rooting rose cuttings

rxkeith
Reactions:

rooting rose cuttings

Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:20 pm

in the past i have had low success getting rose cuttings to root. the only rose i have is a white climber from
my mothers childhood home. even using rooting hormone did not really help.
lately i have been taking cuttings by snapping a branch that flowered off the main stem at the joint, and just
sticking it in water. after a few weeks, the end gets calloused over, and you can see the white nubs of new root growth
developing. i then place the cutting in potting soil, and keep the soil moist. i am three for three so far. easy peasy.
i would like to keep this rose going for as long as i can for sentimental reasons. being able to easily propagate it gives me
some security in case something happens to the main rose bush.

keith

peebee
Reactions:

Re: rooting rose cuttings

Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:49 pm

When a dear friend passed away I wanted to propagate a rose bush she gave me. We had to move it & I knew it was going to die. So I took at least 10 cuttings, and 3 rooted & are now flowering & ready for their permanent homes. It took me 3 years to perfect my method but the one thing that helped the most was using a product like Ultrasorb, the stuff you put on driveways to absorb oil spills. I use it for seed starting too. I cut holes on the bottom of plastic see-thru drink cups so I can see if roots are forming. I keep the cups in containers of water so they don't dry out, & cover loosely with another container.
It's a fun challenge for me but now I have to be careful not to overdo it cuz I'm running out of room for roses.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

bower
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:36 pm

My mom has a pink climber by her door, and she stuck some of her prunings in a jar of water... yup they rooted. I have too many roses but no, you can never have too many. So I hope to get one of those.
I had a hard time trying to get offshoots of the rosebushes here with roots - you dig it up and find just a stem running under the ground. What's that about I wonder. I definitely want to master the art of propagating by layering but it seems very hit and miss. Especially when you have a bush wandering into a path, it would be nice to just take those bits and make more bushes. I do know that if you get some roots, it is advised to pot them up and keep potted for a full winter before putting them in the ground here.

All the rose seeds I planted last year germinated - every last one. I have about thirty of those now about 8 inches tall. Rosa rugosa var alba, with giant hips, comes true to seed apparently and is self fertile. If anyone would like an invasive rose for hips, it can be done. ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Danny
Reactions:

Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:26 pm

I have used a device called a Clone King for years for soft and hardwood cuttings, with very good results. Especially with roses.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:52 pm

For difficult to root cuttings I make the cutting and dip it in Clonex. Then place in potting soil with an extra dose of perlite. Water well and then cover with a dome. I have never tried making a rose clone.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:18 pm

Is it too late for me to try this? Frost tomorrow maybe. I've never taken cuttings and tried to propagate. Our driveway rosebed has been a cherry tomato bed for quite a few years but I'd like to propogate the three or four remaining roses. The white was blooming today.

edit I just took cuttings from all four and now read it may take several YEARS for a planted cutting to make flowers?

rxkeith
Reactions:

Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:22 pm

nah, not several years.
it may take a couple years for the cutting to get big enough to produce ONE bloom, but by the third year
i would say it should start blooming on a regular basis. it depends on the vigor, and type of rose
it is, and the care it is given. i keep the rooted cuttings indoors the first year to give them a good start then
plant them out doors the second year. i had two plants from cuttings in my garden, but they both got that black stem
looking disease, and died. i currently have four in the house, one outside in a pot. i should have brought that one in
already before the snow storm, but i'll get it tomorrow. i took one last cutting a few days ago. most of the plant has developed
black spot, so i am uncertain how this cutting will fare. nothing ventured, nothing gained. 4 for 4 so far, just snapping the cutting
off at the joint, sticking it in water for two or three weeks until you see little white nubs at the end of the stem. then plant in a pot
in potting soil. can't get much simpler than that.

