WW and rye bread sticks, made so they bake quickly.

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
pepperhead212
Reactions:

WW and rye bread sticks, made so they bake quickly.

Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:47 pm

Yesterday I baked some bread sticks, after grinding that rye flour yesterday (only 12 minutes of the oven on, so not bad, despite the AC being on). I used the end of my rye flour the last time I made bread, but not to fear - I still had a little more than 4 c of rye berries left, from when I bought 25 lbs of them in the beginning of the pandemic, along with a bunch of hard white wheat, so I was set for bread for a long time! I just got another 25 lb bag of rye berries, but I find WW cheaper at lidl, where they have a good WW @$2.59/5 lb bag, with a high protein (gluten), so good for bread. That's cheaper than a lot of AP flour I see!
ImageWhole rye flour, ground from the last 25 oz of rye berries, from whenever I got them in 2020, and 4 lbs, from the new 25 lb bag I just got. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSome bread sticks I made last night, after I ground that rye flour. Already had the WW flour, which is cheaper to buy at lidl now, but not whole grain rye, which is outrageous. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Re: WW and rye bread sticks, made so they bake quickly.

Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:40 am

Grain of the peasants and it's over priced.
How ironic.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:12 am

That's a smart trick for hot weather @pepperhead212 . I'll be keeping that in mind when July rolls around again!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:54 pm

@bower What I did to keep that oven on as little as possible was I just turned my countertop convection oven on 400° for just 2 minutes, then put the sticks in the oven for 10 minutes, before turning it off, and after about 6 minutes they looked done. I'll do that from now on, unless it's in the cold season, when it doesn't matter that I'm adding heat to the kitchen. Usually, it would be preheated about 5 minutes, and baked 15 minutes, so it reduced the on time by 8 minutes, and a lot longer than loaf bread!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bower
Reactions:

Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:09 pm

Thanks for the specifics @pepperhead212 .
Skipping the long preheating is something I've done too, and leaving it in after turning off makes perfect sense too. This is what I did when I recently tried cooking bacon in the oven. I didn't want to overdo it and didn't want to be hanging on the stove checking for a burnt result either, so I cut the cook time and turned off, then set the timer for another ten for a just right result.
When it comes to overheating the kitchen, it's too true that the oven stays hot a long while after the food comes out by recipe. Way better to use that heat, for sure.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “The Bakery”