How much does your nonprofit charge for a tomato plant?

Everything About Tomatoes
habitat-gardener
Reactions:

How much does your nonprofit charge for a tomato plant?

Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:20 pm

Our local master gardener group has been charging $3 for 4-inch tomato seedlings that we grow in a commercial greenhouse (which means they are healthy and sturdy). We sell them on 2 Saturday mornings in April. Typically, we grow 1150 seedlings and sell 700-ish. The rest get donated.

Now there is talk of raising the price to $4. I think we will sell fewer. But most of the other nonprofits charge $4 for seedlings (that are not all as sturdy as ours). The one place that’s cheaper is the community college whose greenhouses we use. Their sale is the same time as ours, and their tomato plants have been $2 per 4-inch pot, or $4 for a 6- pack.

How much do nonprofits charge for tomato seedlings in your area?

Paulf
Reactions:

Re: How much does your nonprofit charge for a tomato plant?

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:05 am

This non-profit gives away any extra plants to anyone who wants them. Not many real groups in my area grow and sell tomato plants. There are a bunch of for profit nurseries selling hybrids for $1 each for bigger plants and $3 for a smaller sized 6-pack. Heirlooms/OP are going for $2 each if you can find a place that even sells them. Box stores sell the Bonny Best version of heirlooms for a couple bucks but then the true-to-variety problems are in place. You never know what you get.

The situation here is that there is not enough population to make it pay to sell enough tomato plants for a non-profit to make a profit. Flowers do well but only so many tomato growers are interested enough to be in competition with the nurseries and box stores. Some years I am unable to give away the few extras I grow. Some years people keep asking for the freebies long after they are gone.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:15 am

I can't remember the last time I saw a tomato plant for $1, or even $2 each! I also never see 6 packs any more. But then, it's been a while since I even looked for any - I just see them in passing.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:31 pm

@habitat-gardener If your organization insists on raising the price, you could offer a discount for multiple purchases such as 3 for $10 or buy 4, get one free. Seems like the intent is to not end up with hundreds of unsold plants. In any case, let us know what is decided and the outcome.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

GVGardens
Reactions:

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:17 pm

Most of our nonprofits charge $3. A couple charge $4 but those sales aren't as popular. People tend to only go to the $4 sales if they have a particular variety they’re looking for or if it’s a cause they support or if it's part of a bigger spring vendor fair with other stuff to see/do/buy.

I think it depends on your selection and how discriminating your customers are. The better-attended sales list which varieties they’re selling in advance (even if that's just on facebook or instagram). A local community garden has a $3 sale with a robust list of interesting varieties and they could probably increase their prices to $5 and still do OK. But they've been doing it for decades and their sale has a line around the block.

For comparison, nurseries in town charge between $2 and $3 each. If you go 30 mins out of town/to the burbs, the nurseries sell 6 packs for $5-$6 in Feb and early March and then increase the price when the plants get bigger.
Clay soil in the Texas Hill Country, Zone 9b-ish
Yearly precipitation: 35 inches

Return to “Tomato Talk”