Carmello

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Carmello

Tue May 23, 2023 8:52 am

Beautiful orange red, blemish free, and uniform in shape,
IMG_20230523_084750579.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Carmello

Tue May 23, 2023 9:01 am

I didn’t grow Carmello this year. It does well here.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Tue May 23, 2023 4:03 pm

I've been wondering what the differences are between Carmello F1 (the hybrid that's available in lots of places) the dehybridized Carmello (available from TomatoFest).

I helped choose tomatoes for the local master gardener tomato seedling sale this year and noticed that some years, the seeds came from TF, but that the plants were never really marked as hybrids or OP (although the whole sale was often advertised as "heirloom tomatoes" in past years!). You had to know the seed source to know which one you were getting. I didn't end up ordering from TF this year, so we sold the hybrid. I'm growing the hybrid in my garden this year, mostly because it's nematode-resistant.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:27 pm

How is the flavor?

Does anyone know if Crimson Carmello at Renee's Garden Seeds is the same hybrid?

I have a nagging suspicion she sometimes plays with tomato hybrid names to make them seem exclusive to her. I love her seeds for herbs, greens and brassicas, but her tomato seeds have not been hugely successful for me.
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

AKgardener
Reactions:

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:30 pm

Superbush from her was not the right tomato is was a cherry .. I just got a replacement pack so we will see

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:46 pm

JosephineRose wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:27 pm How is the flavor?

Does anyone know if Crimson Carmello at Renee's Garden Seeds is the same hybrid?

I have a nagging suspicion she sometimes plays with tomato hybrid names to make them seem exclusive to her. I love her seeds for herbs, greens and brassicas, but her tomato seeds have not been hugely successful for me.
I like the flavor of the hybrid. I haven’t grown the OP.

The flavor is bright, which some people might describe as tart, tangy or acidic. I would describe it as balanced,with sufficient acidity to enhance the sweetness. Not the sweetest and not the most tart, but not bland or generic either. A bland or generic tomato example would be Moneymaker or Dixie Red, you know you are eating a tomato, but that’s about all you can say about those two, there’s nothing about those two that makes me want to eat any more or ever grow again.

Carmello is unique enough and quality enough and tasty enough to have a shot at getting grown again, but not so wonderful for me that I feel like I have to grow it every year.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “Hybrid Tomatoes”