Cherokee Purple Yield

Everything About Tomatoes
ZachSandersMusic
Reactions:

Cherokee Purple Yield

Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:15 pm

Hey guys! I’m getting ready to plant pretty soon and I want to get an idea of what I can expect yield wise. I’ll have 250 plants total, 119 of which will be Cherokee purple since that’s what my customers want. How much does your Cherokee Purple yield per plant during an average year?

Thanks!

Paulf
Reactions:

Re: Cherokee Purple Yield

Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm

Being a little anal about keeping records, my Cherokee Purple yields cover fourteen years but only one plant per year. My average number of tomatoes is right at 14 with weight average at 12 ounces. Cherokee Purple in my garden is not one of the more prolific varieties, but the flavor is in the excellent range.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:08 am

I've only grown it twice (three plants total). The first time, I had two plants each in different poor conditions. The next time, I grew one plant in the best spot in the garden. If you have good soil and conditions, it can yield quite a lot of big fruit. In poorer soil and conditions, don't expect much fruit.

I didn't count the fruits, but on the good year, it wasn't quite as many as Aunt Ginny's Purple in the same spot. It was still a lot, though.

One thing you'll probably want to know if you're growing it for market is that CP is a juicy tomato (at least, it was for me when I grew it).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:36 am

ZachSandersMusic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:15 pm I’ll have 250 plants total, 119 of which will be Cherokee purple.
You're nuts! And I'm jealous! That's a lot of tomatoes.

Obviously yield depends on a number of factors. Soil quality is foremost. Then keeping bugs and disease away to protect your marketability. I'd call CP a medium yielder, to maybe medium high. It's not going to produce quite like a hybrid, but it is a far cry from a lot of heirlooms that make 3 to 5 delicious tomatoes per plant.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:04 am

Two years ago, I received seeds from Fusion Power of the Cherokee Jumbo variety, which according to him is more fertile than Cherokee Purple, while the fruits, their taste, etc. are identical. I checked it out and it really seemed to me that this variety was more fertile.
Vladimír

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:50 pm

MrBig46 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:04 am Two years ago, I received seeds from Fusion Power of the Cherokee Jumbo variety, which according to him is more fertile than Cherokee Purple, while the fruits, their taste, etc. are identical. I checked it out and it really seemed to me that this variety was more fertile.
Vladimír
Ooh. I have not heard of this. I have had middling production and lots of BER with CP the last few years. I chalk that up to the advanced age of my seeds - I have several other blacks that have served me well, and I never got a fruit from CP that was idyllic enough to save seed from. Gary'O Sena, Black Krim and our "Jen's Mystery Black" have done much better for us, so there just wasn't a need.

Perhaps a change up is what is called for here. Is Fusion Power a person, or a seed seller? Are the Cherokee Jumbo seeds available here?
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

MrBig46
Reactions:

Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 am

Fusion Power ( Darell) is a prominent member of Tomatoville, who is engaged in the breeding of tomato varieties and sells thousands of tomato seedlings every year. He does not trade in seeds. He exceptionally offered some seeds from his breedings and selections and I asked him to send me some (Lorelei, Hibor, Pienollo del Vesuvio x La 41017 and also Cherokee Jumbo). I grew Cherokee Jumbo at the same time as Chrokee Purple and indeed the ChJ plant was more vital and fertile. Since then I have grown every year. I still have some seeds and I probably won't need them, because I'm going to have surgery on both knee joints. I could send them, but I don't know if they would still reach you for sowing this season.
Vladimír

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:27 pm

Paulf wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm Being a little anal about keeping records, my Cherokee Purple yields cover fourteen years but only one plant per year. My average number of tomatoes is right at 14 with weight average at 12 ounces. Cherokee Purple in my garden is not one of the more prolific varieties, but the flavor is in the excellent range.
That's about what I average. I just wish that there was average weather, here. Extreme weather can mean 1 tomato or 30 tomatoes. A "very good" year will be about 20.

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:53 pm

MrBig46 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 am Fusion Power ( Darell) is a prominent member of Tomatoville, who is engaged in the breeding of tomato varieties and sells thousands of tomato seedlings every year. He does not trade in seeds. He exceptionally offered some seeds from his breedings and selections and I asked him to send me some (Lorelei, Hibor, Pienollo del Vesuvio x La 41017 and also Cherokee Jumbo). I grew Cherokee Jumbo at the same time as Chrokee Purple and indeed the ChJ plant was more vital and fertile. Since then I have grown every year. I still have some seeds and I probably won't need them, because I'm going to have surgery on both knee joints. I could send them, but I don't know if they would still reach you for sowing this season.
Vladimír
That is a kind offer, thank you.

I will take you up on it and make room for a trial next season. May I send you a PM?
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

MrBig46
Reactions:

Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:35 pm

Send me a PM. I couldn't remember the full name - Darell Jones.
Vladimír

Doffer
Reactions:

Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:23 pm

MrBig46 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 am Fusion Power ( Darell) is a prominent member of Tomatoville, who is engaged in the breeding of tomato varieties and sells thousands of tomato seedlings every year. He does not trade in seeds. He exceptionally offered some seeds from his breedings and selections and I asked him to send me some (Lorelei, Hibor, Pienollo del Vesuvio x La 41017 and also Cherokee Jumbo). I grew Cherokee Jumbo at the same time as Chrokee Purple and indeed the ChJ plant was more vital and fertile. Since then I have grown every year. I still have some seeds and I probably won't need them, because I'm going to have surgery on both knee joints. I could send them, but I don't know if they would still reach you for sowing this season.
Vladimír
Interesting, what is the history of Cherokee Jumbo?

Return to “Tomato Talk”