Need a Wintertime garden hose

JRinPA
Reactions:

Need a Wintertime garden hose

Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:18 pm

Okay so I have old sears rubber hoses that sit out all year but during the winter they are drained and wrapped up. Can't use these below about 40f or so because they stiffen up so much. And they are unwieldy 50-100ft things to drain all the time.

So it froze last week for a night and I drained these hoses. They won't get hooked back up for 5-6 months.

This is the problem I always have - now I have no water access outside the house. I don't need it all the time, but sometimes it would be nice.

What kind of hose can I buy to give me 25 ft of reach and still be pliable when the weather is cold? What material, or brand, should I be looking for? If it is small I could disconnect it easily and stow inside, or drain it each time. I would need to shut off and drain the spigot each time as I don't have freeze-free spigots.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Re: Need a Wintertime garden hose

Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:04 am

How about one of the expandable hoses? Very lightweight, easy to drain, coils up in a flower pot. Ease of use is amazing. I've been using the same Flexi Hose 50ft for several years in the garden and it works great. I was skeptical about them and never would have bought one but received it as a gift and love it so much I bought a second one. Pocket Hose seems to be the most well-known and widely available brand, but their reviews look worse than Flexi Hose and some of the other brands.

ddsack
Reactions:

Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:25 pm

Husband always needs a hose to wash out the deer carcass during hunting season in November. He just keeps one of the shorter garden hoses handy in the garage, and if the garage is frozen (a few days of 10F or below will do it) he brings it into the furnace room or puts it into the downstairs bathtub to thaw. Since it's mostly drained before storing, does not take long to warm up enough to use outside.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:47 pm

I do remember the pocket hose, an aunt was in love with hers a few years back, until it let go on her.

The problem I have had with short rubber hoses is they can't take the line pressure and want burst quickly. Maybe 20 ft would be okay but 10ft seems to break - just not enough room to slow down the initial surge.

Are they making gore tex hoses yet? Goretex waders stay pliable right until 32F. Or kevlar? Small, not firehoses. Anyway.

A flexi hose with a quick disconnect might be the thing. I've not looked at them closely. As long as the quick disconnect can drain. Maybe a second fitting with a just a small unplugged run of hose to drain it.

I've seen some people using air hose, the plastic coil type, during the summer. I guess that is PVC. 3/8" or 1/4"? That would be light. But PVC, I have my doubts about the cold.

I disconnected the hose and timer last week. I had a sprinkler going twice a day for grass seed and it actually came in decent, for me. But now it has continued to be be dry and I just had to hook it up manually. But I need a hose for some of it where the sprinkler doesn't reach. And just in general.

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:58 pm

Look into a R V type water supply one

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:57 pm

I will do that, good idea, thanks.

Return to “Garden Tools and Equipment.”