I thought that I could jump it

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Yak54
Reactions:

Re: I thought that I could jump it

Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:41 am

Gary, Lucky you didn't get hurt more severely from your description. Maybe you have a guardian angel watching out for you. You could have tore up a knee or even broke a leg. Glad it's only a sprained wrist. It would be hard planting your garden with a leg in a cast. Is your wrist still tender ?
Dan

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:00 pm

There is just barely enough lingering pain to know that I sprained it. However, I am not going to do any cooking with my 11" cast iron skillet anytime soon.

I may have jarred my back a bit in the incident, as the past two nights I've had severe back spasms, worse than anything over the past few months. But then, it also could be the weather, which is what causes most of the spasms. There was about a week of decent weather, which turned to cold and damp for the past several days. The forecast looks good, several days of dry cool weather followed by perhaps the first warm stretch of the year. That first warm stretch was predicted for two weeks ago, but never happened.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:37 pm

As careful as you may be there is always that unpredictable event that catches you by surprise.
Just yesterday I was looking at a sack of old sprouted potatoes and something out of nowhere hit me in the eye.
No idea what it was.

Another time I was on our place and it was raining hard.
There was a cut that went through one of our big fields that had a torrent of water running through it.
The water came down out of the mountain.
Got too close and the bank caves in.
I ended up washing down the stream for about 100 yards or more before I could grab hold of a root and pull myself out.
But I held on to that rifle. :lol:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Yak54
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm

Wait till you get really old and then everything starts to hurt. But you have a bunch of good years before that happens. Stay safe !
Dan

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:10 pm

Yak54 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm Wait till you get really old and then everything starts to hurt. But you have a bunch of good years before that happens. Stay safe !
Or work really hard all your life and be worn out too soon.
I have a finger that was injured back when I was 22 that throbs now when it gets cold.
Worth

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:19 pm

Yak54 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm Wait till you get really old and then everything starts to hurt. But you have a bunch of good years before that happens. Stay safe !
Hopefully that is many years away. When the weather is warm, my body is usually completely pain free.

Homegrwoninillinois
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:09 pm

So sorry to hear about this. I’ve been struggling with something with my wrist, elbow and shoulder since last September. I hope you heal quickly. Have you ever tried any of the liquid IV packets to mix with water? They help my muscle spasms some. My favorite is the lemon lime flavor. Wishing you a quick recovery, friend!
Tomato and pepper collector :D Zone 6a, Northern Illinois.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:24 pm

Yak54 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:41 am Gary, Lucky you didn't get hurt more severely from your description. Maybe you have a guardian angel watching out for you. You could have tore up a knee or even broke a leg. Glad it's only a sprained wrist. It would be hard planting your garden with a leg in a cast. Is your wrist still tender ?
Part guardian angel, part situational awareness, perhaps. I've has several things happen in my life that I cannot completely account for. Too many of them to think, why am I still here?

Once I was walking down a sidewalk of a fast and busy 4-lane highway. I was approaching a place where on the opposite side of the highway, was a turn off road. So, when traffic is coming in my direction, the inside lane stops and backs up, for a vehicle wanting to make that turn.

I noticed in the distance, a car in that lane, traveling at an extremely high rate of speed. I knew he was going to switch to the outer lane, so that he didn't have to slow down. In fact, this is the type of driver, when in the fast lane, floors the accelerator when changing lanes, so that they don't have to look in the rear view mirror for traffic. What that driver didn't know, but I did, (because the vehicle that wanted to turn was a huge box truck blocking his forward view) was that this other lane had slowed down with a slow moving tractor trailer. This all took place on a fairly steep upward hill.

I immediately recognized that this speeding driver had nowhere to go but up on the sidewalk. I don't know if he immediately saw me, but the woman passenger did. She put her hands over her eyes and screamed. Meanwhile, I had about 2 seconds to quickly move about 4-5 feet off the sidewalk. The car barely missed me, skidded to a stop, the woman turned white and fainted. To this day, she probably thinks that I was a ghost and the car passed right through me. Why am I still here?

