Tater Diggin' Day

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tater Diggin' Day

Wed May 31, 2023 5:25 pm

Last week Pickles dug up her Yukon Gold bed and got 16 lbs of those. For whatever reason I didn't get any pics. I think I was busy taking down the pea vines and trellises and forgot. Regardless, today it was Kennebec day and she got 21 lbs of those. We'll probably can a lot of those since there's no cellar here to store them in. Meanwhile, I see some NY salt potatoes in my near future using some of the smaller ones. Oh boy! Nothing like fresh potatoes.

svalli
Reactions:

Re: Tater Diggin' Day

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:29 am

Wow! That is nice harvest of potatoes.

I have not yet even planted mine, except the ones I grow in containers, which were planted around Easter. I was planning to go to do the planting in the field this coming weekend, but the weather will be so cold, that it may have to wait for another week. My seed potatoes have nice size sprouts, so those should start growing quickly as soon as planted.

Sari
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

PlainJane
Reactions:

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:37 am

I always loved potato harvest day in my New England garden. And there’s always 1 or 2 strays left behind no matter how diligently you dig around lol.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:39 am

PlainJane wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:37 am I always loved potato harvest day in my New England garden. And there’s always 1 or 2 strays left behind no matter how diligently you dig around lol.
I’m sure you can grow potatoes in Jacksonville, Florida, that is if you want to.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

PlainJane
Reactions:

Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:42 am

@karstopography I may try it next season!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:15 am

@PlainJane Kennebec, Red Pontiac, Red Lasoda, and Yukon Gold are what the feed store sells here for seed potatoes, not that you are necessarily limited to those four. I like to get my seed potatoes in as soon as possible which means getting the seeds at the Feed Store as soon as they get them sometime around mid January. I try to let the seed start to sprout a bit before planting. I think I got my Red Pontiac in the ground February 4th and the Kennebec in the ground about 10 days later, only because the feed store didn’t get the Kennebec in until later. Our Spring Potato Planting window according to our county agricultural extension agency is January 15-February 15. There’s another window for a fall crop, but I haven’t tried fall potatoes. I don’t imagine your timing there will be all that different.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Paulf
Reactions:

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:43 am

For the first time ever, we planted potatoes in a raised bed garden. There is a whole lot of plant so I hope there will be potatoes underneath. We planted just enough to have new potatoes when the green beans are ready. We never have done enough to save for later. Excellent harvest Go Dogs.

Danny
Reactions:

Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:39 pm

Nice nice harvest ! Hope we get a good harvest on the potatoes too, but they went in waaaayyy late for here. They all seem to be doing well enough and some are flowering. A wait and see thing.

Return to “Potatoes”