Not sure what this is..

Rockdog
Reactions:

Not sure what this is..

Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:06 am

So for my first tomato grow my wife got a ready plant. Small and healthy. Transplanted it into a 5 gal fabric pot with foxfarm ocean forest soil. It grew like crazy! Guess it still is. But a few weeks back i noticed some yellowish fiberous material on the back of the leaves. Those leaves were curling and dying. So i assume thats not normal lol! But now several flowers have just fallen off and the whole plant seems to be having issues
IMG_0064.jpeg
IMG_0065.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Not sure what this is..

Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:24 am

It looks like you have some edema which is from being too wet. That is what those bumps on your leaves are from in the 1st pic. Then you have some nutrient deficiencies demonstrated by the leaves yellowing with the green margins. You need to fertilize your plants more frequently when you grow them in pots. Also it seems that you are over watering which is causing both of these issues. Too much water causes edema and too much water washes the nutrients out of your pots. Give your plants a dose of fertilizer and add a tablespoon of Epsom salt per gallon to the mix. You could even spray your plants with the Epsom salts but do it when the plants foliage will dry off quickly so that you don't encourage a fungal disease.
~ Patti ~

Rockdog
Reactions:

Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:27 am

Thanks for the info! I guess i need to watch the watering. Is there some “preferred” nutrient type for tomatoes? I’m learning that what one plant loves might kill another. Good information seems to come directly from conversations with people such as yourself! The internet is full of questionable and incomplete and even bad info. Goodto know that nothing can truly replace human interaction 😁

Rockdog
Reactions:

Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:27 pm

So adjusting watering and feeding. Too soon to tell. But this plant has some weird yellowish stuff growing on the back side of the leaves. Began sort of fiberous and affected leaves are dying. Any thoughts? Image[/img]
IMG_2688.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:38 pm

@Rockdog Tomatoes need a little nitrogen throughout their life but not a lot. They need phosphorus at plant out to promote root growth and blossoms. After fruit set, the plants slow down their vegetive growth and will require more potassium to grow their fruit.

I see that you are growing in grow bags which requires far more feeding than does an in ground plant. I would suggest feeding them once a week and feed them until the solution runs out of the bottoms. I myself would use Texas Tomato Food once the plants have started to set fruit, others like Tomato Tone. Take a look at growing in container forum and see what you can learn in there.
~ Patti ~

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:35 pm

It looks like a leaf mold to me:

https://u.osu.edu/vegetablediseasefacts ... leaf-mold/

Ocean forest is made for cannabis growers. That's part of why it is so expensive. Some people dilute it 50/50 with perlite. It may be a little too rich for tomatoes.

Rockdog
Reactions:

Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:00 am

Great info guys! Definitely looks like leave mold. But it is well ventilated. I suspected soil could be an issue but have no idea what it needs to be lol. Any product you can recommend to treat this?

Rockdog
Reactions:

Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:27 am

I cut off most of the affected leaves. And sprayed it with a hydrogen peroxide/water solution and it seems to be working! But the way to soil is drying I think watering more often but with much less water?

bower
Reactions:

Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:27 pm

The plant's need for water depends on its size - less for the small guys or your soil will stay wet too long. It's tricky, how much to water. Depends on temperature, humidity, water retention of your soil, and how much appetite for water that plant has depending as well on its own growth rate. etc.
Every tomato plant will get some kind of funk on their lower leaves at some point in the growth cycle. Ideally we only want to see that at the end of season but if it isn't the bitter end, just remove diseased leaves or parts of leaves when you find them, so it doesn't fester and make spores around your plants.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:03 pm

Just came back from a 4 days trip and before I went there are a few container plants that I put inside galvanized bucket and fill the bucket with water. What I noticed is they became so accustomed to the excess water, or maybe the excess water causes change in their physiology, that despite the container mix being still wet when I came back, the plant leaves are still drooping anyway. I am assuming they became too accustomed to excess water and developed hydroponic roots and lost some of their vigor for the dryer soil condition.

On the opposite spectrum, I had some big beefsteak plants in the raised bed and the tip of the branches were drooping even though I thought I gave them enough watering each day. One day I just stood there and water the plant for 3-4 minutes, so the water can penetrate real deep, now they aren't drooping anymore, even after gone for 4 days and no rain.

As for all my cucumber plants, at different part of the garden, all of them started to wilt and wiped out by bacterial wilt transmitted through the cucumber beetles.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:26 am

When possible, for any container plant I try to let it dry out until it feels light, then dunk the root ball underwater until it mostly stops bubbling. The runoff from your ocean forest will be nutritious for any other plants you have if you want to reuse it.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:29 am

Just revisiting and taking a closer look at your pictures, I think I see the bullseyes forming on your dead leaves, which means Alternaria. I also noticed that red and yellow fruited plants here have started with the yellowing similar to your pics. Hot and humid weather here favors the Alternaria alternata which affects upper canopy and stems in susceptible plants. I hope that's not what you have, because it is pretty nasty in susceptible plants, if it gets on the stems. The "Early Blight" version of Alternaria only bothers lower canopy leaves for the most part.
Many commercial varieties of tomato are resistant to Alternaria, according to what I read, but none are completely immune.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”