Thinning zucchini

MarkAndre
Reactions:

Thinning zucchini

Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:36 pm

I have delayed thinning the zucchini plants in my small 32”x32” raised bed. The reason is because I planted in two clusters, on opposite corners of the bed, hoping to select the strongest in each group for a total of two plants. Problem is, the plants in one corner of the bed are much smaller than the plants in the other corner. I am afraid if I thin according to my original plan, the plants will be at difference stages of growth and unable to aid each other in the pollination department.

What say ye? Should I thin to unequally yoked plants at opposite corners or two strong plants no more than six inches from each other? Also, should I yank the thinnings from the light moist potting mix and transplant to another area or pot, or should I just follow convention and pinch them off at soil level?
It is the weak who are the glory of the strong.

Upon being grilled over hot coals, Saint Lawrence is said to have declared, “Turn me over. I’m done on this side.”

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Thinning zucchini

Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:42 pm

Personally, I'd go ahead and thin them to one in each corner. You'll have a staggered harvest which is not a bad thing when it comes to zucchini. And I'd just take my pocket knife or pruners and cut out the extras at soil level. There should be plenty of pollinators out there to take care of business at the right time. Are they different varieties that you were wanting to cross pollinate by hand for an experiment?

MarkAndre
Reactions:

Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:33 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:42 pm Personally, I'd go ahead and thin them to one in each corner. You'll have a staggered harvest which is not a bad thing when it comes to zucchini. And I'd just take my pocket knife or pruners and cut out the extras at soil level. There should be plenty of pollinators out there to take care of business at the right time. Are they different varieties that you were wanting to cross pollinate by hand for an experiment?
Thank you, I appreciate it. I won’t be doing anything until at least Saturday, but unless something changes I’ll be following your suggestions.

No crossing or experiments, it’s just that zucchini can be really hit or miss here. My brother and I have both struggled with unpollinated blossoms and low yields at times.
It is the weak who are the glory of the strong.

Upon being grilled over hot coals, Saint Lawrence is said to have declared, “Turn me over. I’m done on this side.”

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:32 am

MarkAndre wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:33 pm No crossing or experiments, it’s just that zucchini can be really hit or miss here. My brother and I have both struggled with unpollinated blossoms and low yields at times.
Time to get out a q-tip or similar and play Mr. Pollinator if both male and female flowers are present. Or pick one of the male blossoms and tickle the female blooms with it.

Return to “Squash”