Hoy tomato

Shule
Reactions:

Hoy tomato

Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:19 am

I've been reading about the Hoy tomato:

https://renaissancefarms.org/product/hoy-tomato/

It sounds pretty good. Has anyone grown it?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Hoy tomato

Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:00 am

I did in 2022. I really liked Hoy and intended to grow it this year, but the one Hoy seedling I had met with an unfortunate wind related hardening off accident. I have Hoy on my 2024 grow list.

I’ve seen the Renaissance farm’s description of Hoy and would say it is accurate. I didn’t tally up the harvest in 2022, but I remember Hoy being relatively productive and every tomato was large and well formed, with more or less uniform deep top to bottom blocky globes. There wasn’t a lot of blossom scar, zippering or random convoluted ugliness or drama for such a big tomato, most of the blossom scars were pretty simple, relatively small and straightforward. I don’t like tomato varieties that come with or produce tomatoes with complicated, deep, or large and messy blossom scars or a lot of misshapen monstrosities for tomatoes and Hoy wasn’t one of those types. Not a tomato that was especially prone to splitting or cracking either. I think some rather minor radial cracking came with the second half of the season fruit, but I don’t remember any concentric type of cracking going on.

Hoy was my favorite tomato to cut up into large, meaty cubes and toss with thick chunks of cucumbers. Hoy is a firm tomato, but not so much as it is a fault. Hoy handled our typical summer heat better than almost every other tomato I grew in 2022 and was producing up into August. 2022 was a cooler summer here than 2023. Up until Domingo this year. Hoy was the biggest tomato I had grown and 22-24 ounces was sort of the “normal” size for Hoy. Foliage for Hoy was relatively healthy also. 90-95 days to maturity type here. Tomatoes in my garden tend to run a bit longer than published days to maturity. Hoy is comparable to Domingo on days to maturity. Plan for 2024 is to grow Domingo and Hoy side by side. Hoy is a deeper, more blocky tomato, but not heart shaped. Domingo is wider and not quite as deep. Going off memory, Hoy has more dense and firm flesh than Domingo.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear”