kitchen compost dish

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Re: kitchen compost dish

Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:54 pm

According to the US EPA:
"One-third of all food in the United States goes uneaten. EPA estimates that in 2019, about 96 percent of households' wasted food ended up in landfills, combustion facilities, or down the drain to the sewer system. The remainder was composted."
Here's the report those numbers are based on:
https://www.epa.gov/system/files/docume ... opt_ec.pdf

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:04 pm

@JRinPA Waisted. Love that
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:53 pm

My big thing is lack of counter space. I'd like to get something on the floor, that the dogs can't raid, won't stink, and doesn't need a bag. May be as simple as two buckets.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:42 pm

I am now using a Revere ware copper bottomed spaghetti pot. This was our spaghetti pot for years, with a coil range, but the bottom is maybe a little warped and doesn't work well on the glass top. It is a good size for compost, stainless inside, has a lid that can be used as the mobile scrap catcher and then upturned to flip into the pot easily.

Well we'll see if I burn for this...

ddsack
Reactions:

Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:06 pm

I tend to only use a compost bucket in the summer when I have more fresh garden bits left over from processing various veggies. I use a tall yellow plastic empty cat litter bucket with the lid pried off and re-attached so that you can shake the contents out easier. I don't try to compost in it, just accumulate enough to carry out to the woods where the deer eat any old rotten thing that I try to compost. To avoid any stink or fruit flies, I leave the bucket on my outside back steps, dumping into it a from a plate or colander.

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:21 am

I like reading the replies as i have been thinking about how I want to do this in Jordan. Bugs are a big concern and water... A pile would stagnate and dry out unless watered, I think, and I think I would need to collect scraps and dump daily at minimumin from a sealed container. I have been thinking about building the 3 pile system.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:41 pm

Jordan as in the Middle East?

Julianna
Reactions:

Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:16 am

JRinPA wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:41 pm Jordan as in the Middle East?
Yes.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:06 am

I think getting rid of the waste as quickly as possible is sensible in that heat.

It's part of the reason I use half submerged buckets in each of the raised beds, keeps the worms protected from extremes of heat, can dump stuff in them as required and all nutrients find their way into the soil. :D
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

bower
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:34 am

Here I'm used to having a huge abundance of plant material to dress the compost pile. Nothing gets smelly when you have armloads of oregano and tansy to cover it. And the amount of straw ensures it's well aerated, although not getting watered except by rain whenever we get that. Doesn't matter because it'll get left for a year.
Very interested to hear what ends up working for you @Julianna .
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Labradors
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:57 pm

I have this under-counter waste bin which we LOVE. The lid automatically covers it when we close the door, and it's so easy just to open the door when peeling something. I line it with newspaper, but it needs a good hose-out in the summer and a scrub in the winter time. I think we bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond, but they are closing here now.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/richel ... lsrc=aw.ds

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:36 pm

bower wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:34 am Here I'm used to having a huge abundance of plant material to dress the compost pile. Nothing gets smelly when you have armloads of oregano and tansy to cover it. And the amount of straw ensures it's well aerated, although not getting watered except by rain whenever we get that. Doesn't matter because it'll get left for a year.
Very interested to hear what ends up working for you @Julianna .
I think it would be the same as regular desert composting. But once we start, I update!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:02 pm

Labradors wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:57 pm I have this under-counter waste bin which we LOVE. The lid automatically covers it when we close the door, and it's so easy just to open the door when peeling something. I line it with newspaper, but it needs a good hose-out in the summer and a scrub in the winter time. I think we bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond, but they are closing here now.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/richel ... lsrc=aw.ds
Hopefully the one in Amman will still be in business. 8-)

I forget about the buried bucket with holes idea. Seems like my raised box beds are too hot for worms though. The peppers love that summer heat. I guess I have plenty of compost pile and just don't need it. I do have a buried worm bin, buried a few inches into the dirt, no holes, and that does indeed regulate the heat well. The cold too, it doesn't freeze solid, most years. I fill that with more or less finished compost and let the worms turn it to dense vermicompost.

Return to “Organic Gardening, Composting/Permaculture & Soil Maintenance”