Orange Cherry Pear tomato

Whwoz
Reactions:

Orange Cherry Pear tomato

Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:49 am

Had an interesting tomato turn up for dinner tonight, from one of those mixed cherry clamshells, an orange pear shaped cherry. 21 g/3/4 Oz. Tried saving seed, but not sure if any present, time will tell, what I was able to squeeze out is fermenting now.
IMG_20231225_194927_406.jpg
Not aware of any like this available to home growers here down under. Typical commercial tomato with not a lot of taste.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Orange Cherry Pear tomato

Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:10 am

No seed unfortunately

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Re: Orange Cherry Pear tomato

Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:33 am

Too bad about the lack of seed. I saved seed from an orange pear-shaped cherry tomato out of store-bought mixed cherry tomatoes a few years ago. It looked a lot like the one in your picture, but a little less fat on the bottom, kind of in between pear and grape shape. The original tomato was very sweet. I grew three plants that summer. Two of them had a normal growth and fruiting habit and produced a normal amount of cherry tomatoes, same basic color and shape as the original, with decent taste but not as sweet as the original. The third plant was huge and absolutely covered with huge bunches of tomatoes, so the plant looked more orange than green. I guess this was a multi-flora plant? I've never grown anything like it before. Unfortunately, the fruit of that plant were bland. I saved seed from both types but haven't grown them out yet due to lack of space. Maybe some day.

Return to “Hybrid Tomatoes”