.jpg

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:01 am

Whwoz wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:55 am i will use this thread as a place to put photos of the garlic I grow so that they can be found more easily than in my Garden of Woz thread. Others who garden in the Southern Hemisphere are welcome to contribute as well.
Thanks for doing this! I will keep an eye on those you post in case something looks promising and importantly., available on this side of the Pacific. :)

bower
Reactions:

Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:14 pm

I have never grown a turban @Whwoz so I'm really excited to see how they do for you and what you think of the taste. Your seed bulbs are all beautiful, but Monaro Purple is simply stunning for the gorgeous color.
Can't wait to see which one becomes a favorite. :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:49 am

@Whwoz "Others who garden in the Southern Hemisphere are welcome to contribute as well." (bolds/italics added)

This doesn't strike you's as exclusionary and Hemispherist...?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:02 pm

No more than the "Northern Hemisphere Garlic Ranchers" thread is @Cornelius_Gotchberg .

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:07 pm

Whwoz wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:02 pm No more than the "Northern Hemisphere Garlic Ranchers" thread is @Cornelius_Gotchberg
Touché....

FABULOUS lookin' bulbs!

I notice some "separation" at the bulb/clove top in some of the examples; that happen after you's remove the stem and/or as they age, and is it a natural condition, or one that's coaxed/sought after?

A small number of my bulbs/cloves end up that way, but through no intentional or special efforts.

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:03 am

Just as they naturally occur @Cornelius_Gotchberg . Photos were taken within a couple of minutes of removing the wrappers.

svalli
Reactions:

Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:35 am

If someone grows garlic at Equator do they need their own thread? ;)

And that brings to my mind that since garlic as many alliums are sensitive to the length of the day, we should split to separate threads for different latitude ranges. Whwoz lives almost as much south as Gotch is north, so length of the day is similar (just on opposite times of the year). Climate and temperature during winter is naturally different due to proximity to an ocean and that affects on the varieties, which can be grown.

I reside on same latitude north as tip of Antarctic Peninsula is south, but I doubt garlic could be grown there...

Spanish Early Violet looks a lot like Early Purple, which supposed to be Glazed Purple Stripe. Those Glazed Purple Stripes have cloves same way that they look almost separated and the clove tips can be seen through the skin. Separating those is much easier than with Porcelains, which have the cloves so close to the scape that some tool would be needed for prying the cloves.

Looks good @Whwoz! How many different varieties are you going to plant?
Last edited by svalli on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:54 am

Some interesting latitude comments there @svalli . While I may live a similar distance south to what @Cornelius_Gotchberg does north of it, I am glad I don't see that white mulch of his.

Not sure how many varieties that I will plant this year, in part it depends upon what happens tomorrow when we have a garlic tasting here for she of the "sauce of domestic disharmony". My wife offered her some garlic for use last year so she is coming for a tasting tomorrow and will go home with more than she expects, plus a batch of my sweet chilli sauce that her husband loves.

Have planted those turbans above is plus the porcelains Music, Susan Delafield and French Ruskie one Purple Marbled Stripe, Marbled Blush and an SPS X MPS in Perhonnen Khadesta. Last two are six weeks early but going by the roots on the clove I lifted that is going to be a good thing.

Will not be repeat planting most of the creoles unless for the lass coming tomorrow apart from one that Mrs likes, but have a number of lower heat ones to plant, plus another 3 porcelain types on order, then select out of the various purple stripes and probably only 8 or so of each of the rocomboles that I have. I have a feeling that this summer is going to be too hot for a rocombole seed attempt here.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:09 am

@Whwoz "Not sure how many varieties that I will plant this year,"

Planted ours six (6) months ago today (10/21/2023) which was also a Friday.

Please share that there Sweet Chili Sauce recipe so the lovely and long suffering Mrs. Gotch can do the same for her adoring husband...

@svalli "I reside on same latitude north as tip of Antarctic Peninsula is south"

HeyZeus Alou!!! Far as I'm concerned, you'll never have to prove yer bravery again!

The Gotch

Return to “Garlic”