6.5 hp tiller on sale $199 at Home Depot

JRinPA
Reactions:

6.5 hp tiller on sale $199 at Home Depot

Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:51 pm

I feel icky posting this, but I will post it, because it may help someone out. $199. New rototiller. $180 with veteran discount applicable to this foreign made product.

This is 99% sure a chinese made tiller, but, that is quite a price for a new rototiller. Free ship to store or home. Comes with oil, needs 4 qts tranny fluid? I think that's what it said. I saw one review mentioning a tine breaking. And one review mentioning a puncture would to the hand from the shifter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legend-Forc ... /314372925

3900 left, there were 5400 yesterday this time when I almost posted but did not. I will say I have a 6.5hp predator engine (honda clone) in use on a chipper and I think they are great engines. I cannot say for sure if this is the same type.

I wipe my hands, still thinking of getting one myself, but I just hate buying foreign. Okay, not foreign, I hate buying red china products.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: 6.5 hp tiller on sale $199 at Home Depot

Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:35 pm

The one star reviews mention a lot of valve stem issue and tine driving. I always pay a lot more attention to the 1 star than the 5 star. Just buyer beware, I already regret posting! I really do like the feature for the handles rotating to the side, to not walk over the tilled area. I can't picture if that is possible on the mid 90s troybilt pony we have at the comm garden. I do know I paid close $20 shipped just for the tine depth adjustment spring /retention setup that got lost and needed replace.

Vanman
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:02 am

I thought it would be a front tine tiller, the kind that beats you to death. It is not. It is a rear tine. I would get one if I still used walk behind tillers. I use a tiller on my tractor when I till. With landscape fabric over the whole garden the only time I till is when the fabric is replaced or if we expand the garden. I do till a for a few friends once a year in the spring.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:57 am

Most all these tillers are made by one company called something I can't remember.. they're rebranded for whoever wants to order thousands of them.
Maybe some small differences here and there.
Tube stems shearing off is a sure sign of under inflated tires.
Some people are just idiots.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:56 am

I don't really need a tiller...now. I can borrow one currently, but I generally don't use it for my rows. Potato rows I think I did this year. But I do have a shed, and I might be in a spot where I would need one a lot more next year, or could do it as a service.

The thing is these reviews are the typical modern import junk reviews. Some are fake, some 5 stars based on the shipping box and delivery time. Homedepot.com has that 3.8 rating from (439) reviews spread between TWO DIFFERENT MODELS, both black, rear tine tillers. The -RT and the -RTG. So making heads or tails from the reviews is an absolute mess.

The RTG is the clearance one.
The RT has 3 tine fingers, looks like a traditional belt driven tiller with 8" (6.5"?)depth.
The RTG has 4 tine fingers and a gearbox that calls for gearbox oil and 7" depth. 2fwd 1 rev and the tines are independent and can counterrotate for breaking heavy ground? And the handles can rotate to the side.
In my mind they are going to clearance the one that is getting the bad reviews and complaints, but what do I know?

Paulf
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:19 pm

Most of the time you get what you pay for. In this case my bet would be you get even less. If you look at the tiller it looks just like several other brands we have never heard of. It is just what Worth said. Whichever engine or other parts are available are used to cobble together a tiller, a snowblower or whatever else companies want to sell cheap.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:40 pm

Paulf wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:19 pm Most of the time you get what you pay for. In this case my bet would be you get even less. If you look at the tiller it looks just like several other brands we have never heard of. It is just what Worth said. Whichever engine or other parts are available are used to cobble together a tiller, a snowblower or whatever else companies want to sell cheap.
These people in China make cheap a$$ fishing reels too
Just add your name brand and color and you're good to go.
All over Amazon and eBay.
Oh and cheap get ya killed multi meters too.
Saw a guy bragging on his only to discover it wasn't reading 120 Volts AC but my fluke did.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:42 pm

Hah, that one sold out today. Now the belt drive version is on sale, $179.

Paulf
Reactions:

Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:51 am

Reading the reviews on the belt drive, almost every one said the belts burned up and slipped very quickly...engineering defect it looks like.

Just as an informational line, the Sears front tine rototiller I bought in 1973 is still going strong after fifty years with one carburetor rebuilt fifteen years ago and one tine replacement twelve years ago and the pull cord fixed ten years ago. It does need for the hand grips to be replaced soon. I want a rear tine but I can't kill the old 5 HP tiller. This model was not made in China.

Return to “Sales/Bargains/Coupons/Promo Codes”