Moving from Fluorescents to Leds

PoisonApple
Reactions:

Re: Moving from Fluorescents to Leds

Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:52 pm

Well, things are progressing. The tomato shelves are looking decent but the peppers and flowers are slow going. I think they could have used some more warmth for faster and more thorough germination. I ended up needing to consolidate down the shelves by 50% because I needed to use 3 lights to give enough coverage/light. I was originally hoping that 2 on each shelf would do it, but it just wasn't enough lumens and coverage and the plants were really starting to bend towards the lights. It has been better with 3 lights.
IMG_0993.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:26 pm

Since I moved early stuff outside I've been running just the one shelf with the two LED shop lights and one T12 daylight down the middle. Seem to be doing okay. Soon I will need to start a bunch more stuff, squash and more tomatoes and such, so will need the bottom shelf again.
My Romani peppers seem to do purple underleaves, while the jalapeno do not. And some of the tomatoes have more purple than others. They all seem to be doing pretty well, though.
01.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yak54
Reactions:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:24 am

I look forward to hearing your comparison between Sungold and Sunsugar. :D
Dan

CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:58 pm

Yak54 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:24 am I look forward to hearing your comparison between Sungold and Sunsugar. :D
Oh me too! I most often see people growing Sungold, but I've grown Sunsugar for years instead. Inquiring minds want to know who wins....
- Sandy zone 6A

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:59 pm

Oh sunsugar is better imo, I've said that for years.

Sunsugar has more normal tomato taste but is still sweet.

Sungold splits more. Has that unique non-tomato sweetness. Sets more per truss, but smaller.

Another reason I like Sungold less... when I was pulling a cage a few years back, the plant had grown into the cage, but I figured I could pull it. It was October and dying back. I tilted the cage and saw the roots start to come up. I didn't want to bend the cage legs further, so I went to pull the cage and it wouldn't hardly budge and I hurt my elbow. Years back, and it still hurts from overuse. Turns out I had planted TWO in that cage, about 10" apart...so when I saw the soil start to give, and pulled harder, it wasn't against half a root, it was against 1-1/2 roots. So...sungold is sneaky, conniving, and gangs up on you. A normal tomato wouldn't do that.

Yak54
Reactions:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:15 pm

I stopped growing Sungold and replaced it with Sunorange. No more splitting. I'll have to try Sunsugar though.
Dan

Return to “Seed Starting”