Well, no wonder I have been so confused.

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Well, no wonder I have been so confused.

Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:33 am

I have had what seemed like EPIC labeling failure this year, and I really didn't understand some of the problems. I was
supposed to be growing out Caspian Pink for MMMM, but I got paste tomatoes instead of beefsteak/slicers. I kept looking at the others trying to find which one I had gotten swapped, and finally contacted the seed seller. They told me they had had another complaint about those seeds, so they sent a refund. Sorry, Tormato. I'll have to try again next year. :|
SO GLAD to be back! I was locked out for about three months, for some strange reason. :shock:

Missed you all terribly! :cry:

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Well, no wonder I have been so confused.

Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:18 am

This happens frequently, even from respected vendors. It is frustrating to say the least but at least you got a refund.
~ Patti ~

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:38 pm

Stitchingmom wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:33 am I have had what seemed like EPIC labeling failure this year, and I really didn't understand some of the problems. I was
supposed to be growing out Caspian Pink for MMMM, but I got paste tomatoes instead of beefsteak/slicers. I kept looking at the others trying to find which one I had gotten swapped, and finally contacted the seed seller. They told me they had had another complaint about those seeds, so they sent a refund. Sorry, Tormato. I'll have to try again next year. :|
I am always a little concerned buying seed. This year, it was replacing my Fortex and Carminat seed that seemed to have gotten crossed or lost over the years. It had been good solid OP seed from Johnnies. I replaced with some amazon stuff. Neither seed was a uniform collection like the originals. Grown out, the fortex looks correct, for the most part, but the Carminat I'm not sure about. It looked good until I noted that on some vines the beans look like greasy bean and others don't.

I always feel better growing from my own saved seed.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:16 pm

The Hawaiian Pineapple and Rocky I purchased did not perform...um...as advertised; the former's an undersized Paste/Saucer determinate instead of an Heirloom Beefsteak/Slicer, the latter is a Beefsteak/Slicer instead of a Paste/Saucer.

Pictures and my experience will be forwarded to the supplier, with whom I've never had a complaint.

The biggest disappointment were my Inzhir Rozovyi, (last season's Newcomer_Of_The_Year!); they came from saving seed from what I thought were Heirloom fruits.

Still looking for someone to blame for that...anyone...Bueller...

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:30 pm

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:16 pm The Hawaiian Pineapple and Rocky I purchased did not perform...um...as advertised; the former's an undersized Paste/Saucer determinate instead of an Heirloom Beefsteak/Slicer, the latter is a Beefsteak/Slicer instead of a Paste/Saucer.

Pictures and my experience will be forwarded to the supplier, with whom I've never had a complaint.

The biggest disappointment were my Inzhir Rozovyi, (last season's Newcomer_Of_The_Year!); they came from saving seed from what I thought were Heirloom fruits.

Still looking for someone to blame for that...anyone...Bueller...

The Gotch
If I didn't know better one might think that you had the two markers mixed up. I am growing Rocky this year and it is a very nice paste and nothing undersized about it. If you want seeds for it just let me know.
~ Patti ~

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:51 am

MissS wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:30 pmIf I didn't know better one might think that you had the two markers mixed up. I am growing Rocky this year and it is a very nice paste and nothing undersized about it. If you want seeds for it just let me know.
Plausible, but not likely; to wit:
thumbnail_IMG_1892.jpg
They were in alphabetical order, to boot:

The Gotch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:07 pm

Last year I saved seed from the "Puck" tomatoes I had. Small determinate, wonderful flavored dark saladette sized tomatoes... and never got them sent in. So I used some of that seed for plants this year. Still small determinate plants, still dark tomatoes but these two are the size of slicers! So now I am keeping an eye on the other "Puck" plants and watching the tomatoes it looks like they will be slicers also... I am confused.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:57 pm

I have had such weird variations in size this year. Just a few tiny little tomatoes on beefsteak plants, slicers on plants that were growing the expected minis.....
SO GLAD to be back! I was locked out for about three months, for some strange reason. :shock:

Missed you all terribly! :cry:

Return to “General Discussion”