Greek Potatoes For Canning

What's cooking?
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:02 am

Pickles can't remember which website she found this on but it's a great recipe for dealing with extra potatoes you have on hand. Adjust seasoning amounts to fit the quantity. I'm posting the recipe for the full amount and then will give the "per pint" version that Pickles worked up in case you want to try a small batch first to see if you like them without ruining 18 lbs of spuds!

18 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed to 1/2" to 1" dice
3 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
3 1/2 tsp dried dill
3 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 3/4 tsp dried marjoram
3 1/2 tsp dried parsley
14 cloves garlic, crushed
7 TBS lemon juice, bottled or fresh
7 tsp Dijon mustard
14 cups water or broth, hot (you may need more or less water)

Prepare the potatoes and soak in cold water with bottled lemon juice or citric acid for 30 minutes. This can be done overnight. Drain, rinse and soak again another 30 minutes.

Bring pot of water to a boil, drop in potatoes and boil 2 minutes. Drain.

Fill quart jars with potatoes and to each jar add 1/2 tsp each of lemon pepper, dill, oregano, parsley, 1/4 tsp marjoram, 2 cloves garlic, 1 TBS lemon juice and 1 tsp dijon mustard. Cut these amounts in half if using pint jars.

Fill jars with hot water or broth leaving 1" headspace, de-bubble the jars, wipe rims, place lids and rings on fingertip tight. Place hot jars in hot pressure canner.

Process quarts 40 minutes and pints 35 minutes.

Pickles' version of this recipe using Pints:

Prepping the potatoes: She did not dice them but cut them into chunks for fear that such small dice would get mushy. The chunks did not. She also did not use the lemon juice or citric acid in the soaking water. After cutting them up she just kept them covered with plain water in a pot while getting out the flavorings and drained the potatoes well when ready to use them. They did not discolor. She also did not do the two minute pre-boil. Your choice.

After filling the jars with potatoes, to each pint jar she added 1/4 tsp each lemon pepper, dill, oregano, parsley and 1/8 tsp marjoram, 1 clove garlic (can use 1/8 tsp garlic powder or more to taste), 1/2 TBS lemon juice and 1/2 tsp dijon.

She filled the jars with hot homemade chicken stock and proceeded to process the batch as directed, 35 minutes for the pints.

FOR THE ITALIAN VERSION: Pickles replaced all of the dried seasonings and Dijon listed above with one mashed garlic clove and 1/2 tsp jarred Italian seasoning per pint. I imagine you can pretty much monkey with the seasoning mix to your taste and create other versions. Curried? German? Scandinavian?

Christinajomd
Reactions:

Re: Greek Potatoes For Canning

Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:14 am

Thanks for posting this! I've printed it off and will try the pint version. I'm learning to put up my harvest. Thanks

Return to “Recipes”