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:38 pm

Homegrwoninillinois wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:09 pm So sorry to hear about this. I’ve been struggling with something with my wrist, elbow and shoulder since last September. I hope you heal quickly. Have you ever tried any of the liquid IV packets to mix with water? They help my muscle spasms some. My favorite is the lemon lime flavor. Wishing you a quick recovery, friend!
Liquid IV packets? Like virtually all medicines, I have no idea what that is.

Sometimes I'll be in a group, and someone will ask how I'm feeling, and a few times I'll have a hurting back. They'll all start rattling off prescription drug names, nodding in agreement with each other, offering me a few pills or patches that they no longer need.

I've had to sometimes shop in the OTC section of WalMart, for others. It takes me about an hour to find what I'm looking for.

I haven't had so much as an aspirin in 50 years. :oops:

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 pm

I never think I can jump it...because I most surely cannot. Your description reminds me of a duck swamp I sunk into...one step too many, that leg went down and down, while my other leg was stuck across a submerged log or stump.

Feel better tormato.

Homegrwoninillinois
Reactions:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 am

Tormato wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:38 pm
Homegrwoninillinois wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:09 pm So sorry to hear about this. I’ve been struggling with something with my wrist, elbow and shoulder since last September. I hope you heal quickly. Have you ever tried any of the liquid IV packets to mix with water? They help my muscle spasms some. My favorite is the lemon lime flavor. Wishing you a quick recovery, friend!

Sometimes I'll be in a group, and someone will ask how I'm feeling, and a few times I'll have a hurting back. They'll all start rattling off prescription drug names, nodding in agreement with each other, offering me a few pills or patches that they no longer need.

I've had to sometimes shop in the OTC section of WalMart, for others. It takes me about an hour to find what I'm looking for.

Liquid IV is a drink packet that is supposed to help with hydration. It is in the drink area of a grocery store. You just add a packet to a bottle of water. There is a variety of flavors. :)

I like them for when I am working out in a hot garden.
Tomato and pepper collector :D Zone 6a, Northern Illinois.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:54 am

Homegrwoninillinois wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 am
Tormato wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:38 pm

Liquid IV is a drink packet that is supposed to help with hydration. It is in the drink area of a grocery store. You just add a packet to a bottle of water. There is a variety of flavors. :)

I like them for when I am working out in a hot garden.
Hmm, that might be the solution to my hand cramps. In the cold weather season, I mostly just drink water for hydration. I might need something more.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:33 am

If I get cramps I usually cut back on the coffee a bit. And eat nuts, in case it's magnesium deficiency.
If the Liquid IV has magnesium in it, might be the ticket alright.
I'm glad you're on the mend, Tormato!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:26 pm

Liquid IV sounds like an electrolyte solution, we have several here down under, I drink a fair bit of them on our warmer days, particularly if humid

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 pm

Yeah it sounds like real gatorade, the old green stuff, who knows what is in it now.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:53 am

Many of these drinks are just salt and sugar.
They make it sound healthy but they aren't.
Years ago they used to have salt tablets but about the time Gatorade came along they took the salt tablets away.
Every football game had Gatorade splashed across the screen.
Basically a sugary drink because our nation is hooked on sugar.
They also sell pickle juice.
Worth

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:29 pm

"Brawndo! It's got what plants crave! It's got...electrolytes!" (Idiocracy)

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:36 pm

Let's face it, it is hard to charge much money for salt tablets. That is a tough marketing area. Although they have managed to convince some that pink salt is somehow better than white.

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:59 pm

Low Potassium levels in the blood and tissues can lead to cramps.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-rich-in-potassium
Scientists used to think we needed 3,500 milligrams of potassium a day. Now, the FDA recommends an average of 4,700 milligrams per day. Most Americans don’t meet that goal.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “General Discussion”