Sarpo Mira and French Charlotte

PoisonApple
Reactions:

Sarpo Mira and French Charlotte

Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:40 pm

Anyone else grown either of these cultivars? This is my first year growing both. I Have heard amazing things about the disease resistance and storability of Sarpo Mira. I’m curious to see how these do in my Northern Colorado climate. I’ve also heard great things about the taste and texture of the French Charlotte.

The Charlotte are waxy and the Mira are floury.

svalli
Reactions:

Re: Sarpo Mira and French Charlotte

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:46 am

I have grown Sarpo Mira now for three years. First year when I grew it I was amazed that the stems were green and growing when all other cultivars were already brown. It will grow until first frost kills the vines. Since it grows so long time, some of the tubers get huge, while there can still be small ones just starting to grow. I like the taste and texture of this. The big ones are great as baked potatoes and it is a good all purpose potato.

Sarpo Mira are here on the front.
Sarpo Mira and Muse.jpg

I have not grown Charlotte, but last year I got Amandine, which has Charlotte as one of the parents. Amandine is beautiful potato, but there is something in the taste which do not like. I am now trying to find seed potatoes of Juliette, which is similar French variety and is more blight resistant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

PoisonApple
Reactions:

Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:42 am

svalli wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:46 am I have grown Sarpo Mira now for three years. First year when I grew it I was amazed that the stems were green and growing when all other cultivars were already brown. It will grow until first frost kills the vines. Since it grows so long time, some of the tubers get huge, while there can still be small ones just starting to grow. I like the taste and texture of this. The big ones are great as baked potatoes and it is a good all purpose potato.

Sarpo Mira are here on the front.
Sarpo Mira and Muse.jpg

I have not grown Charlotte, but last year I got Amandine, which has Charlotte as one of the parents. Amandine is beautiful potato, but there is something in the taste which do not like. I am now trying to find seed potatoes of Juliette, which is similar French variety and is more blight resistant.
That looks like a nice harvest. I have heard that Sarpo Mira make great bake and fry potatoes. I look forward to seeing the outcomes. Have you ever saved the Sarpo Mira tubers to replant the next season? I have heard that they store well and was hoping to find a way to store some over winter for replanting.

svalli
Reactions:

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:45 pm

PoisonApple wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:42 am That looks like a nice harvest. I have heard that Sarpo Mira make great bake and fry potatoes. I look forward to seeing the outcomes. Have you ever saved the Sarpo Mira tubers to replant the next season? I have heard that they store well and was hoping to find a way to store some over winter for replanting.
Yes, I have planted self grown Sarpo Mira now two years and will do it again this year. I store potatoes over winter in my in-law's old root cellar.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

Return to “Potatoes”