Starting plants in an AeroGarden

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Starting plants in an AeroGarden

Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:03 pm

I'm thinking about buying one mainly to start micro dwarfs for the garden next spring. Any feedback on how this works out? I suspect there would be quite a wad of roots to deal with. Maybe I'd tackle some herbs, also. I've read that herbs works out quite well in these indoor units.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Re: Starting plants in an AeroGarden

Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:35 pm

I just bought 2 that were on sale. Im new to it as well I wanted to try cucumbers in winter and herbs.. so far I have an iznik cucumber and I have some tyhme and oregano and some chives.. they just poped up so I really have no idea what Im doing yet.. I say go for it Im gonna try micros in it as well.. there are a bunch of new ones out there..

Yak54
Reactions:

Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:21 pm

I got one last year to try it for lettuce and after 6 wks. of growing lettuce decided it was not what I wanted for lettuce. However I then started a couple of Basil plants in it and was pleased with the results. So 3 wks. ago I planted more Basil in it and it is doing quite well. We should be picking Basil leaves from the 2 plants in a week or so. I have absolutely no experience with micro tomatoes so I won't comment.
Dan

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:14 pm

I've been growing in hydroponics for many years, but never grew any flowering plants - only herbs and greens. Leaf lettuce, mizuna, and last year I tried Russian red kale, which is the fastest growing, and the same this year. The greens and herbs have to be cut frequently, to keep them from bolting, though some bolt too fast anyway - you just have to find the right varieties. As for tomatoes, or any flowering veggies, you'll have to start with nutrients for growth - the ones I use all the time for greens - and once the time comes for flowering, switch to a "bloom" nutrient of some sort. There is also another set of nutrients more for the growth of the fruits, though I can only see switching to something like that, if you are doing determinate type plants; otherwise, you will always have the plants flowering.

As for those "wads of roots", that can be a problem with some things - again, no experience with tomatoes. But some greens and herbs get overgrown! Flat leaf parsley is one, cutting celery, or celery leaf, is another, and last year I tried arugula, which bolted sooner than many (though I harvested quite a lot from it), and when I went to remove it, I could barely get the basket out, like with those others! Hopefully the dwarf tomatoes won't do this.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Should work, only concern is transitioning the hydroponic root to adapt to soil, and then to outdoor condition. So I wouldn't make it too sudden and shock the plant. Also if you intend to transplant it into soil, then I believe you don't have to worry about the right NPK ratio as much in the early stage, fully hydro growing would require to switch up the type of fertilizer midway.

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:34 am

I start all my plants in my Aerogardens. I love them. When I transplant, I water them thoroughly and leave them in dim light or dark for a day, then acclimate them to the outside.
SO GLAD to be back! I was locked out for about three months, for some strange reason. :shock:

Missed you all terribly! :cry:

JayneR13
Reactions:

Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:33 am

I have and do grow dwarf tomatoes in my IDOO unit. The 12 hole IDOO is much cheaper than an Aerogarden and works well for me, though it's worth noting that the smaller units don't have the same nice features and durability. The 12 hole unit has a nice window to view nutrient levels and the control panel works better with a timer than the smaller units. I suspect the LED panels dim over time and there's no easy way to replace just the lights. Evidently IDOO wants you to buy an entire new unit. The pump is just an aquarium pump, easier to replace. My experience. YMMV of course.

The roots of the tomatoes develop in the same pattern as with greens and herbs, a huge wad. My Minibel outgrew everything else to the point that it was the only plant in the unit, and I got a nice harvest from it. My determinant tomato kept going and going until the fruits got bitter and I cut it down. Right now I've got Minibel, Tiny Tim, and Mystic Lady growing in my smaller unit. They've barely sprouted so not much to report yet.

The nutrient solution I use is a mix of Master Blend, Epsom salt, and calcium nitrate. I don't use anything different between growing and flowering and it seems to work well. If you look at the label you'll see most of the micronutrients are included along with the majors and secondaries. https://www.powergrowsystems.com/collec ... r-kit-bulk

@Stitchingmom do you have any difficulty acclimating your transplants to soil vs. nutrient solution? One of MIGardener's videos mentioned that.

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:13 am

Can anyone explain about the "Nutrient A and B" that comes with most of these AeroGarden-type systems. Also of interest to me is that the original AeroGarden uses a single solution fertilizer. But no checking solids, pH, etc with any of these mini systems.
Last edited by Greatgardens on Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Labradors
Reactions:

Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:02 pm

I recently reived my Black Friday Special "Harvest" Aerogarden, and just started some lettuces in it. I bought the seeds separately as the pods came with some herbs that I didn't want. I set everything up with water and nutrients and didn't turn on the lights for 3 days, thinking they would need a few days to germinate. After a couple of days under the lights, the seedlings are up already :).

