Air layering a rosemary plant

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Air layering a rosemary plant

Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:30 pm

I've done this with my curry tree and lime tree before, and it's easy to do, and with this was was even faster than the others. I wanted to get another "backup plant" in a pot, as last winter, the outside plants had nearly died from an extremely cold snap, though it had survived the same temperature all 3 years previously. Eventually, I dug it all out (not enough was going to come back), and planted the "backup" potted plant I had up to that point, and it has taken off this summer. And I wanted another backup plant, so I air layered this one. The first stem I air layered died, but the second one rooted well, and I planted it in a 3 gal fabric pot, with some worm castings in the mix, with a generous amount of perlite, for drainage. I also moistened the surface of the soil mix with some Bt israelensis, to kill any fungus gnat larvae, that may appear. (I also have to do this with all the rest of my plants that will be brought in soon).

ImageAir layered rosemary branch, cut away from the plant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAir layered Hill-Hardy rosemary branch, planted in a 3 gallon fabric potter, 10-2-23 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the rosemary plant that I planted back in spring, and it has about doubled in size. So now I'll have another backup in a pot! That sage is surprisingly hardy - I cut it almost all the way to the ground, as the winter seemed to kill it all, and they grow right back!
ImageBackup rosemary plant, about doubled in size in 6 months. 10-2-23 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHere's the rosemary, next to the sage plant, showing how huge it got after cutting down to the groun by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Last edited by pepperhead212 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bower
Reactions:

Re: Air layering a rosemary plant

Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:10 pm

That's an interesting idea, to cut the sage right back. Here they look pretty miserable but manage to hang onto a few leaves until they can revive the plant.
I actually lost a big patch of sage this winter which has been sticking it out for close to 30 years. Only two plants on either end survived.

I love your device for air layering. All I've done with the rosemary is to let the branch droop into some soil. I made a bunch of plants last year but the one I kept indoors got mites or something on it so I put the pot out. Now I'm thinking I should plant that in a sheltered spot and see if it can overwinter. I was so anxious about leaving the mother plant in the greenhouse but now I think, it was okay and maybe in some ways a benefit to the plant, to experience a normal winter cycle.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Herbs”