did you grow Tim's Taste of Paradise or Janet's Jacinthe Jewel?

Everything About Tomatoes
habitat-gardener
Reactions:

did you grow Tim's Taste of Paradise or Janet's Jacinthe Jewel?

Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:14 pm

I'm thinking of adding Tim's Taste of Paradise and Janet's Jacinthe Jewel to the lineup for the master gardener plant sale. Also considering Golden Hour (new from Wild Boar Farms), Cowboy (if I can find seeds), Ruby Slippers (ditto), and Taste Patio (ditto).
If you've grown any of these in a hot, dry summer climate, did it do well? Was it worth growing?

Lotte
Reactions:

Re: did you grow Tim's Taste of Paradise or Janet's Jacinthe Jewel?

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:37 am

I grew Tim's Taste of Paradise this year.We had a very hot and dry summer, but also one very cold month, so I'm not sure the plant showed me it's very best.I live in Denmark.Also I got the seeds a bit late so was for a long time not sure that I would get any tomatoes.But when it started setting flowers it came well and gave lots of tomatoes.They did not have that 'Paradise-taste' I thought it would have, but that is maybe my wrong expectations.I think you should go for it.

jeepgirl8
Reactions:

Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:09 am

Ruby Slippers dwarf and Cowboy would be the top two choices.

Ruby slippers was very dwarf (felt even micro sized) but produced well with no disease in a 5 gallon bucket.

Tim’s taste of paradise- three plants only one survived to produce. Definitely overhyped and not “paradise.” The as seedlings the plants were just pitiful.

Golden Hour Micro is pretty and a healthy plant but devoid of taste. I grew it in ground, in a 1 gallon pot and a 5 gallon grow bag. Fertilized on a schedule and just yuck. It seems like it was bred for looks over flavor.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:14 am

I would have included Ruby Slippers and Cowboy if I found them at a US supplier. (it is even challenging to find Polaris; maybe I should suggest I use my saved seeds!) Maybe next year.

I did order Taste Patio.

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:06 am

I grew Golden Hour inside last year inside--wasn't very happy with it (about the same review as jeepgirl), but I grew it in pretty small pots under lights, so YMMV (your mileage may vary).

I almost always grow Taste Patio, it's very productive and great tasting. I always have disease problems with it, but I have disease problems with everything. Some day I will figure out how to prune Fred's semi-determinates, that may help some with the disease, having a less crowded plant.

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:51 pm

I grew Golden Hour inside last winter and then in the greenhouse for the spring, summer and fall. I never really like the flavor of winter grown indoor tomatoes and this was no different. I only tasted a couple after it was out in the greenhouse because life got hectic shortly after that, but it seemed like they tasted better then. I'm trying them again in baskets this year so we'll see.

On a side note, the one that tasted great and did fabulously in a container in the greenhouse, even under neglectful conditions was Dark Stripe Micro (which is a dwarf, not a micro).

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:11 pm

Acer Rubrum wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:51 pm I never really like the flavor of winter grown indoor tomatoes
This seems to be a recurring theme, in AeroGardens, etc. Is it not possible to grow tomatoes inside that taste good? I still have this fantasy of having a grow tent and getting great tomatoes during the winter, and you are dashing my hopes. GoDawgs seems to do very well with her indoor tomatoes, I don't remember if she commented on the flavor.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:28 pm

I’ve got ruby slippers growing now indoors it is definitely smaller more like a micro and a bunch more I think as far as micros grow Vilma was the best and tiny totum .rosie finch Laura 5 and a few others . I’m testing out patio indoors Japanese dwarf 506 bush and gandolf got flower on the dwarf so will see how they taiste so far all the bigger plants and other are just babies

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:58 pm

Setec Astronomy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:11 pm
Acer Rubrum wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:51 pm I never really like the flavor of winter grown indoor tomatoes
This seems to be a recurring theme, in AeroGardens, etc. Is it not possible to grow tomatoes inside that taste good? I still have this fantasy of having a grow tent and getting great tomatoes during the winter, and you are dashing my hopes. GoDawgs seems to do very well with her indoor tomatoes, I don't remember if she commented on the flavor.
There seems to be something in the spring and summer sun that makes them taste better. I have theorized that maybe getting the right micro nutrients and minerals and such might help. I haven't actually done the research or any experiments, though.

AdamF
Reactions:

Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:40 pm

Tried Tim's Taste of Paradise in 2023, (South of the UK in greenhouse during a dull and wet summer) whilst trying to find OP varieties with that tropical hit that you get from sungold.

Tim's Taste of Paradise was a very vigourous cherry with prolific growth. However the flavour was strange. Initially sweet, little acidity but with an unpleasant lingering aftertaste that is hard to describe and unlike any tomato I have tasted (maybe an aniseed flavour IIRC). I actually ended up pulling it out halfway through the growing season, as everyone who tried it agreed it was just a odd, mildly unpleasant taste.

Unlikely to grow again - but who knows, maybe the variety isn't fully stable yet and I got unlucky?

TomatoNinja
Reactions:

Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:26 am

habitat-gardener wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:14 pm I'm thinking of adding Tim's Taste of Paradise and Janet's Jacinthe Jewel to the lineup for the master gardener plant sale. Also considering Golden Hour (new from Wild Boar Farms), Cowboy (if I can find seeds), Ruby Slippers (ditto), and Taste Patio (ditto).
If you've grown any of these in a hot, dry summer climate, did it do well? Was it worth growing?
I grew Tim’s taste of paradise last year. I was disappointed in the flavor. I wont be growing next season

Return to “Tomato Talk”