Little White Buffalo

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Little White Buffalo

Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:12 am

24CA98B5-90FB-4B0F-8D58-9D8D9E2DB7AB.jpeg
D36A283C-CB68-4F68-869E-BDA4D210B408.jpeg
Has anyone ever seen Little White Buffalo tomato for sale? I have only seen it referenced obscurely three times on the internet, and those references are from about 5 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Little White Buffalo

Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:45 am

Haven’t heard of it. @Tormato ?
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:52 am

I thought this was about a new baby white buffalo.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:05 am

PlainJane wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:45 am Haven’t heard of it. @Tormato ?
Sure, I've heard of it, just like Buffalo Soldier. I believe both are Bill Jeffers creations/selections.

Many of his tomatoes I hear of, but maybe one in 20 do I ever see seed of, or even see a description of.

Rosedale Tomato Works (on Facebook), of which I just recently joined, is the first FB group that I've been able to join. I think someone sent me an invite, or FB has an algorithm that sends out an invite in an email. For some reason, I previously was blocked from joining any groups. RTW is where Bill hangs out, and also Karol Galbiati (Gabby1, here). Karol rarely posts, here. She sends me a few of Bills creations, for me to trial or send out into the swap.

Perhaps for a stronger link to Bill's tomatoes, someone here, who has time (alas, not me at this time of year), could join that FB group, and be willing to partake in the conversations over there. There seems to be a much stronger interest in his tomatoes, than the link in communicating with those people that know about the tomatoes and possible sources of seeds.

My tomato world has basically been limited to Gardenweb/Houzz (which is almost dormant at this time), T'ville and T'junction. For years, I simply had no access to joining any of the FB groups.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:44 pm

Tormato wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:05 am
Sure, I've heard of it, just like Buffalo Soldier. I believe both are Bill Jeffers creations/selections.

Many of his tomatoes I hear of, but maybe one in 20 do I ever see seed of, or even see a description of.

Rosedale Tomato Works (on Facebook), of which I just recently joined, is the first FB group that I've been able to join. I think someone sent me an invite, or FB has an algorithm that sends out an invite in an email. For some reason, I previously was blocked from joining any groups. RTW is where Bill hangs out, and also Karol Galbiati (Gabby1, here). Karol rarely posts, here. She sends me a few of Bills creations, for me to trial or send out into the swap.

Perhaps for a stronger link to Bill's tomatoes, someone here, who has time (alas, not me at this time of year), could join that FB group, and be willing to partake in the conversations over there. There seems to be a much stronger interest in his tomatoes, than the link in communicating with those people that know about the tomatoes and possible sources of seeds.

My tomato world has basically been limited to Gardenweb/Houzz (which is almost dormant at this time), T'ville and T'junction. For years, I simply had no access to joining any of the FB groups.
I'm a member of the group. What of Bill's tomatoes would you like me to request for you?
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:53 pm

MissS wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:44 pm
Tormato wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:05 am

I'm a member of the group. What of Bill's tomatoes would you like me to request for you?
It would be best to ask NYTomatoNewbie.

(because I would request all of them) ;)

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:29 pm

@MissS

Little White Buffalo and Buffalo Soldier are on my in search of list. I have seen Buffalo Soldier available from a few vendors, but can’t find Little White Buffalo for sale. Maybe it was never completely stabilized? I don’t want to cause anyone extra work tracking it down, but thought it was worth asking in case I missed it available somewhere. It was for sale circa 2016-2018 as a started plant at nursery in Canada, and Dean slater had some m of Bill’s seeds circa 2018. Thank you everyone for the info!

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:42 pm

@NYTomatoNewbie I will wait to hear from Gary and after I do I will go to the group and ask about Little White Buffalo. I haven't seen it mentioned there before so I will see what I can learn.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:23 pm

@NYTomatoNewbie
image.png
He really didn't think too much of this tomato and never took it beyond the second generation. It was not stable when the Michigan person received it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Patti ~

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:24 pm

@MissS Thank you for looking into it!

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:23 am

I'll keep my eyes peeled when shopping for seeds. Never know when some of the rare ones may show up.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

NYTomatoNewbie
Reactions:

Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:27 am

Has anyone seen a description or photo of Lipstick tomato (not the pepper)? The only reference I can find is on tomatofifou that indirectly says 'Lipsticks' is from the 'Gail' line developed by Bill Jeffers. It says it’s the pink sister of Lilian Marie, so lipstick may be potato leaf too. Not sure if this is a cross from Gail that was not fully stabilized. I have a few seeds from a swap from last year.

Return to “Seeds Wanted”