Got some Carrots, Broc and First Cabbage

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Got some Carrots, Broc and First Cabbage

Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:24 pm

Two days ago I pulled the last of the carrots to make way for bean planting. All told they weighed 4.5 lbs. Pickles mixed up some ranch dressing for dipping. Most will probably be canned. Today I picked the last of the Green Magic first planting (the one on top), the first two Packman broccoli from that first planting. Also the first Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage.

Interesting the difference between the Green Magic and Packman. GM looks rather "fountainy", growing straight up and then fanning out whereas the Packman is dome shaped. I think the GM is also a heavier type than the Packman.

The brocs will most likely get blanched and frozen and we'll eat that cabbage since we've already put up kimchi.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: Got some Carrots, Broc and First Cabbage

Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:52 pm

Looking good.
Can you taste a difference between the two broccoli?

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:57 am

JRinPA wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:52 pm Looking good.
Can you taste a difference between the two broccoli?
That's a good question as I've never tried them side by side. I think I'll do that today since Pickles is making broccoli salad. Munch some raw from each and then maybe steam a little bit of each. Sometimes that brings out other flavors.

MarkAndre
Reactions:

Tue May 02, 2023 11:04 am

I’d like to know that, too, especially cooked. I think I grew Packman years ago, but I can’t remember for sure. The flavor was a revelation, whatever it was.
It is the weak who are the glory of the strong.

Upon being grilled over hot coals, Saint Lawrence is said to have declared, “Turn me over. I’m done on this side.”

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue May 02, 2023 11:17 am

I did do a pre- and post-cooking taste test. The two tasted pretty much the same when raw and I think the Green Magic was a bit bland when cooked. Well, maybe bland isn't the right word. I'll just say the Packman was a bit more tasty. More broccoli flavor.

I have noticed that the Packman is putting out a lot of nice side shoots but the Green Magic has few.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Tue May 02, 2023 9:35 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:17 am I did do a pre- and post-cooking taste test. The two tasted pretty much the same when raw and I think the Green Magic was a bit bland when cooked. Well, maybe bland isn't the right word. I'll just say the Packman was a bit more tasty. More broccoli flavor.

I have noticed that the Packman is putting out a lot of nice side shoots but the Green Magic has few.
Jung (and its affiliates), Reimer and some Etsy sellers seem to be the only sources of Packman seed now. My understanding is that Packman (a hybrid) was discontinued back around 2013, so I'm wondering how it could be available from any sellers at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue May 02, 2023 10:21 pm

Interesting...that is curious if 2013 is true.

My broccoli usually tastes more like cheddar cheese sauce than anything else.

I have been taste testing fresh asparagus and can't decide yet if there is a difference. I have three sources in the bed.

Return to “The Gallery”