Hellmans on amzon 3 for $8.84 s/s

JRinPA
Reactions:

Hellmans on amzon 3 for $8.84 s/s

Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:02 am

EDIT
Oh my, before ordering, look at the Recent Reviews...seems to be a whole lot of problems this last month.
I already ordered, supposed to arrive on Friday, I'll report on the state of the colloid...

Probably out of code by July but....3 bucks a jar for hellmans. If you don't subscribe and save much, basically you (I) sign up for it, pay the good price now, then after it is delivered, cancel the subscription so that they don't raise the price to $6 a jar for the next shipment. (or let them ship it, then complain and get your money back and keep the second shipment for free since they won't take returns on food). Abuse as you please, JB ain't hurtin for money!
https://www.amazon.com/Hellmanns-Mayonn ... B08MN7RQW4

If there is a way to change the link to a primalcajun ref to help the site, feel free to modify it, moderators.

I got a similar deal a couple months back on the west coast version of Hellmans.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: Hellmans on amzon 3 for $8.84 s/s

Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:54 pm

Oh Amazon, very bad, very yucky.
Gray on the bottom, and one of them is leaking. Dated good though December 24
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
01.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:01 pm

Actually the color is identical to my last store bought which is still unopened from September, which should be fine. But having mayo welling out is yuck.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:09 pm

Cargo hold in jet was lower pressure than inside the mayonnaise jar.
Mayonnaise isn't even vacuume sealed.
It had to have some place to go.
If there was a cargo plane involved.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:21 pm

Could be.. they don't think this stuff out.
I got refunded, keep or dispose.

Checked the price yesterday at WM, it was $6 a jar.
Not that I want to support them much more than Amazon.

Bought an LED spotlight yesterday, at walmart. Climbed up the ladder and unscrewed the 11year old halogen sylvania. Checked the threads to confirm, same. Screwed in new Great Value or whatever walmart LED spotlight. Came in 2 pack, couldn't buy one, supposed to last 9 years, but couldn't buy a single. Screw that in, felt like it probably seated. Climbed down. Turn on. No light. Turned off. Climbed up, unscrewed, looked it over, screwed it back in. This time I screwed in a little harder and it went in another two turns. Got down. Turned on light, no light, turned off light. Climbed back up. Unscrewed new LED for the second time, comes out real easy. The base of the bulb stayed in the light socket, and the little bit of plastic and glue sheared, so I have the rest in my hand.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:26 pm

You would think since they dropped 2 oz a few year ago, the jar should have enough headspace for air travel. But is mayo something they would put on a plane? I don't know, maybe. Definitely something you would not buy at the store, with a leak at the lid. But the robots packing the boxes don't care.
Bad robot. No WD 40 tonight for you.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:28 pm

JRinPA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:26 pm You would think since they dropped 2 oz a few year ago, the jar should have enough headspace for air travel. But is mayo something they would put on a plane? I don't know, maybe. Definitely something you would not buy at the store, with a leak at the lid. But the robots packing the boxes don't care.
Bad robot. No WD 40 tonight for you.
No kidding. 😂
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:25 pm

Well I opened that one, it doesn't smell bad or anything. It looks creamy white on the inside. There is a caveat note on the label that notes/admits that the 100% recycled plastic used in the jars makes the mayo look grey from the outside. So I guess the little bit of oil settling to the bottom isn't actually corpse grey, just looks that way due to recycling.

There is no foil seal under the plastic lid. It is one piece of plastic with the tamper seal that was unbroken. But apparently there is siphoning possible from either pressure/temp change or...they were boxed secure so shouldn't have been squeezing.

I think they should just go back to glass. No gray pallor. No product leaking. And can re-use them for canning jars. 32oz glass, please.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:22 pm

Mayo season, for me, begins about the 4th of July, and runs into September, as far as the hot weather will extend it. Macaroni salad, potato salad, tuna salad/chicken salad/ham salad sandwiches and BLTs, mostly. Somewhere, around here, I have a recipe for tomato pie, which I'll have to find.
I use about 1 jar a month in the summer, and 1 more jar for the rest of the year.

A new brand showed up about a year ago, "Dave's" (I think), at something like 2.79/30oz jar, slightly undercutting the competition for lowest price. I haven't bought Hellmann's in years, and don't miss its price. I do stay away from the low fat versions of mayo, as they are kind of chalky, in my opinion.

CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:43 am

Tormato wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:22 pm Somewhere, around here, I have a recipe for tomato pie, which I'll have to find.
Love that tomato pie recipe if you find it!
- Sandy zone 6A

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:46 am

I won't need to buy Dave's this year, I have a bunch now. I'll look for it though. KFC coleslaw recipe was a big mayo user last year, that will be before BLTs.
That's what Duke's did up here, for a while, undercut the price. Was that about 4-5 years back when it came up here? And was priced well under Hellmann's, and bragged about retaining 32 oz jars. Now it is down to 30. This current WM price is 4.64, hellmanns price is 6. But when the season come they will be about the same, because hellmanns will do coupons or deals.
Head to head I prefer the taste of hellmann but dukes is good enough.

This deal on amazon is great, but, you get what you get, it is a sealed 3 pack. No one with a pulse is inspecting it. Worth may be right, though I wouldn't think of mayo as air freight value, $1.50/lb in sale prices, profit at much less? I guess why not, I certainly don't know how much excess capacity amzon has by now. Even the ones you get the store, I guess they are sealed the same way now? No foil seal under that plastic lid, and if a store clerk sees that on the outside, it gets wiped off, or rejected. I put the yucky one in the fridge right away, it didn't smell bad, just, yuck. Some reviews on amazon show pictures of much worse separation and such. After opening I wiped he rim, inside lid, spooned off the top, gave it a smell and then a taste. Seems fine.

I think they are making a mistake using recycled plastic, it really does look off color when looking through the jar.

Return to “Sales/Bargains/Coupons/Promo Codes”