Orange Hats: micro but mighty

Ozarker
Reactions:

Orange Hats: micro but mighty

Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:33 pm

IMG_7123.jpeg
I’ve been a fan of Orange Hat micro tomatoes for several years, so I always start a few. This year they’re outdoing themselves. My wife counted 45 fruits on our “primary” Orange Hat that’s in a small pot and stands less than 8 inches tall. Our “secondary” Orange Hat was left over after all our family claimed the tomato starts they fancied, so it was delayed by spending a longer time than ideal in a smaller pot before getting planted into a spare corner of one of my straw bales. Nevertheless, Orange Hat Number Two has about 15 fruits on its 6.5 inch height. These little tomatoes are amazingly productive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Re: Orange Hats: micro but mighty

Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:53 pm

It would be a crime not to grow a micro haha there amazing little plants

Spike
Reactions:

Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:56 am

I have one that has been growing on top of my fridge for the past 2 years! Still producing fruit. Total spitters but I love the plant anyway!
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

KaguyaCloud
Reactions:

Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:31 pm

I find that Orange Hats are really difficult to determine when they're ripe when I first grew them out. They seem to continue to ripen even after their skins turn bright orange. I find that a good end point to determine ripeness is to wait until the flesh is very soft to the touch; soft enough that you can squish it with two fingers very easily. Those ones I find to be really ripe turn out to be decently sweet with a nice umami aftertaste to them. The skins are still pretty thick however. I'm sure there are better varieties out there.

A consistent fertilization schedule also improves flavor. I've been growing the same Orange Hats in the same container for about a year now and somehow they keep producing.

Labradors
Reactions:

Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:39 pm

KaguyaCloud, that was very helpful :). Believe it or not, I didn't like Sungold at first because I wasn't letting them ripen for long enough.....

It's so tempting to grow such a prolific micro, but I'm not sure I dare risk growing a total spitter.

KaguyaCloud
Reactions:

Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:19 pm

Labradors wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:39 pm It's so tempting to grow such a prolific micro, but I'm not sure I dare risk growing a total spitter.
Oh it can be an absolute spitter if you're not careful. I'd say about 90% of the time the tomatoes test pretty bland if I'm impatient. I'm not sure if I were to recommend this variety at all if I'm being truly honest.

That's why I'm trialing a couple more micros this year. I'll likely make another post once my Jochalos, Vilma, and Micro Tina ripen just to cross compare the flavor. Based on my conditions, it seems that other micro tomatoes can be just as prolific.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:55 pm

You can never have to many micros I have 12 varieties I just started a few days ago because 5 of mine are now flowering and have maters so it was time for another round but again different varieties

Return to “Micro Tomatoes”