Free tomato seed from an unusual plant

Mike in Chicago
Reactions:

Free tomato seed from an unusual plant

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:44 pm

I'm offering free seed of this tomato to anyone in the USA or Canada. Its history:

I save seed regularly and one year this plant grew from OP Sungold seed I'd harvested from my garden. The tomatoes of this one plant, however, were larger, almost-paste-tomato-size, and the really large ones have that bit of orangey-red mottling that is reminiscent of Striped German, which I was also growing that year. For the record I was also growing Kellogg's Breakfast and Amish Paste, both possibilities as well for a pollen donor. I'm leaning toward SG because of that red-orange-y mottling.

The flavor is very good, sweet but balanced with acid like Sungold but with much more tomato depth. It's also as productive as a Sungold, producing oodles of tomatoes all season like a cherry tomato would. I've saved cuttings the past few years and grown them on because it's so productive and tasty. I've not sown seed before because I'm not sure if it would come true from seed or not. I don't have the space for dozens of plants as one should do to figure this out.

I live in the Chicago area, z5, and want to give this seed to as many who would like to grow it out. I'll mail them to you (or drop them off) if you let me know what the plant is like!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve ok
Reactions:

Re: Free tomato seed from an unusual plant

Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:32 pm

PM sent

bower
Reactions:

Re: Free tomato seed from an unusual plant

Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:29 pm

Those look lovely. A worthy grow out! :)

Edited to add: this might just be a mutant, and if so it would be true to seed.
None of the parents you listed are likely to produce orange fruit with Sungold.
Afaik Sungold is a Beta orange, so unless the F1 fruit eventually turn red, it would have to be crossed with another Beta orange fruit.
If they do turn red when very ripe, then the shape might be your best clue to the other parent. Amish Paste perhaps?
Kelloggs Breakfast is a tt tangerine orange fruit. These genes don't interact with Beta, you wouldn't get orange from B/- t/-.
Striped German, being a bicolor, may be less likely than a red. Afaik Beta is only expressed in a full red background RR. Although I don't know if ry (bicolor) has been tested for partial expression of Beta orange.
If the inside when sliced looks similar to Striped German, then I think it's another possibility.

Either way it's nice looking fruit!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Seed Offers”