Feedback request - results from my seeds?

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Feedback request - results from my seeds?

Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:41 pm

I'm assembling my seeds for the 2023 MMMM and find myself wondering whether my saved seeds are producing what they are supposed to produce. I haven't had space in my own garden to test them other than simple germination tests (I've been trying new varieties each year in my limited space). I don't want to be distributing bad seeds.

Did anyone grow any of my seeds this year? If so, would you be willing to report your results -- even just a simple "as expected" or "didn't grow true"? You won't hurt my feelings if you tell me they didn't work out -- I want to know!

I'm attaching (I hope) a jpg of the first page of what my seed labels looked like, as well as a pdf of all of my labels from last year. Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
MMMM 2022 labels jpg.jpg
MMMM seed pack labels 2022.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Re: Feedback request - results from my seeds?

Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:50 pm

Of yours I grew Oaxacan Jewel and Moruno de San Pablo and both were 👍👍
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:16 pm

I think I received several of your varieties. I didn't grow any this year, but if I do next year, I'll let you know if I have any problems. I'm sure I won't. :)
SO GLAD to be back! I was locked out for about three months, for some strange reason. :shock:

Missed you all terribly! :cry:

Traveler
Reactions:

Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:55 pm

I grew your Rosella Cherry and it performed very well as expected.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:27 am

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear the seeds are growing true. I tried bagging blossoms this year but failed miserably (bags too small, and temps shot up to the high 90s about the day after I put the bags on, so no fruit set). I'll try bagging blossoms again next year, but it's good to know results have been okay without it.

Out of 17 OP and heirlooms I grew this year, I had two that didn't grow true. One was Fruit Punch cherry tomato, from commercial seed. I got a red, somewhat bland cherry tomato, as opposed to pink and very sweet. They were prolific and made a delicious roasted sauce, so I was happy anyway. The other was Chris' Greek Mama, which should have been a bright red, ribbed, tasty slicer, but I got a very pink, very heavily ribbed, squatty, elongated side-to-side slicer. It was prolific and the tomatoes were really pretty and unusual, but unfortunately they had no flavor at all. These were non-commercial seeds.

I generally get about two plants per year (out of 20-ish OPs) that don't grow true, and it's commercial seed as often as non-commercial seed.

Return to “MMMM Swap”