Elbonian tomatoes

Everything About Tomatoes
BettyC-5
Reactions:

Elbonian tomatoes

Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:38 pm

I am growing 5 different Elbonian varieties. I put in 3 plants of four of them, but only 2 of the E. Mudslingers I grew last year, I liked them but they only produced two tomatoes each. Looking better this year.
This is the E. Mudslinger so far, both have a tomato at 2"
DSCN0604.JPG
E.Mudball F4, has some 1" fruits
DSCN0606.JPG
E. Hipdeep, this one has potato leaf, real small fruits
DSCN0608.JPG
E.Mudball F5, has 2" fruits, doing the best of the later 4 I put in the ground.
DSCN0610.JPG
North E. Pinko, 1" fruits,
DSCN0611.jpg
Tormato wanted me to keep track of size, height, etc. so will try to do it here.
Please feel free to add any Elbonian tomatoes you are growing. I don't have E. Puddle Duck so may need it next year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:)

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Elbonian tomatoes

Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:11 am

@BettyC-5 If you would like Elbonian Puddle Duck, just PM me and I will be happy to send them along.
~ Patti ~

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:31 am

Won't need them this year, but would like to try them next year. Sending you a PM

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:02 pm

Elbonian Mudball F5
DSCN2424.JPG
DSCN2426.JPG
Elbonian Hip Deep
DSCN2427.JPG
DSCN2428.JPG
North Elbonian Pinko
DSCN2429.JPG
DSCN2430.JPG
Elbonian Mudball F4
DSCN2432.JPG
DSCN2433.JPG
I didn't take pictures of E. Mudslinger, it's not setting fruits as well as I had hoped.
There are a few more tomatoes on the plants that are hiding behind all the leaves.
I'm pretty impressed with the amount of tomatoes on some of the plants, now if they
just taste good.
It is hot here so a lot of blossoms are dropping off of some plants. Some of my other plants have only
one or two fruits but they are usually big. Swoon being one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:36 am

Elbonians are starting to ripen
DSCN2459.JPG
The ones with F4 and F5 are E. Mudballs and the ones with P on them are North E. Pinko. They weighed from 10 oz. to just over one pound.
This is a N. E. Pinko that was a mega bloom. I've had several of these large lobed fruits on several different tomatoes.
DSCN2460.JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:33 am

Looking good @BettyC-5. Good to see those N.E.P looking great and to here that they reached the pound mark. Hope you enjoy them.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:06 am

Elbonian Mudslinger and North E. Pinko are both indeterminate. I like the Mudslinger but it didn't produce as much as the others. NEP didn't produce well either, just a few large fruits.
E. Hipdeep, PL, and Mudball, RL, are compact, around 3' for me, with nice healthy leaves that stayed disease free much longer. Very similar type of fruit on each. Quite juicy, I wouldn't put them in a sandwich. I mixed them with others and canned them. Over all the Mudballs produced the most fruit. I plan on growing a couple E. Mudballs F6 this year, but I am going to pinch off any mega blooms and hope more regular shaped tomatoes grow.
I wish I had kept more notes about taste, but they were all good, not bland. Not super sweet as I don't care for that flavor. I can only eat a few Sun Sugars. :)

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:31 am

BettyC-5 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:06 am Elbonian Mudslinger and North E. Pinko are both indeterminate. I like the Mudslinger but it didn't produce as much as the others. NEP didn't produce well either, just a few large fruits.
E. Hipdeep, PL, and Mudball, RL, are compact, around 3' for me, with nice healthy leaves that stayed disease free much longer. Very similar type of fruit on each. Quite juicy, I wouldn't put them in a sandwich. I mixed them with others and canned them. Over all the Mudballs produced the most fruit. I plan on growing a couple E. Mudballs F6 this year, but I am going to pinch off any mega blooms and hope more regular shaped tomatoes grow.
I wish I had kept more notes about taste, but they were all good, not bland. Not super sweet as I don't care for that flavor. I can only eat a few Sun Sugars. :)
All reports are that Elbonian Hip Deep is compact (hence the name). And, no reports of any off-type leaves (it's a PL) or fruit (medium large dark beefsteak, some boat-shaped) So, for now, I consider it fairly stable.

All other Elbonian "varieties" should not be considered stable at all, although Elbonian Mudball "might" be getting close. I would expect Elbonian Mudslinger, North Elbonian Pinko and Elbonian Puddle Duck (another pink) to produce some off-types. I'd welcome seeds of any off-types sent back to me. ;)

Betty, I would keep an eye out on your Elbonian Mudball growouts. You are the first to report a compact plant. My own few trials, 3 times in 16 years :( , has only produced indeterminate plants about 6 feet in height.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:55 pm

I'm going to plant a couple E. Mudball F6's and will pay more attention to height. I just remember them staying within the wire tomato cages. Impressed with the thick green leaves that stayed disease free for so long, maybe all season. I kind of lost interest in plants late in the season. Didn't get a killing frost until Oct.

Return to “Tomato Talk”