keith

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:46 pm

Danny wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:26 pm I have used a device called a Clone King for years for soft and hardwood cuttings, with very good results. Especially with roses.
The original machine was called the EZ Cloner. Cannabis growers call them "aero cloners." They can be built with a mag drive pump, pvc manifold, and red mister heads. The advantage to buying one is that you get the nice bin with the raised edges so it doesn't leak. I don't know if you run yours on a timer with roses, but when I built one, I had to run it 15 minutes on and then 15 off, or else the water got too hot from the pump.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:29 pm

Well I got those in cups of ultrasorb. If they don't make it, no big loss. I am not much for roses, two of them weren't bad, the other two, really nasty thorns.

peebee
Reactions:

Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:01 pm

@JRinPA my roses that successfully grew from cuttings bloomed in a few months, I was really surprised & happy. All done outdoors, so I think my climate is really great for roses. Not every cutting is going to make it, but now I know I can take a bunch & a few will grow.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:03 pm

Hehhehe Location: So. Calif zone 10
yeah, we'll see if my less than amateur cuttings of haggard roses do anything up here.

I am glad to hear from you guys that it is not "several years" as I read on at least one site. Had I read that first, I wouldn't have braved the thorns at all.

We get a lot aphids, japanese beetles, and now the spotted lantern fly nymphs. They have not been well looked after in years.

peebee
Reactions:

Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:12 pm

@JRinPA just keep on trying. I tried for 3 years before I magically had several grow. I think having the cuttings loosely covered was key, & I mean loosely. Since you're in a colder zone, yeah indoors for you 🙂

LindaJean
Reactions:

Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:56 am

After many attempts one little rose start successfully grew. i got the big idea to pot it up in crummy potting mix and killed it.
This is the method I'm going to try in Spring with a cutting of the David Austin rose "Evelyn".

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:00 pm

@LindaJean I follow this YouTuber, & I'll try this method too. She didn't have much success with her indoor propagation methods before if I recall so I'm glad this is working for her.
Evelyn! Coveted by so many on the Houzz rose forum. I'll find one someday.
Let us know if this works for you & I will post too if I'm successful. I'll be pruning in Jan so I'll have tons of cuttings.

LindaJean
Reactions:

Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:55 pm

It's so cool you've had success Peebee. Someone on HOUZZ Roses Forum said Evelyn roots easily. I had one root but it turned black in Spring, I think it drowned because of some over anxious rose fanatic.
This coming Spring I have to cut Madame Hardy back, i can get practice with her and give away the babies if any root.
CloseUpMadameHardy.JPG
The easiest propagation has been roses that decided to have baby suckers on their own, although I didn't really want La Reine to be acquiring more territory for her children. I'll be digging down and cutting her apron strings to her offspring . The little Sucker gets to grow a while undisturbed while it's own roots develop and then it leaves the nest. It has worked with Duchesse de Rohan.
* I forgot and have to research TJ again how to copy member names and quotes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peebee
Reactions:

Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:32 pm

To anyone reading this thread, who wants to try the various methods I'd say the #1 tip I can offer is to do as many cuttings as possible. My rate has been 1 out of 10 stems but I'm thrilled with that. So I tried 60 last year & got 6 growing now. I use see-thru plastic drink cups so I can see any roots otherwise I'd pull out stems too early cuz I'm also an overly anxious rose fanatic 🙂

bower
Reactions:

Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:26 pm

The rose that I really need to stop spreading (by taking up the rooted shoots on the sides) is Raubritter. It seems to root really easily from its own shoots, or maybe it's just that it had more time and spread further than the less rooty roses, the old fashioned rugosa hybrids.

I noticed today that the hips have started to soften from a couple of frosty nights, so this would be time to look for some rose seeds to stratify for next spring. I would love to get seedlings from my red Survivor if it has any seeds. Also Maiden's Blush - I only found one seed last year and it didn't germinate. MB is hexaploid so probably not compatible with any of my other roses, and doesn't seem to be very self fertile either, but I think Peebee's advice about cuttings applies really well to seedlings too - start lots, and hope to get some.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Perennials”