I joined an Aerogarden forum on Facebook to learn more, and apparently, people trim the roots on a weekly basis! I also learned that you can cut the leaves in half horizontally, to keep them from touching the light. They just keep on growing :).

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:43 pm

Hubby just ordered a 3rd one for me early Christmas that’s more than enough!! Got a lot to learn about these things

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:20 pm

Labradors wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:02 pm
... I joined an Aerogarden forum on Facebook to learn more, and apparently, people trim the roots on a weekly basis! I also learned that you can cut the leaves in half horizontally, to keep them from touching the light. They just keep on growing :).
I took the plunge today with a Bounty. Which Facebook group did you join? Looks like they have several different ones.

Labradors
Reactions:

Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:35 pm

Greatgardens, I joined two FB groups: "Aerogarden Learn, Share, Grow", and "Aerogarden Enthusiasts". Good luck with your Bounty :).

Linda

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:01 pm

JayneR13 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:33 am I have and do grow dwarf tomatoes in my IDOO unit. The 12 hole IDOO is much cheaper than an Aerogarden and works well for me, though it's worth noting that the smaller units don't have the same nice features and durability. The 12 hole unit has a nice window to view nutrient levels and the control panel works better with a timer than the smaller units. I suspect the LED panels dim over time and there's no easy way to replace just the lights. Evidently IDOO wants you to buy an entire new unit. The pump is just an aquarium pump, easier to replace. My experience. YMMV of course.

The roots of the tomatoes develop in the same pattern as with greens and herbs, a huge wad. My Minibel outgrew everything else to the point that it was the only plant in the unit, and I got a nice harvest from it. My determinant tomato kept going and going until the fruits got bitter and I cut it down. Right now I've got Minibel, Tiny Tim, and Mystic Lady growing in my smaller unit. They've barely sprouted so not much to report yet.

The nutrient solution I use is a mix of Master Blend, Epsom salt, and calcium nitrate. I don't use anything different between growing and flowering and it seems to work well. If you look at the label you'll see most of the micronutrients are included along with the majors and secondaries. https://www.powergrowsystems.com/collec ... r-kit-bulk

@Stitchingmom do you have any difficulty acclimating your transplants to soil vs. nutrient solution? One of MIGardener's videos mentioned that.
They do droop badly for a day or so, but the darkened environment helps a lot.
SO GLAD to be back! I was locked out for about three months, for some strange reason. :shock:

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:58 pm

I recommend this FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/aerogar ... yfanatics/

Aerogarden nutrients are PH buffered to eliminate the need to check PH. This is why I won't switch to Masterblend. I barely manage to check EC on a regular basis. I am using Maxigro and Maxibloom for my hydro buckets. They are also PH buffered. I will switch everything when I run out of AG nutrients, but that won't be for a LONG time. I bought a ton on a great sale. :)

JayneR13
Reactions:

Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:48 am

Thanks @Stitchingmom but I'm not on Facebook, and have to plans to be. Interesting about the pH of MasterBlend. I've never heard of that but will certainly check into it!

JayneR13
Reactions:

Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:51 am

To follow up, I tested my nutrient solution using both a probe and a color test. Averaging the values of two dicey tests leads to the conclusion that my solution may be a bit more acid than most vegetables like. Interesting because my plants haven't been growing very quickly since I switched over to this and a too low pH may be why.
pH test 1.jpg
pH test 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:09 pm

Getting too acid is one problem I get with my hydro systems - not sure what does this, especially in the early weeks, when there is little going on, as far as changes from the plants using a lot of nutrients, or decomposition. I have to check frequently, and the color gets down into the red zone, and I put more "ph up" into them, to get them around 6.5, or thereabouts. The buffer doesn't seem to help that much.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:22 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:09 pm Getting too acid is one problem I get with my hydro systems - not sure what does this, especially in the early weeks, when there is little going on, as far as changes from the plants using a lot of nutrients, or decomposition. I have to check frequently, and the color gets down into the red zone, and I put more "ph up" into them, to get them around 6.5, or thereabouts. The buffer doesn't seem to help that much.
What water are you using? I've got good public water, and have never had to treat my water. I checked it at first, but it was always fine.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:06 pm

I was woundering the same thing I have well water.. but I also use a filter and a water softener. didnt know about the master blend either.. I do have stuff that came with it and I have fox farms grow big and tiger bloom.. wanted to try it out this winter for the ones growing in dirt.. looks like I'll be buying more solution..

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:16 pm

Softened water will kill plants. Softened water contains high amounts of salt.

Return to “Hydroponics”