Bouquet Dill

crunch1224
Reactions:

Bouquet Dill

Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:05 pm

I grow Bouquet Dill, well I did before losing my patch due to moving to a new place. I have to establish a new patch now. I'm kinda bummed at losing my old garden, but then again I get to work with a new one. I didnt grow Dill last year because I was establishing a entire new garden and just didnt have the time, but this year im expanding again and will get my herbs going.

So Dill, Bouquet Dill has been my go to for pickling for a long time. I have thought about growing mammoth maybe fern maybe some other type, but I never do hehe. Its kinda like once its there its there and you kinda expect to see it without really thinking about it once its established.
~ I talk to my plants ~

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Bouquet Dill

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:10 pm

My go to variety of dill for years has been Dukat, as it seemed the slowest to bolt of all I tried. A couple of years ago, I tried Tetra for the first time, and it was also slow to bolt, and even larger than Dukat, getting actually too large in the hydroponics, the roots almost too large to remove through the hole. Bouquet, Mammoth, and Fern leaf were more for the seeds, when I tried them, so if that's what you're looking for, those will all be good.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

crunch1224
Reactions:

Re: Bouquet Dill

Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:10 pm My go to variety of dill for years has been Dukat, as it seemed the slowest to bolt of all I tried. A couple of years ago, I tried Tetra for the first time, and it was also slow to bolt, and even larger than Dukat, getting actually too large in the hydroponics, the roots almost too large to remove through the hole. Bouquet, Mammoth, and Fern leaf were more for the seeds, when I tried them, so if that's what you're looking for, those will all be good.
I use Bouquet Dill for pickling cucumbers. I cut the heads before the seeds turn brown and freeze them so I really dont mind if they bolt early. If I have fresh heads and pickles at the same time I use them first but if not I use the frozen ones.

I like how Bouquet reseeds itself, so I guess them producing more seeds than other types is ok with me hehe. I did have to mow back the dill patch from time to time to keep it from spreading, but it wasnt any trouble at all.
~ I talk to my plants ~

Return to “Herbs”