Quick Links changes

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Quick Links changes

Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:31 am

FYI!!! I changed the "New Posts" to the actual "New Posts" and the "Unread Posts" also. I don't remember why we made those changes when the board was set-up but it's correct now.

ENJOY!!
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Re: Quick Links changes

Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:46 am

I somehow fear this is going to make me horribly confused.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:53 am

Setec Astronomy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:46 am I somehow fear this is going to make me horribly confused.
Let's hope not, you'll get used to it after a while.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:51 pm

Does this mean that the "unread posts" link gives you a list of the threads containing at least one post you haven't read yet, and the "new posts" link gives you a list of the threads with at least one post that has been posted within a certain period of time, regardless or whether or not you've read it? What's the period of time, or what determines what is a "new post"?

Hornad
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:59 pm

While we are on the topic of new and unread posts, I find green fruit for unread posts and red for no unread a little confusing and I haven’t figured out yet why some threads have peppers pictured and others have tomatoes

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:20 pm

Hornad wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:59 pm While we are on the topic of new and unread posts, I find green fruit for unread posts and red for no unread a little confusing and I haven’t figured out yet why some threads have peppers pictured and others have tomatoes
The pepper is a hot topic.
A red star on tomato or pepper regardless of color means you've posted on it.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:24 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:51 pm Does this mean that the "unread posts" link gives you a list of the threads containing at least one post you haven't read yet, and the "new posts" link gives you a list of the threads with at least one post that has been posted within a certain period of time, regardless or whether or not you've read it? What's the period of time, or what determines what is a "new post"?

"Unread posts" are simply those that you have not read.
"New Posts" are those that were made since your previous login.

BUT: Basically an unread post is a post made after your last visit to a topic. There are exceptions to that. One is if a post has been edited - although arguably you have "Read" the post but not the edit.

I don't think there's a way to distinguish between one long browser session and many short ones and new posts would remain the same for as long as someone has logged in with the "stay logged in" function checked. BUT, you can always refresh or click new posts/unread posts and it should refresh and display what was posted since you logged on.

Are you confused yet? :lol: :lol:

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:36 pm

worth1 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:20 pm
Hornad wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:59 pm While we are on the topic of new and unread posts, I find green fruit for unread posts and red for no unread a little confusing and I haven’t figured out yet why some threads have peppers pictured and others have tomatoes
The pepper is a hot topic.
A red star on tomato or pepper regardless of color means you've posted on it.
Worth is right but here's all of the different icons and what they mean. viewtopic.php?t=504
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:59 pm

Definitely makes more sense now for me for new posts/unread.
I do stay logged in so my New Posts is usually just a few topics so I will be hitting the Quick Links > Unread Posts quite often, which is fine.

But mentioning hot topics, now I instantly thought/heard hot pockets. Like said in the old commercials, "Hot Pockets!". And I may have had them 3 times ever in my life, but now I'm hungry for them. "Hot Topics!" So maybe a little hot pocket would be a more appropriate icon than a hot pepper? Yeah maybe that is a stretch.

I'm gonna have to make stromboli soon to alleviate this unfounded hot pockets craving. Unless they make a Hot Pockets "stromboli" that has cappicola hard salami dry salami pepperoni provolone mozzarella parmesan ricotta oregano sweet peppers and a cup of pizza sauce on the side to dip into. I didn't think so.
Hot Topkets!

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:41 pm

All this time I've been thinking the "topic_unread_hot" icon was a slice of watermelon.

Hornad
Reactions:

Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:16 pm

Hey what happened to all the new posts? The new post link is empty!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:05 pm

Finding that the new post link doesn't refresh like it used too. I used to press new posts to clear those that I had read, great when I have 15 or more unread and I loose track of which ones I have read. Doesn't work now

Hornad
Reactions:

Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:00 pm

Whwoz wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:05 pm Finding that the new post link doesn't refresh like it used too. I used to press new posts to clear those that I had read, great when I have 15 or more unread and I loose track of which ones I have read. Doesn't work now
It turns out that there is now an "Unread posts" link that does what I want, so I'll be ignoreing the new posts link

bower
Reactions:

Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:38 am

Whwoz wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:05 pm Finding that the new post link doesn't refresh like it used too. I used to press new posts to clear those that I had read, great when I have 15 or more unread and I loose track of which ones I have read. Doesn't work now
Yup I've been confused about this for days until I read this thread.
The Unread Posts link at the top is the one to go to.
I always used the links at the bottom of the page, to go either Home or New Posts. But New Posts isn't so useful any more. Perhaps if we had a link to Unread Posts at the bottom as well, it would be helpful for those of us who got used to it the way it was. 8-) :lol:
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:09 pm

It just takes a little getting used to a new way of navigating. I liked the old New Posts but now I like the new New Posts.

Unread Posts is just like the old New Posts if that's the way you prefer to navigate. But now it is quicker for me with the new New Posts. Now I just see a much shorter list of just the new posts since my last visit. And Unread Posts is still available if I want to see all unread posts. I would think another link to Unread Posts would be doable.

Read posts don't disappear with the new New Posts but the icon to go to first unread post isn't active once the post has been read which is a way to tell if you have already read the post.

Return to “Suggestions, Support & Tutorials”