davood's 2024 tomatoes and peppers

davood
Reactions:

davood's 2024 tomatoes and peppers

Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:06 am

last year I grew:

Tommy Toe, Matts Wild Cherry, Girl Girl's Weird Thing, KBX, Fish Lake Oxheart, Earl of Edgecombe, Dester, ISPL, Vorlon, and Rebel Yell.

Really liked the production and fruit quality of KBX and Fish Lake Oxheart. ISPL produced like gangbusters but had so much cracking and splitting. Got some seed for Spudakee which is supposed to crack and split less than ISPL, but will probably save it to plant next year.

This year I'll regrow KBX and try a few new varieties:

Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Wes
Aker's West Virginia
Prue

27 plants total.

Seeds were started on 1/31.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Re: davood's 2024 tomatoes and peppers

Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:22 pm

davood wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:06 am last year I grew:

Tommy Toe, Matts Wild Cherry, Girl Girl's Weird Thing, KBX, Fish Lake Oxheart, Earl of Edgecombe, Dester, ISPL, Vorlon, and Rebel Yell.

Really liked the production and fruit quality of KBX and Fish Lake Oxheart. ISPL produced like gangbusters but had so much cracking and splitting. Got some seed for Spudakee which is supposed to crack and split less than ISPL, but will probably save it to plant next year.

This year I'll regrow KBX and try a few new varieties:
How did you like Dester and Rebel Yell? I haven't tried Dester yet but it's on my tentative grow list for this year. I'm curious how it did for you since you're more or less nearby. I like Rebel Yell and Kellogg's Breakfast a lot, and they've done very well for me.

davood
Reactions:

Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:39 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:22 pm
How did you like Dester and Rebel Yell? I haven't tried Dester yet but it's on my tentative grow list for this year. I'm curious how it did for you since you're more or less nearby. I like Rebel Yell and Kellogg's Breakfast a lot, and they've done very well for me.
Both were superlative in flavor, both have old fashioned tomato taste and a bit on the sweet side. Rebel Yell had more fruit per plant, but Dester produced more ounces overall. Both had issues with splitting for me, Rebel Yell to a lesser extent.

However, both were among the least productive tomatoes I grew last year, so this year am moving on to different varieties. I have 51 varieties of tomato seeds and it's so hard to choose among them.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:38 pm

davood wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:39 pm I have 51 varieties of tomato seeds and it's so hard to choose among them.
I hear that! I've been working on my list for weeks and still haven't nailed it down.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”